5Likes
  • 3 Post By cab76
  • 2 Post By Boojo35

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-09-2021, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bilstein 4600s with stock height springs

Anyone have any experience with Bilstein 4600s? I see a lot of recommendations for the 5100s but not as much talk about the 4600s. I'm looking for a well-controlled, not too harsh ride with decent durability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

4600's might be a tad stiff for our lightweight jeeps i believe.

5100s are popular because they make one geared towards and "valved for our YJs". And they come in a length that accommodates the most popular lift spring range. But all our YJs have different weights. I prefered the 5125's immediately to my 5100s (though i really did like the 5100s combined with my springs).

The point here is every YJ is different at this point. Different suspensions, etc etc. It's not a matter of recommending a shock and blanketing their recommendation across all YJs irregardless of the different setups.

Suspension can be thought of as an organism on its own. Many different components are required to work together to make the organism thrive.

your profile is limited... what springs are on your YJ? any lift? stock? aftermarket minimal lift? aftermarket stock height? Why do you need new shocks? seeking a better ride? old ones blown out or worn out and need replacing?

If you're on stock springs... i dont know if you'd be happy with the 4600's... Short wheelbase, leaf sprung and the 4600's (which are HD stock height replacements) might ride terribly. I do not have any experience with the 4600s and i'm sorry if this doesn't help.

Consider it a

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-10-2021, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the bump! So I just got the YJ and the shocks are shot and the springs are rusty (particularly the rear), so I'm planning to replace with stock height general springs. Stock springs are 4-leaf 650-lb springs in the front and 5-leaf 765-lb springs in the rear. I plan to add a little weight to the Jeep, so I'm going to replace with the stock height 4-leaf 840-lb springs front and rear. I was going to go with 5100s but it looks like they're only made for jeeps with at least 2 inches of lift. Seems like the options are limited in shocks for stock height springs. I think I've narrowed it to Bilstein 4600s and Rancho RS9000xl but was leaning towards the 4600s because they're a little cheaper. I've heard mostly good things about the Ranchos but not much about the 4600s.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-11-2021, 06:04 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

How much weight? Are we talking cargo and hardtop weight?

The 4600's will certainly give you durability and it is an 'upgrade'. But peoples sensitivities are what they are and not all 'upgrades' are appreciated by everyone equally.

You can consider the 4600s and the 5100s similar, except as you pointed out, the 5100s are made specifically for lifted applications.

Monotube design. Adaptable.

Really hope someone chimes in with ACTUAL 4600 experience because now you have me curious for my own knowledge base.

I can tell you I have heard of YJ owners not liking their 5100s experience.... I did. I did a lot. Although they may have had terrible poor quality springs, or maybe other components of their suspension weren't up to snuff. This is why I point out all upgraded items are not equally appreciated.

Which manufacturer are you purchasing your stock height springs from? OMIX? Crown? A stock YJ rides pretty well in MY experience. But again, not for everyone.

I would probably go with Crown for the springs, and would probably enjoy combining them with the 4600s just based of my 5100s experience. I know this doesn't really help lol.

It's good discussion regardless.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-2021, 06:06 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My Daily Driver XJ Cherokee has 4600's. 4600's are a bit on the firmer side. The RS9000 are too spendy for me, and any other Rancho is junk. My CJ-7 and one of my XJ Cherokee's had almost new Rancho's on them when purchased, and both rode like a dumptruck. I gave away the Ranchos and switched to BDS shocks on the CJ, and DoetschTech DT 3000 for the lifted XJ Cherokee.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-2021, 06:10 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m no guru but from everything I’ve seen and some rancho shocks that came on a jeep I bought... too stiff. Same with bilstein on a friend’s jeep (OME springs)- it was jarring.
Never try to save money on tires, springs, shocks, or fuel pumps.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 12 Old 03-11-2021, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
How much weight? Are we talking cargo and hardtop weight?

The 4600's will certainly give you durability and it is an 'upgrade'. But peoples sensitivities are what they are and not all 'upgrades' are appreciated by everyone equally.

You can consider the 4600s and the 5100s similar, except as you pointed out, the 5100s are made specifically for lifted applications.

Monotube design. Adaptable.

Really hope someone chimes in with ACTUAL 4600 experience because now you have me curious for my own knowledge base.

I can tell you I have heard of YJ owners not liking their 5100s experience.... I did. I did a lot. Although they may have had terrible poor quality springs, or maybe other components of their suspension weren't up to snuff. This is why I point out all upgraded items are not equally appreciated.

Which manufacturer are you purchasing your stock height springs from? OMIX? Crown? A stock YJ rides pretty well in MY experience. But again, not for everyone.

I would probably go with Crown for the springs, and would probably enjoy combining them with the 4600s just based of my 5100s experience. I know this doesn't really help lol.

It's good discussion regardless.

Yeah no worries- this is useful actually and like you said good discussion- that's why I love jeepforum. I'm not taking cargo into account but will be adding a little more weight to the front than the back. Winch/winch plate, sliders, beefier gas tank skid, and possibly dual batteries are the heaviest adds, but a little more here and there. Came up with an extra 200 or so lbs on the front and maybe an extra 75 or so on the rear. And I have a hard top. I was looking at General Springs for the springs. Will probably go with their 4-leaf HD 840 lb springs all around (stock are 4-leaf 650-lb in the front and 5-leave 765 lb in the rear).
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2021, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
My Daily Driver XJ Cherokee has 4600's. 4600's are a bit on the firmer side. The RS9000 are too spendy for me, and any other Rancho is junk. My CJ-7 and one of my XJ Cherokee's had almost new Rancho's on them when purchased, and both rode like a dumptruck. I gave away the Ranchos and switched to BDS shocks on the CJ, and DoetschTech DT 3000 for the lifted XJ Cherokee.

Thanks is your daily XJ stock or have you added some weight to it? Also stock suspension? Yeah the RS9000s are pretty pricey but I may go with those if it looks like they will give a much better ride. This jeep will be probably 90% on road but it might see some higher speed stuff off road and jolts (but probably not a lot of serious rock crawling). I don't mind a little firm as long as its controlled (within reason - I know its a leaf sprung YJ - expectations can only be so high). I just don't want it crashing around everywhere and rattling the fillings out of my teeth like there's no suspension at all.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2021, 04:43 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The green 99 DD XJ has only the 3" lift, the black 98 DD XJ has stock suspension, I installed 4600's on both. The 4600 are firmer than most other choices, but not unpleasantly so. Both the 2000 lifted XJ and the lifted CJ-7 are smooth riding and well controlled on pavement, and have excellent dampening for the 4x4 trails, with no crashing onto the bumpstops. I will be buying a fresh set of DT3000 for the blue 2000 XJ and would buy BDS or DT3000 for the CJ-7 when the time comes.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2021, 09:59 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can tell you I got a set of the Quadratec Hydros. They come in all sizes. My shocks were shot I wanted something cheap to throw on there for a few months while I figured out what long term shock I wanted. The QTec ones were $140 for all 4. Turns out I love these shocks they ride amazing. Granted I have a heavy Jeep. I am on 37s with 4 inch RE springs and 1 inch shackles with an inch of Body Lift. I got a rear bumper and tire carry with a 35 currently for a spare. I have a bumper and winch up front. But I tell you these QTec ones so far are my Favs. You can get them in Stock height all the way up to 8 inches of lift. The 8.0 shocks are a gas shock and they are quite stiff but the Hydro 7.0s are pretty awesome.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-22-2021, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
cab76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for all the input! Just want to circle back as I finally finished this job a few days ago (the shocks were backordered). I went with the 4600s and am super happy with the results. The ride is exactly what I was looking for - firm and controlled but not harsh. I haven't had them offroad yet, but on bumpy roads the damping seems great.
CJ7-Tim, timatoe and bruinjeeper like this.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-22-2021, 07:22 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

A stock YJ rides pretty well in MY experience. But again, not for everyone.

I have a bad enough back where my riding mower and definitely a bicycle can be too much impact at times...... We do ride on trails that can be bumpy. I would not hesitate to get into my stock YJ and drive it for a long distance on any kind of road or trail. I think that they drive amazingly well and even in stock form they can do some fun things. Hell. My front track bar is still in place.
cab76 and bruinjeeper like this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in