Badlands winch rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 47 Old 03-14-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Cool. So the brush holders are nice and clean? Hardware store or an electric motor shop will have new brushes.

Post a vid when you have it acting like a better winch than badlands!

I canít get the brushes clean and even out of the holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 Old 03-14-2020, 09:16 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Marvel mystery oil

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #18 of 47 Old 03-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

I rebuilt my Warn M8000 years ago and did a thread on it. Itís in my sig. Same technology so it may be relevant. Just keep cleaning it and stick it back together. I used electrical cleaner/spray.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 47 Old 03-16-2020, 05:13 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Electrolysis will get them clean for sure!

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #20 of 47 Old 03-16-2020, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
Electrolysis will get them clean for sure!

Care to explain?

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #21 of 47 Old 03-16-2020, 08:56 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't lose sight of the fact that it is a Badlands winch. I know we all like resurrections and all. But you need to be able to trust a winch, and I'm not sure I would ever again trust that particular unit.

Bill
Recently discovered I am bi-flexual.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #22 of 47 Old 03-16-2020, 09:30 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
Care to explain?

shaggyjim likes this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #23 of 47 Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Don't lose sight of the fact that it is a Badlands winch. I know we all like resurrections and all. But you need to be able to trust a winch, and I'm not sure I would ever again trust that particular unit.

I get it. I get what I pay for. After reading a lot, if I get this thing running I will waterproof it. And use it once a month. Keep things moving.

post #24 of 47 Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
People say that but forget that most of the cheaper winches are made in the same factory and just rebranded. Even the Warn winches.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #25 of 47 Old 03-17-2020, 08:51 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I get it. I get what I pay for. After reading a lot, if I get this thing running I will waterproof it. And use it once a month. Keep things moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
People say that but forget that most of the cheaper winches are made in the same factory and just rebranded. Even the Warn winches.
I think you both misunderstood my point. I have nothing against the Badlands winch. I'm just saying, a brand new one will cost you less than $300. I don't think you can get parts to repair that one properly. And just cleaning up those old parts, from what I can see in the pics, is not going to make that winch reliable. I could be wrong about parts availability - kind of curious about that myself. If you do find parts, to repeat, keep in mind what an entire new and improved one costs.
Awesome and 222Doc like this.

Bill
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #26 of 47 Old 03-17-2020, 02:00 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
I think you both misunderstood my point. I have nothing against the Badlands winch. I'm just saying, a brand new one will cost you less than $300. I don't think you can get parts to repair that one properly. And just cleaning up those old parts, from what I can see in the pics, is not going to make that winch reliable. I could be wrong about parts availability - kind of curious about that myself. If you do find parts, to repeat, keep in mind what an entire new and improved one costs.
Parts Bin

I don’t know but I’d wager all the parts exist and are obtainable.

I’m not being argumentative but there’s almost nothing that’s “made” anymore in sub-assemblies and components - just a product engineered around part numbers in a catalog somewhere

As a project I get fixing it- time and value though... buying a new one and making it dependable and waterproof ranks, too. His call. Having said that if someone gave me one in that condition I’d likely wind up taking it apart LOL

Cranking IS turning over
post #27 of 47 Old 03-17-2020, 03:54 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've had poor luck finding parts for HF stuff. Case in point, I wanted a different size nozzle for their $10 HVLP spray gun. Needed a nozzle and the matching pintle. Still haven't found it, and I tried finding another brand that would fit, and then I tried finding the SAME size so that I could modify it myself. Gave up, and just bought another $10 gun. Which makes me wonder if lack of parts availability is intentional.

But, HF stuff isn't all from the same supplier, and I'm sure it varies. Those brush holders don't look salvageable to me. I'm surprised that the contact springs look as good as they do.

Bill
post #28 of 47 Old 03-18-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well Iíve been everywhere. DB electric couldnít help. HF couldnít help.
I went to a local brush factory. Said he can get me the brushes the the end plate, or holder he cannot. He said the motor looks fine.

Iím going on a hunch here. Quadratec motor looks very similar so I bought one. Will see if it works or itís parts. If not Rugged Ridge sells parts for their winches. They also look similar.

I agree it might not be very reliable going forward but now Iím on a mission. Itís become a project.

bpounds likes this.

post #29 of 47 Old 03-18-2020, 07:37 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Well I’ve been everywhere. DB electric couldn’t help. HF couldn’t help.
I went to a local brush factory. Said he can get me the brushes the the end plate, or holder he cannot. He said the motor looks fine. I’m going on a hunch here. Quadratec motor looks very similar so I bought one. Will see if it works or it’s parts. If not Rugged Ridge sells parts for their winches. They also look similar. I agree it might not be very reliable going forward but now I’m on a mission.lk
Go to a starter, motor, alternator shop. You’ve been shopping for parts. A good local rebuilder (if it’s like here) will have something that fits. That’s what you need, or a brush holder and brush assembly you can tack on.

I could be wrong but the shop local to me has been able to fix or supply parts for 100% of everything I’ve done. The spray guns are somewhat proprietary ( they don’t follow industry standards) but their electric stuff is usually cross-brand and private label purchase orders. That’s why the SKUs change or there’s multiple #s for identical or nearly identical tools.
bpounds likes this.

Cranking IS turning over
post #30 of 47 Old 03-18-2020, 08:24 PM
fawndog

1997 ZJ 

I bet you could pinch them out with channel locks. The corrosion swelled the brush holders ID, you can get brushes so it wont matter if they break.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in