Build. the General Lee, tons, 40s, stretch, etc - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, good productive day today! I got a solid 4 hours of work in. First I mostly finished up the Dana 70. Got the other tube all cleaned up, installed the hub, disc brakes, etc. cut down the other chromoly Yukon shaft with the new Dewalt chop saw, got it mostly buttoned up for now.

So with the 70 pretty well buttoned up for now I took ten minutes to clean the garage bay of all the metal shavings and get set to start mounting the tires on the wheels.

Then I went ahead and got the rings prepped and painted. I just scuffed them up with a red scotch brite pad and wiped them down with acetone. Then I picked up a cheap piece of particle board, drove a couple of screws into it and hung the rings. Did the painting with a cheap harbor freight gravity feed gun and used some Summit Racing single stage paint with hardener in Hugger Orange. This is the color and paint I will use for the body as well. I figured the rings would be a good first test. They came out pretty good despite me being a ******* and spraying at way too low a pressure. Finally figured that out after the third coat.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So while I was waiting for the paint to dry I figured I would tackle what I was sure would be the arduous task of getting the tires on the wheels. To my utter astonishment, these are the easiest damn wheels I’ve ever married with a set of tires. Sprayed the tires down with a bit of purple power around the bead, dropped them in from the top, just a slight stretch with a tire spoon and they dropped right in!!

I had all 4 tires on their respective wheels in about 5 minutes!

The. I tossed about a half a jug of air soft pellets into each tire for balancing. I usually use an upturned 5 gallon bucket to put the tire and wheel on to help me center it to get the ring on. However these are too heavy. So I grabbed the leveling blocks from the RV and used those instead. 24 bolts per wheel.

All torqued to 30 foot lbs per the manufacturers specifications.

Then I used the big ratchet strap method to help seat the rear bead.

Managed to get 2 out of 4 finished and aired up before the wife and kids got home. No leaks on either.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #33 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well my fedex guy hated me today. Got home from work to a couple of heavy boxes from Advanced Adapters. :grinpimp:

My new Atlas 4 speed in all its glory

And a box of hardware, fluids, site tube, and cable shifters

Tons, 40s, tons of mods

post #34 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well not a whole heck of a lot worth reporting this week.

I finished mounting up and seating the last two wheel/tire combos.

Then I rolled them all out back and stacked them on a pallet and tarped them to get them out of the garage and out of the way. Realized I neglected to get replacement flange seals for the 70 so I ordered those. The. I went ahead and did another good clean/organize of the garage. I have to go get another tarp so I can roll the axles out of the way and cover them up. Will do that in the next few days. Then, at long last, it’s time to take the rollcage out of the Jeep and roll it into the garage for the tear down.

I managed to get the atlas muscled onto the bottom shelf of my Jeep parts storage rack so that is safely out of the way for now..

Stay tuned, the real fun of this build is finally going to begin.:grinpimp:

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #35 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. Nice productive day today. I wish I had stopped to take pictures of the shenanigans that ensued to remove the roll cage by myself. It was completely unsafe, totally booty, but effective. I took my tall 62” high lift jack maxed out on the rear bar to lift the back end enough to get the B pillar plates clear of the fenders, then took my 48” between the windshieild frame and the dash bar to push it towards the back. Used a strap, come a long, and chains from the railing of my balcony to keep it straight. Got it to the tipping point then just shoved it up and over out the back. Mangling a little sheetmetal in the process. But this tub is scrap anyway so whatever.

Gutted the seats, console, etc out. It’s amazing how much **** I carried in this thing.

After I tipped the cage out the back

For the first time since we bought the house I actually have a vehicle parked in my garage.

I knew my windshield frame was a bit rusty, but I had no idea it was this bad! Luckily I was already planning to order a new one anyway.

And about where I called it a day. Pulled the windshield frame and the hood off.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #36 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I managed to beat the wife home by an hour today so I decided to keep moving forward on the tear down. I started by removing my rock rails and my old comp cut corner armor from Blue Torch Fab. I uncovered some old stickers that I forgot were there. Pretty cool as some of this stuff is no longer around. It’s kind of like a wheeling time capsule.

Jeepaholics.com sticker. The forum is no more but still around as a Facebook group that I still belong to.

This one speaks for itself. Paragon! This was where I discovered my Dana 30 EZ locker was messed up and I broke both front shafts in about 10 feet. Didn’t have a jack at the time so we wedged a log under my front bumper and used my winch to pull the Jeep up on it to get the wheels off the ground and change the shafts.

I was going to scrap the entire body, but I may go ahead and chop these panels off and keep them as garage art. Brought back some good memories.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #37 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My Artec Memorial Day order showed up today. Chevy Dana 60 full Hydro Ram Mount.

I am hoping I can notch it a bit to clear the leaf springs so I don’t have to tip it down super far and I can keep my clearance good up front.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #38 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Back to the tear down today.

My first order of business was to get organized. While I’ve torn stuff apart plenty of times before I have never done something quite this massive with so many parts and pieces. I was concerned about losing track of hardware and small parts over time as this is all blown apart. So I hit up Amazon and ordered up a couple hundred ziplock parts bags in 2 different sizes. I got the ones with the white center band so I can label exactly what is in each bag with a sharpie. While I was on Amazon I also ordered a pack of 50 white cardboard part boxes to organize the bags into. I am labeling each box with a general area of the Jeep, then placing the bags of small parts in those boxes to help keep everything organized by roughly where it came from on the Jeep. Now some of this will be replaced with new hardware. What isn’t replaced will be cleaned up and painted as needed.

Maybe not the most tech heavy post here, but I thought it was a helpful system worth sharing. I also ordered some adhesive wire labels to mark all the wiring as I am disconnecting it to help me put it all back together later.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #39 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

And now onto the good stuff.

First thing I tackled was removing the dashboard.

I can’t believe the amount of dust, dirt, and sand that came pouring out of everywhere as I was working today. Really wish I had bothered to do what I planned and pressure wash the hell out of it before I rolled it in for the tear down. All well.

Once the dash was out of the way I decided to switch gears and move up front. Pulled my old synthetic line off the winch, then removed the winch, front bumper, and blue torch fab DIY tube fenders. All the while removing the hundreds of wires and thousands of zip ties I have added to this thing over the years. Removing stuff bolted to the fenders, removed the pcm which was also packed with dirt, etc.

And that was about the point the wife said she was hungry and wanted to go out to dinner so I called it a day at that. Really leaning towards buying a new wiring harness as mine is just a mess. I just don’t know how I feel about the grand Painless wants for their YJ harness.

I am also thinking now I want new tube fenders. I was going to keep these but they are pretty crusty. Not sure it’s worth the time and effort to strip them down to repaint them.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #40 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

More tear down action today. Removed the steering column, pedals, fuse block, etc. yanked my various ammo can storage boxes, slowly chipping away at it.

Last thing I got done today apart from getting underneath for more wire and hose removal was draining and removing the fuel cell. Also chopped out and removed the exhaust from the cat to the tailpipe. I think next week I’ll be able to start removing the tub.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #41 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well back to work today. My only real goal today was to remove the tub. Since I am still working alone I decided the best thing to do was to cut the tub up into pieces. It’s scrap anyway after 17 years of abuse, mounting and dismounting and moving stuff and so on. It will also be easier to load in the truck to take to the scrap yard this way. Used a combination of a cut off wheel and the Dewalt sawzall to hack the tub into thirds. I also had to cut all but 1 of the body mount bolts.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #42 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

After I got the body off it became very apparent that I do indeed need to clean the piss out of everything that’s left. The transmission, t-case, frame, etc were all covered in a couple of inches worth of 17 years of dirt, dust, grease, and grime. I couldn’t even see the bolt heads on the bellhousing. So I rolled it most of the way out into the driveway and spent a good hour going to town with the degreaser and my pressure washer to clean as much crap off of it as I could. Still didn’t get everything, but it should make working further a bit cleaner.

My now ultra light weight YJ. Yes I still need to drain the radiator and yank the grille. That’s the last body piece still in place.

Last thing I did was take a good look at the now exposed frame to decide the best place to chop it for the stretch. At the moment I am planning a nice clean cut straight thru right here behind the rearmost side body mount. To my eyes it will be the best place to do it as it is still straight and level right here.

Plan for my next day off is to remove the 8.8 and go ahead and cut the frame and stretch it.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #43 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Came home from work today to find that 3 of my 4 Rubicon Expess 1455 SOA springs and th RE poly bushing kit had been delivered.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #44 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So for my Father’s Day present the wife took the kids over to her sisters for the day and left me to my own devices all day. So of course I spent the entire day in the garage getting it done on the Jeep today.

First order of business was to rip out the 8.8 and the rear shocks and suspension.

Then I took some time positioning my jack stands and getting the frame sitting nice and level all the way around.

Once it was nice and level I broke out the speed square and the sharpie and marked my cut lines.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #45 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Roark supply pearl cut off disc on my 4.5” Dewalt angle grinder made ridiculously quick work of the chop. Didn’t even burn thru half a disc on it.

No turning back now.

The new Dewalt chop saw made quick work chopping me a pair of 18” long pieces of steel for the frame stretch.

Then it was a matter of clamping the new sections in place and lining everything up as well as I could.

Then I fired up the welder and burned them in.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in