Badlands winch rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I feel like the lesson here is to either buy a $15 winch cover or stop driving through salt water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 03-19-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I feel like the lesson here is to either buy a $15 winch cover or stop driving through salt water.

I’ve never driven through salt water. Yes a cover. And in the future make it 100% waterproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #33 of 47 Old 03-19-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I tried the quadratec winch motor. The motor housing is about 1/8” too small to fit onto the mounting plate of the HF winch. So I tried using the QT motor and mounting plate the the spring loaded support rods are on a bit on an angle. Probably because my winch is so old. I would bet a lot that this would fit a new HF winch. Well. Back to the drawing board.

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner

post #34 of 47 Old 03-20-2020, 11:56 AM
Sprungover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
People say that but forget that most of the cheaper winches are made in the same factory and just rebranded. Even the Warn winches.
according to warn, their VR line is made by a chinese producer that only makes their line. It is a foreign made version of their M line with some cost cutting measures to make it competitive with the cheaper entries.

I had a warn VR10000, smittybilt 9500 and badlands 12k last year to install on my YJ and 100 series landcruiser, both with ARB bumpers. The warn had no components compatible with the others and after taking them apart to clock the housings, the warn seems better sealed and higher quality.

I put the warn in the ARB bumper on my YJ as the cutout was designed for a warn to drop down into the winch cradle. The other two wouldn't fit. If was going to use the winch more frequently, I'd buy the US produced M8000. I do think the badlands or smittybilt are okay if waterproofed. The smittybilt is on my land cruiser and i sold the badlands.

1989 YJ, 1977 CJ-7
post #35 of 47 Old 03-20-2020, 01:59 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ Good to know, thanks.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #36 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I ordered a Qtec winch motor and housing. This also comes with the mounting plate. As you can see in the picture you cannot use the Qtec mounting plate.
So I had to use the Qtec motor with the HF mounting plate. This was a little difficult because the lip on the HF plate is about 1/16” larger the Qtec motor housing. Simple enough though. Took it to a buddy who milled a lip into the Qtec motor housing. Everything bolts up perfectly. I sealed every surface and screw with some silicone. Before installation I temporarily wired up the Qtec motor with the HF control box and everything works fine. I will have more information once everything if together

shaggyjim and 87TPIYJ like this.

post #37 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 03:35 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Appreciate the update.

Bill
Recently discovered I am bi-flexual.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #38 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I firmly believe that at it would’ve been an exact match had my HF winch been newer.

What’s that tell you?!?!

post #39 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 07:32 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I saw HF has a premium grade 12k now. Faster. Haven't seen legit reviews yet.

Bill
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #40 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 AM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do y'all think it would be a pain to switch the wire cable out for synthetic? Since I am not the one that put my winch on originally I am a little nervous as to how it's been used in the past.
post #41 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 11:52 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You should get a new roller fairlead to go along with that new synthetic. Any cable burrs will eat the dyneema up.

Off-brand dyneema winch rope is around for less than a bill and someone on /f12 posted nice instructions on finishing, splicing, and terminating braid a while back.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #42 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don’t you use a hawse fairlead or something like that for synthetic?

bpounds likes this.

post #43 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 05:01 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
Don’t you use a hawse fairlead or something like that fer synthetick
No. You ‘can’ but a roller is much better.

While it is a common belief that synthetic “requires” a hawse, in reality the roller is better for longevity of the rope and performance of the pull.
I don’t know where the misnomer started life.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #44 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a dumb question. Does it matter if your winch cable feeds to the top or the bottom of the drum?

post #45 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 06:15 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I have a dumb question. Does it matter if your winch cable feeds to the top or the bottom of the drum?
I don't know if it matters, but your fairlead mount is going to dictate that for you. Unless you build something. Some use a bottom feed.

Quote:
Don’t you use a hawse fairlead or something like that for synthetic?
There are roller fairleads specific for poly rope. But if you use a cable fairlead, the poly rope likes to snag between rollers in the corners. Aluminum hawse are just simpler.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in