Build. the General Lee, tons, 40s, stretch, etc - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 177Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I did a thing.

Pretty damn impressed with 4Wheelparts on this one. Ordered the tires online yesterday around 4 pm. Did ship to my local store in El Cajon to save myself the $300 shipping fee. Got a call from a guy at the local store ten minutes after I placed the order. He tells me I am in luck and they have 4 of them in stock at the Compton warehouse and they will be at the store here by 10 am today. He then begs me to pick them up quickly because they don’t have the space to store them. So I got the call at 10:30 this morning that they were in and again the plea to pick them up today if at all possible. So I cut out of work a little early to get there a half hour before they close and we loaded them up. These things are big! Went with the bias ply.
More pics.

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Back to work on the tub a little bit today.

So last time I was working on this I tried my hand at a little filler work. As I said I am no body man. Either it was too hot or I used too much hardener. At any rate, I was attempting to smooth out the vowel vent hole that I filled with a piece of plate and was less than happy with the results. So I took a flap disc and knocked a bunch of the filler out so I could try it again.

Started with this

I am using this lightweight filler I picked up from Amazon. This time I used less hardener .

I think I got it applied much better this time around. Now I am not going to bother with the body patches since they will be covered by the armor. But the cowel area will not be. Because of this I want to get it nice and smooth before I paint it. As it sits right now after applying a fresh coat of filler over the area.

Now I am going to let it harden and cure for a couple of hours before I spray a guide coat and attack it with these that I also sourced from amazon along with an assortment of sandpaper

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #18 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Little more body work today. I am about at the point where I am ready to move the tub out of the garage and move the Jeep in for the tear down.

Looking like I am going to need some more filler work on the cowel still.

In preparation for moving the tub out of the garage I blasted all the bare steel with primer. I am going to wait on the undercoating and the Monstaliner for a while yet. Want to wait and see if I will have to do any more body modifications before I do that stuff and that won’t be until I go to drop the body on the frame.

Last thing I did today was go ahead and get the YJ off the trailer. I parked it in the yard for the moment as I am going to pressure wash the hell out of the undercarriage before I roll it into the garage. Also going to pull the roll cage before it goes in. It will fit with the cage installed but I won’t be able to remove it once it’s in there. Since I had it off the trailer I couldn’t resist a better tire size comparison next to my 35s

Tons, 40s, tons of mods

post #19 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well today was fairly productive for the morning. I put my ghetto fabulous hoist system to work again and removed the tub from the table. Dropped it to the floor, wrapped it up in a tarp and strapped it down to some movers dollies and got it the hell out of the garage. Despite a small hiccup of my daughter deciding to chase her ball right as I was maneuvering it down a small step and narrowly avoiding the tub falling on her (my leg took the brunt of it) I got it out of the way.

So for the first time probably since we bought the house I have a ton of open space in my garage.

So now I have the tub out of the way I have decided to focus on some of the smaller stuff before I roll the YJ in for the tear down. First thing I did was lay out all of my Motobilt goodies that need to be welded up.

So I am going to get all these welded up. The go ahead and finish stripping the axles down. Get all the old mounts and such off that I won’t be needing. Finish building them, finish the disc conversion on the 70, etc. I have all the brake parts on order from Summit as well as a set of Yukon flanges for the 60 which should come in Tuesday. Once this stuff is done it’s the YJs time of reckoning.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #20 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Started burning some of the Motobilt spring and shackles hangers together.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #21 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Parts train kept on rolling in today.

Swag Bertha high clearance body mounts

Yukon Drive Flanges for the 60

And about half of the parts I ordered for the rear disc conversion on the 70. Looks like the rotors and wheel studs shipped from Summit racing’s Ohio warehouse, so I won’t see those for a few days yet.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #22 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well I came home and found I had the house to myself so I managed to sneak in an hour or so worth of work this afternoon. Nothing major obviously with the limited time I had.

Welded up some more Motobilt goodness. Feel like I may be over doing it by fully welding the joints on both sides of the shackle brackets, but what the hell

Then I laid down the first couple of coats of caliper paint on the rear disc calipers and brackets for the 70.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #23 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Came home from work to a nice heavy box from ECGS. 66lbs of Chromoly shafts, joints, and some wheel bearing kits.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #24 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got a couple of hours in the garage this morning. So I decided to start with assembling the short side chromoly shaft and Super Joint as so far I have only disassembled the short side of the 60.

Not too bad for my first time working with Dana 60 stuff. Had to use my shop press for assembly as my bench vice wasn’t big enough to press in the caps. Also discovered I had to remove the zerks from the cap ends to install the shaft thru the knuckle.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #25 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Then I switched gears for a little bit and got to work on fitting the 3/4 ton brake rotors to one of the Dana 70 hubs. I had read that either the rotor needs to be opened up, or the ridge on the back of the hub machined down. I decided to do the hub that way I can just use an off the shelf rotor at any time. Since I dont have a lathe I did it the booty fab way with a grinder and a flap disc.

Then I jumped over to some more painting. Painted the machined wheel hub, one of the front brake calipers, and the front brake bracket and hub that I have removed. Also tossed a few coats of black on the knuckle.

Then started to reassemble the short side on the 60. Waiting for the paint to dry on the hub so I can go install the new bearings and seals, new brake rotor, press the studs back in, install the drive flange, etc.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #26 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Last update for today. Went ahead and assembled a brake rotor onto the painted 70 hub.

I appear to have misplaced one of the studs for the 70 so I need to root around the garage by the press to see if I can find it for the other side. I still have to machine the other hub down so the rotor will fit and then repaint it orange to match this one. I was originally gonna go black on the hubs but I decided with the black wheels it’s just too much. Saw another build on here where someone had painted the hubs a different color and I liked it. This should break up the black nicely.

I also went ahead and placed another order with ECGS for some chromoly shafts for the 70 just a few minutes ago. Go big or go home as they say. I’m hoping I can get the axles pretty much wrapped up for now next week then roll the YJ in for the long awaited tear down. (I feel like I’ve said this before)

So I went ahead and put the 60 hub assembly back together with a new rotor and new bearings and such.

However I hit a little snag. I can’t seem to get the hub seated back on the spindle all the way. I think I drove the seal in too far (it’s not flush with the lip of the hub but set in closer to the bearing.) so near as I can tell, because of this it somehow won’t bottom out on the spindle. And of course I don’t see any way to remove the seal or space it out where it needs to be without destroying it in the process. So I ordered another seal and I will try and seat it flush and see if that makes a difference. Does this sound like it’s my issue? The races are fully seated.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #27 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Came home from work to another big heavy box from East Coast Gear Supply today containing a set of Yukon 35 spline chromoly axle shafts for the Dana 70, a pair of Yukon 1350 forged pinion yokes and 2 sets of Spicer U bolts for the pinion yokes.

My UPS guy must really be hating me.

On the YJ front I finally got the damn hub seated on the spindle. Still not entirely sure what the hang up was. I finally decided to give it some motivation with a dead blow hammer. After about 5 good whacks it finally slid into place and seated. So I was able to get the short side pretty well buttoned up. New Timken bearings and seals, new rotor, the chromoly shafts and Yukon super joint and the Yukon Hardcore drove flanges which I had to basically just figure out on my own as there are no instructions with them or on Yukon’s site. Wasn’t too difficult after I looked at it for a few minutes. Also new brake pads. I did discover I have misplaced the metal shim thing that locks the caliper into place however, so I have to root around and see if I can locate that.

I also managed to get the long side all blown apart.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #28 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Updates for today. I actually got a fair bit accomplished. I finished assembling the long side of the Dana 60. I still need to do a fluid change, hack the spring perch off of it and paint the diff cover and housing. But for all intents it is basically done for now. The housing will get painted after I get it mocked in and burn in the new spring perch.

So with the 60 out of the way it was time to dive in to the 70.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #29 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

First order of business on the 70 was cutting all the crap off the tubes. Spring perches, shock mounts, and the anti wrap bar mounts (po had one on each side)

So I broke out the plasma cutter and blew off the stuff as close to the tubes as I could get without cutting into them. Then spent way too much time with a grinder removing the rest. I actually had to stop after cleaning one side as my hands were vibrating so much and my grinders were getting super hot. So I shifted gears to finish the hub and brake assembly on the side I had finished cleaning.

The I went ahead and cut down the first Yukon chromoly shaft. Amazingly I guessed right on which side it was. That said this shaft is the last thing my harbor freight chop saw will ever cut. It took for ****ing ever to get thru it and I kept tripping the power strip on the welding table. Got an Amazon and ordered a Dewalt chop saw as soon as I finally got thru the damn thing. Hit it with a flap disc to bevel the end a touch to make it easier to spline in.

I also went ahead and got the Ruffstuff diff cover painted for the 70.

That’s about it for this days updates. Slow but steady progress is being made.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods
post #30 of 354 Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Came home from work to discover I had been visited by the beadlock fairy. My ups guy is definitely hating me lately.

Procomp was nice enough to supply all the grade 8 bolts needed for assembly. Yet somehow they were too cheap to include a $2 valve stem with each wheel. Guess I need to pick some up. I still need to paint the rings before I go to mount the tires on them anyway, but yeah, mildly annoying they didn’t come with the stems. I gotta say they appear to be well machined and the quality so far looks pretty nice for what I paid for them.

Tons, 40s, tons of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in