Bang and white smoke - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bang and white smoke

Catchy title

I went wheeling yesterday, only my third time in the YJ. Just a few minutes in we had a reasonably steep climb with some rocks and debris to navigate. I made a rookie mistake just being in 4WD high. I came up to the first rock, which wasnít huge but big enough I didnít want to hit it with speed and break something, so I rolled up to it and tried to slowly climb over it. Wasnít happening so I gave it more gas and still didnít get over it.

As I let off the gas there was a loud bang, which sounded like a backfire but it was immediately followed by white smoke coming from under the hood through the fender wells. I kept the clutch pushed in and rolled back to a flat(ish) spot and cut the engine off.

The smell was bad, sort of like an electrical fire. Several guys from my group came over to help. Nobody could see any leak or fluid of any sort and it wasnít clear where the smoke came from.

A few minutes later I started it. Clutch worked fine. Engine sounded fine. Only thing that felt off to me was the brake pedal felt soft but I donít see how that could be related.

Anyway, I put in 4WD low and easily climbed up the hill and it was great the rest of the day, with some pretty rough wheeling.

Most everything I find about white smoke and backfire references the tailpipe, not in the engine bay, but the descriptions of burnt coolant sounds consistent with the smell mine had.

Sorry for the long description. Any ideas? I actually have video of this but have to process it, though Iím not sure how much help it will be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 AM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It could have been a backfire. The intake contains a mixture of fuel and air. If the intake is warm enough and the mixture gets lean enough, the fuel can suddenly react with the air. The result is a bunch of smoke and inert gases which stalls the engine. The smoke can pour out of the air cleaner and fill the engine compartment. Waiting a little bit and cranking the engine will generally restart the engine and operation will resume as normal.

Video will help.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
It could have been a backfire. The intake contains a mixture of fuel and air. If the intake is warm enough and the mixture gets lean enough, the fuel can suddenly react with the air. The result is a bunch of smoke and inert gases which stalls the engine. The smoke can pour out of the air cleaner and fill the engine compartment. Waiting a little bit and cranking the engine will generally restart the engine and operation will resume as normal.

Video will help.
Thanks. That makes sense how you explained it. I felt like an idiot and felt bad for holding up the group but Iíll learn.

Iíll get the video up today or tomorrow. Itís actually nice outside for a change so Iím going to enjoy the bright orb in the sky. Oh, and clean the muddy YJ

post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 05:41 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I felt like an idiot and felt bad for holding up the group but Iíll learn.
Yep. That's worth a couple of XP there. Much worse to ignore a warning sign of bad things to come.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2020, 12:21 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

can you post your engine size and yj year?

I can't see the info on the stupid iphone.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2020, 01:01 PM
tchaap

2004 LJ Wrangler 

do you have AC? Could have been an AC line busting, that will disperse a white steamy type smoke when the Freon releases.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure Off-road Park
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
can you post your engine size and yj year?

I can't see the info on the stupid iphone.
4.0, 92, 5-speed, AX-15.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
IronScott

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaap View Post
do you have AC? Could have been an AC line busting, that will disperse a white steamy type smoke when the Freon releases.
No A/C. I have a York compressor and air tank for onboard air where the A/C goes.

Still need to get the video up. Work getting in the way of life this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in