Body and suspension lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 04-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nevada Territory
Posts: 8,112
33's will make your Jeep one inch taller.
33's will be one inch closer to your fender flares.

So if you add a 1" body lift, you're back to where you are now.

33's will change your gearing some though, so expect slower acceleration and a further change in speedometer accuracy.

They'll also increase the likelihood of damaging your rear axle so be warned.


End the Ethanol Rip-Off
Chrisnvegas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 Old 04-13-2017, 04:32 AM
fishadventure
Registered User
 
fishadventure's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 6,474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoYJ
So a body lift would be a better solution but just a little more expensive?
Not necessarily. What I said was lifting was a system of numerous parts. A combination of different parts approaches used to get the overall lift you need avoids the potential negatives of a single solution lift. I mentioned a few things with the front end earlier, tall lifts usually have needs to address rear driveshaft also. None of which is groundbreaking. What makes a lift "more expensive" isn't an a+b=c answer. The factory suspension is a system with one component depending on another and working in concert with it. If you change one factor of that system, most often other systems are effected, too. So that requires other parts. Hence more money...

Someone else's post just above here mentioned gaining an inch with body lift to do what you need. I'd start by looking into that.
That's the closest you're going to get to the a+b=c answer in this context.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
fishadventure is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Not necessarily. What I said was lifting was a system of numerous parts. A combination of different parts approaches used to get the overall lift you need avoids the potential negatives of a single solution lift. I mentioned a few things with the front end earlier, tall lifts usually have needs to address rear driveshaft also. None of which is groundbreaking. What makes a lift "more expensive" isn't an a+b=c answer. The factory suspension is a system with one component depending on another and working in concert with it. If you change one factor of that system, most often other systems are effected, too. So that requires other parts. Hence more money...

Someone else's post just above here mentioned gaining an inch with body lift to do what you need. I'd start by looking into that.
That's the closest you're going to get to the a+b=c answer in this context.
Thanks for the help, I'm kinda new to all this haha.

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
 
post #19 of 28 Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
33's will make your Jeep one inch taller.
33's will be one inch closer to your fender flares.

So if you add a 1" body lift, you're back to where you are now.

33's will change your gearing some though, so expect slower acceleration and a further change in speedometer accuracy.

They'll also increase the likelihood of damaging your rear axle so be warned.
So basically an extra 1" body lift with 33s is the same as a 2.5"suspension lift with 31s?

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 04-13-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
What lift do you have? not all 2.5" lifts are actually 2.5". For example, a OME 2.5" lift will often fit 33's out of the box. Some need 1" more of body lift. Others need a little bit of shackle lift in addition to both.

Do not put more than 1" of body lift on.
Well I have a 2.5 rough country, I was told that I could only fit 31s so i don't know what type of lift I have or exactly how tall it is

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Pics or it doesn't exist. Plus, pics would help us solve your problem.
Told my friend to put in information for me while I was on vacation and he screwed up..

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
Cmon now I need help haha

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Randonexplosion
Registered User
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 8,356
Are you going to wheel it or is it going to be a mall crawler? There are a lot of variables and every Jeep is different. Hard top/full doors? Soft top? No top?

The best recommendation I can give is going to be a combination of several things that @jbolty already posted. Small body lift, small shackle lift and trim some metal from your fenders.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 04-17-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
I'm only 16 so I can't do much

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
NachoYJ
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Are you going to wheel it or is it going to be a mall crawler? There are a lot of variables and every Jeep is different. Hard top/full doors? Soft top? No top?

The best recommendation I can give is going to be a combination of several things that @jbolty already posted. Small body lift, small shackle lift and trim some metal from your fenders.
But I do a fair amount of wheeling, not very much rock crawling. Mainly just trailing and muddling. Soft top with full doors most of the time doors aren't on when weather is nice. No fender flares at all. With that being said what do you think. Randonexplosion

NachoYJ
NachoYJ is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog
 
JeeperDon's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoYJ View Post
I was wondering if I could get that clearance just by shackles or if I need a whole body lift, because I'm not looking to spend too much on this.
None of this is cheap. Your best approach is keep what you have until you can get the bucks to do it right, a 4" lift. Then you will likely need a SYE, a drive shaft, and steering work. What new people don't realize is that Jeep was OEM designed as an integrated system, all things matched. When you come along and alter one thing, other things then don't work right. You are then back here asking why your steering isn't right, why you get vibrations when accelerating, etc.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeeperDon is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Mgut94
Registered User
 
Mgut94's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Traverse City
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoYJ View Post
But I do a fair amount of wheeling, not very much rock crawling. Mainly just trailing and muddling. Soft top with full doors most of the time doors aren't on when weather is nice. No fender flares at all. With that being said what do you think. Randonexplosion
I am currently in the same situation as you, when I was in high school I put a 2.5 inch lift and 31s, it's starting to sag and I'm also moving up to 33s. I've considered a few options, first just to swap out the suspension with a new 4" lift, the second a 1 inch shackle lift with a 1 inch body lift, and the third, to add TJ flares and either the body or shackle lift I mentioned before.

I'll probably go with the new 4" just to ditch the sagging springs.

I think that it is really up to you to decide what you want to do based on what you use it for. Whatever it is, it's probably gonna be a little pricey. We are in an expensive hobby after all......
Mgut94 is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Bigmaaty
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brighton
Posts: 299
All good advice above. If you decide to go with a body lift I can hook you up with an inexpensive solution. I have had this on my '89 YJ for two years now and it is holding up well. Take a look. If you are interested send me a pm.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...t#post26289850
Bigmaaty is offline  
Reply

Tags
suspension , tires , YJ

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome