Battery Not Charging! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Que89YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Battery Not Charging!

This past weekend I did quite a bit of wheeling, lots of bouncing around, off camber hills ect.. I managed not to break anything! However,

On my ride home I got a cheek engine light on. Looked at my gauges and noticed my battery was at 12.4 while the engine was on (I have a digital volt gauge that is on 24/7 in cab). I typically run 13.5 at idle. I managed to make it home with the battery slowly draining down to 11. when I pulled into my driveway. I charged up the battery over night and its been 48 hours still holding its 12.7 charge.

My first guess was to cheek the 2 fuses that regulate the amps the alternator puts out. Both of those are fine.

I then cheeked my battery terminal connections and the connections on the alternator, including the grounds. all tight.

My battery and alternator are both less than 6 months old. (I know that doesn't make them immune to failing early).

Before I pull out the alternator to have it bench tested is there anything else that could possibly be a culprit? Does the PCM have any control of the alternator? Possibly a loose connection on one of the pins? Are they any external regulators or relays that would prevent the battery from charging?

Thanks for the help JF!

-White Jeep Club Member 231-
Replacing random parts on hunches spurred from other vehicles and peoples experiences with them is the safest bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
On my ride home I got a cheek engine light on
That cheek engine light code was 41. "generator field not switching properly"

Replacing random parts on hunches spurred from other vehicles and peoples experiences with them is the safest bet.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't do mud, but I've read that it can take out alternators.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...

post #4 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I don't do mud, but I've read that it can take out alternators.
I learned that about 5 years ago. Mud is the devil. My jeep hasn't seen mud in forever.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You are not getting enough power out of the alternator. You checked the connections but did you clean them? If they really are clean then you have an alternator issue. Just a heads up, if you are wheeling it you need to get dielectric grease in all the electrical connectors. ALL of them. Hit the battery cables and connectors with real grease. If you have to replace the alternator go with the grand Cherokee alternator. It buttons right up but gives you 135 amps instead of the 90 stock.
bruinjeeper likes this.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #6 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You are not getting enough power out of the alternator. You checked the connections but did you clean them? If they really are clean then you have an alternator issue. Just a heads up, if you are wheeling it you need to get dielectric grease in all the electrical connectors. ALL of them. Hit the battery cables and connectors with real grease. If you have to replace the alternator go with the grand Cherokee alternator. It buttons right up but gives you 135 amps instead of the 90 stock.
Good advice ^^^ And... If you do go with the 135a alternator (which I highly recommend) be sure to look up 'big three wiring upgrade' as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 07:33 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you are still running stock cables I would start there.
As suggested look up the big three and make your own cables.
You are probably going to do it anyway if you go with the bigger alternator.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Bigmaaty
1979 CJ7 

I didn't see 'mud' mentioned in the original post but in Fla. that's a safe bet. My son destroyed two alternators in a year going mudding in his xj. Packs into the back and won't allow the alternator to cool. All good advice above, I would probably start with a bench test at your local parts store.

Last edited by Bigmaaty; 10-18-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: .
post #9 of 12 Old 10-19-2016, 12:21 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaaty View Post
I didn't see 'mud' mentioned in the original post but in Fla. that's a safe bet. My son destroyed two alternators in a year going mudding in his xj. Packs into the back and won't allow the alternator to cool. All good advice above, I would probably start with a bench test at your local parts store.
I guessed. 23 years old, living in Fl.

Maybe this video helped.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clowns, mud and rust. Not necessarily in that order. Well, the clowns stay in first place and the latter are interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-20-2016, 02:57 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont mud often my friends, but when i do... i changed my transmission fluid.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The alternator was dead. Not putting out anything at all.
I would love to do the WJ (or is it ZJ) alternator upgrade but my current alternator was under warranty so that was FREE.
I thought about simply paying the difference but even with a coupon and the difference on my old alt I would have been paying out about $120 for the 98 grand Cherokee v8 135A alternator..

Everything on my jeep is LED or low draw. There are only 2 things that I can think of that use a good amount of power.
1. My air compressor. (used daily)
2. Winch ( which is used rarely)

I desperately need to do the BIG 3 upgrade. Its been on my to-do list forever.

Tags
alternator , battery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in