Best way to seat studs in new water pump - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Best way to seat studs in new water pump

Thought I was already to go and boom, realized I didnít transfer the studs to the new pump. I got the old studs off using the two bolt method but Iím having a hard time figuring out how that works in reverse or how snug the studs should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 06:08 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sping to of the fan bolts on the same stud tighten the nuts against eachother then put a wrench on the bottom one to take it out of the old one then the top one to put it in the new one.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think siva ^ was trying to say, jam 2 nuts together on a stud. Then use a wrench to back out the stud. That has always worked for me.

Only thing I can add is, the stud is usually loctited in, and is also fine thread. So don't be afraid to use a little heat to soften the loctite. Otherwise you may twist off the stud, which makes for a bad day.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I think siva ^ was trying to say, jam 2 nuts together on a stud. Then use a wrench to back out the stud. That has always worked for me.

Only thing I can add is, the stud is usually loctited in, and is also fine thread. So don't be afraid to use a little heat to soften the loctite. Otherwise you may twist off the stud, which makes for a bad day.
Yup I was lol My phone messed all that up. Probably didnt help I was typing will in a conference. It was a very boring conference

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I got the studs out without any problem. You think I should use loctite to put them back in? I didnít see any on the threads when I took them out. I made the make of taking the bolts off the studs so I was having a brain fart trying to figure out now to reverse the process to install them.

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
I got the studs out without any problem. You think I should use loctite to put them back in? I didnít see any on the threads when I took them out. I made the make of taking the bolts off the studs so I was having a brain fart trying to figure out now to reverse the process to install them.

Same process in reverse to install them. I use a dot of red loctite just so if I ever have to take the fan off, the studs dont come with it.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I Loctite them too (just blue though). They are fine thread on one end and coarse on the other for a reason. Ideally you want them to stay in the pump flange when you remove the nuts. Loctite helps make sure that happens.

Twisting off a stud is just a PITA. Not always easy to find the correct studs around town.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

And just a friendly suggestion, your questions will make more sense if you learn to use proper terms for items.

Bolts
Nuts

Two different things.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in