Broken d30 axle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2004, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
kcdee00
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Broken d30 axle

Well, I broke an axle.....and it wasn't my d35...to my surprise, it was the d30!! I went on a run the other night with some of the guys from work and had a blast...We ride this trail often and until now, no one had a jeep big enough to go up this one imparticular hill in which the ruts are about 4 feet deep...I did it and as I got to the top, someone said, man you broke somethin.....I was just hopin that whatever I broke would allow me to get out of there...We looked under the jeep and it was the u-joint on the drivers side....I drove it out of there in 2wheel drive and upon further inspection the next morning, I discovered that when the ujoint broke, so did my shaft......So I ordered a chromoly shaft with the bigger ujoint from Yukon gears...It is supposed to be 70% stronger than stock...I guess I will wait to replace the other side as I am sure I will need it soon....Then I will go to work on replacing the dana 35 and getting lockers!! I have been surprised with it though b/c I havent had any trouble out of it and I am running 35's (granted I am running open diffs for now).

04 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2004, 12:31 PM
jeepnguns

Lets see some pictures.

88 Wrangler
350 Chevy engine vortec heads Holley Pro-Jection
Ford T-18 Tranny
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2004, 12:50 AM
CanukYJ

Breaking a shaft in a d30 is harder than a d35, the trick is though when a ujoint breaks the stresses of it unloading and what not normally damage or break the shaft in the process so it's almost to be expected. Enjoy the new shafts and remember to always inspect ujoints as they age!

My jeep has only ever killed 3 things, a cat, a deer, and my wallet. What's the problem officer?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-17-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
kcdee00
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks

yeah, thats what I was told...I am getting the drivers side shaft (inner and outer) for 118.00...that is a pretty good price, the stock shafts are like 250 or so...its good to have friends! While we are replacing this one I will be sure to take a look at all of my other ujoints as the jeep has 140,000 and I have no clue if they have ever been replaced......

04 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in