Bimini or Bikini? For the Jeep, not the girls - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As I'm getting my YJ ready to hit the street and dirt, I'm trying to make sure I cover some of the comfort items. At some point I'll need storage and cup holders, but that's for another day lol

As I understand it, a bikini covers the front seats, and a bimini covers the front and back seats. There are quite a few to choose from with varying reviews.

I plan on running top off with half doors and no door toppers. Since I'm in SoCal, I don't really want to bake in the sun, but want to have the open air experience. I figured a bikini to would fit the bill, then I saw the bimini and wondered if that might be a better option.

Also what material would you recommend and why? I don't really have a problem getting wet while driving, but it might be nice if it's raining to not have it all pouring on me. Then again I might just go topless once it cools down again.

Last thought is I don't want something that would be too easy to steal. Maybe something that is relatively quick to put on and remove. Slowly moving in the right direction...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 07:36 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Having had both, without a doubt I'd go with the safari/bimimi top. Even tho they are both 'out in the open', so to speak, the safari keeps the sun and rain out better. But the best surprise for me, was the longer top actually helps create a wind flow/drag that keeps more dust out of the cab. A plus on dusty trails. Don't get me wrong, dust will still come in, it is what it is, but the safari helps a little more.
Edit: I do not think a bikini or safari top is anything to worry about getting stolen... they're not that valuable. also, if you're concerned with security, spend the coin and get a tuffy console. come with cup holder, too. ;-)

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #3 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I second the safari top. I have a mesh one that I used for years. The mesh one is nice because, unlike most other tops, it won't flap on the freeway. It's nice and quiet, and keeps you in the shade. One of the reasons I like the Rampage frameless top so much is that it doesn't flap either, and it's just an expensive safari top when you take the windows off.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 09:03 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Out of curiosity...which is easier to install on the family roll bar? The shorter strapless bikini top is kind of a pain to install....especially once it's started raining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Out of curiosity...which is easier to install on the family roll bar?
Out of curiosity, which roll bar setup do I have? I hear family and sport, but tbh I don't know which one I have. Here is a pic. If you need a better angle let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210315_172023_6_1617853750215.jpg  
post #6 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Probably a better angle lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210305_164003_7_1617854728482.jpg  
post #7 of 22 Old 04-07-2021, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I second the safari top. I have a mesh one that I used for years. The mesh one is nice because, unlike most other tops, it won't flap on the freeway. It's nice and quiet, and keeps you in the shade. One of the reasons I like the Rampage frameless top so much is that it doesn't flap either, and it's just an expensive safari top when you take the windows off.
I just found this one that looks like it might work for both scenarios. Let me know what you guys think of this. Not in a rush to buy it as I still have a few basics to finish up. Just trying to get my buy list together for when it's time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OMLA7K/...VZAYC37MKM6QP6
post #8 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 09:34 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ended up with a Safari top and have liked it. Don’t have a back seat but does keep the back area a little drier for stuff like a lunch box and heavy jackets that are thrown behind the seats.
I do run it because the desert sun does get harsh during the summer, also helps keeps branches from poking down from above in the mountains. As for rain, it helps but usually the left arm/shoulder will get damp and a annoying drip on the left leg, yep first world problem.
Do wish I had some seat covers for when not in use but a blue tarp seems to be working for now.

A safari top and 1/2 doors is my preferred setup on the Jeep but a set of soft upper would be nice for those days with a cold breeze, spring time snow running comes to mind.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #9 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely sounds like safari/bimini is the way I'll be going with this. The one I linked in my earlier post is a two part top which seems at first glance like a sweet solution. But since I have zero real world experience, please let me know what you're using and/or recommend.

All input is very appreciated.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 10:18 AM
cushtech
1993 YJ Wrangler 

FYI - You've got the Family Roll Bars.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 01:15 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

^
ditto, and that style roll bar is suited to the safari top. the old style and you're pretty much stuck with a bikini.
OP, check out quadratech and/or 4wheelparts and compare to the amazon stuff. hard to say, but in the link you posted that one looks purdy thin. not sure if the quality is the same? most solid tops are anywhere from $100-125. But they should last years. as most of us say here... ya get what ya pay for.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #12 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 01:27 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I agree with all of this fully. Including the rampage frameless. You get a full top and a Safari top in one and storage for your windows to prevent scratching. So you can do it while on the go. Fairly quick to manipulate too.

I sold mine to fund other things and have decided to only drive in nice weather now... mesh top is my preferred option (and tonneau).

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #13 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushtech View Post
FYI - You've got the Family Roll Bars.
Thank you for the info. Felt silly for asking something so basic. Would have felt worse ordering something that didn't fit due to my ignorance lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
^
ditto, and that style roll bar is suited to the safari top. the old style and you're pretty much stuck with a bikini.
OP, check out quadratech and/or 4wheelparts and compare to the amazon stuff. hard to say, but in the link you posted that one looks purdy thin. not sure if the quality is the same? most solid tops are anywhere from $100-125. But they should last years. as most of us say here... ya get what ya pay for.
While I would prefer the higher quality items, I'm tempted tp get something that isn't too expensive just to test things out. If it works ok, then I can spend the money on the better one and have a cheap backup or thrasher if I'm going somewhere that might hurt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
I agree with all of this fully. Including the rampage frameless. You get a full top and a Safari top in one and storage for your windows to prevent scratching. So you can do it while on the go. Fairly quick to manipulate too.

I sold mine to fund other things and have decided to only drive in nice weather now... mesh top is my preferred option (and tonneau).
I have seen you mention the Rampage on more than one occasion, and I really like the concept. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend at the moment, but it'll be under very serious consideration once I get my basics taken care of. Do the door uppers that come with that top fit on the half door upper metal things that I have?

I do have what I assume is the factory soft top rails still attached, but I figure I'll end up removing them. Any reason to keep them on since I plan on going with no sides?
post #14 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJ4FUN View Post
Do the door uppers that come with that top fit on the half door upper metal things that I have?

I do have what I assume is the factory soft top rails still attached, but I figure I'll end up removing them. Any reason to keep them on since I plan on going with no sides?
1: yes.

2: yes, you do, but there's no reason to take them off. They don't take up any room where they are, and you can't lose them.
If you meant the soft top hardware.... I think I sold mine in a garage sale when I got the Rampage Frameless top. Keep it if you aren't sure if you'll go to a stock top or the Rampage top in the future.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-08-2021, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for all of the info everyone. Ironically I went to the sites mentioned above and looked hard at the options and realized that the top I was considering was a Rampage product. I think it's a black mesh and not that first funky clear picture.

I have seen great reviews regarding the look, function, and fit of their products. But I have also seen a number of negatives regarding longevity. I see that a number of you have their tops. How have they held up for you over time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in