Boomerang Shackles - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
lawson1273
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Boomerang Shackles

Whats the opinion on these I am thinking of getting these and getting rid of my 2" shackles. Is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
jgillespie

1991 YJ Wrangler 

completely worth it. very good investment

'91 YJ 4.0 3/4'' Brandon Booms 31/10.50 BFG AT Herc'd CJ dash/tailgate CJ5 seats 4KCs cracked windshield
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER 536

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
post #3 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Brandon_YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

A set of ~3/4" boomerang shackles would compliment your 4" suspensionquite nicely.
Check the YJ Tech FAQ, there's a big thread in there about shackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in a (text only)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused
to see how I view the forum.

post #4 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Tompatt

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
A set of ~3/4" boomerang shackles would compliment your 4" suspensionquite nicely.
Check the YJ Tech FAQ, there's a big thread in there about shackles.
exactly what brandonyj made for me... I ditched my 2" shackles and am almost done with the lift... rides nice in the front... get them.

Thomas
-1987 YJ

post #5 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM
chadroc

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of them from brandonyj on both of my jeeps. Theyre nice!
post #6 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM
4.7stroker

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My understanding is that booms do nothing more than act as shackles on the front. Hole to hole is the lift the angle makes no difference.
On the back they will provide clearance to stop suspension binding and aid articulation.
This is not to say that they don't have some cool factor though.

Dwayne

[url]
Prevent Flat Tappet Cam Failure.

[url]

post #7 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Brandon_YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
My understanding is that booms do nothing more than act as shackles on the front. Hole to hole is the lift the angle makes no difference.
On the back they will provide clearance to stop suspension binding and aid articulation.
This is not to say that they don't have some cool factor though.

Dwayne
For guys with 1" shackles or (gasp) even more, boom shackles do cut back on the Big Brown Bever look as well.
You are correct, there is no benefit of the "design" in the front over a well designed "H" style shackles, but if you have boomes in the back, and are getting new front shackles... might as well keep them the same.

Quote:
in a (text only)
. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused
post #8 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Axl Jack

1994 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP, yes! Get rid of those shackles. Not only do they look awful, but more importantly the taller the lift shackle, the more is messes with your steering. So, when and if you do order some new shackles, do not go over 3/4" lift.

Booms do nothing on the front. So don't order a $100 set from MORE or somewhere similar because you think you need them. If you want them for the look, I suggest getting them from a certain someone who is posted above me. (I have a set of Brandon_YJ's on the rear and I like them. Helps let the back springs clear the rear crossmember more. And they look cooler too.)

94 YJ w/ stuff. All the work/money I put into it, and the comment I get most is my $20 mod: "Hand throttle?!? That's awesome."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcanally View Post
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
post #9 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Booms do nothing on the front. So don't order a $100 set from MORE or somewhere similar because you think you need them. )
I disagree, although the design does not serve the same function on the front as it does the back, the boom design with the bolt in the middle is excellent protection against spring inversion. Not super common on SUA rigs, but it only takes once to trash your spring.

Your limited slip differential sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
post #10 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
bigsquat

1992 YJ Wrangler 

im running 6" booms on the front and 5" on the back. if the front werent booms ,they would look a lot worse. my steering is ok but im on stilts.

red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD:

Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
post #11 of 46 Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Brandon_YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I disagree, although the design does not serve the same function on the front as it does the back, the boom design with the bolt in the middle is excellent protection against spring inversion. Not super common on SUA rigs, but it only takes once to trash your spring.
You're right aboutthe spring inversion prevention... and unintended benefit of the shackle design.
Assuming the person does put a bolt in there.
I should ammend my previous post, how in the hell did I omit that?
But I'm lazy, so I'll leave it be.

Quote:
in a (text only)
If you're still confused
post #12 of 46 Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
GrimJeeper91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I bent both front springs once when my shackles inverted. Now I have booms up there to prevent this. Besides the booms looking a little better they do serve a purpose.

'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
post #13 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
lawson1273
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the boomerange shackles tonight and in the instructions it shows the rear shackle with the curve going to the out side. Well how about the front. Anyone got a pic of these things so I dont put them on backwards.
post #14 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Jeffro06
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson1273 View Post
So I got the boomerange shackles tonight and in the instructions it shows the rear shackle with the curve going to the out side. Well how about the front. Anyone got a pic of these things so I dont put them on backwards.
My MORE booms....

Front

Back

Member of JGW (Jeff's Gone Wheeling) and

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build:

post #15 of 46 Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
lawson1273
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in