Badlands winch rebuild - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Badlands winch rebuild

I have a 12,000 pound badlands winch. I believe it is a harbor freight winch. It stopped working the other day. I could hear the solenoid click but nothing would turn. Has anybody taken one of these apart and cleaned it up or freshen it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-12-2020, 03:49 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would bench test first. Likely it is only one of the solenoids.

Bill
Recently discovered I am bi-flexual.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-12-2020, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I would bench test first. Likely it is only one of the solenoids.

Can you explain. Iím assuming a bench test means just that. Hook up to an external battery on my work bench? Arenít the solenoids in the control box of the winch?

I found this video which seems to be very informative.

However I canít get my box open.

I also opened the motor end and it looks to be pretty rusty in there.

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner

post #4 of 47 Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You need to clean up those brushes and the rotor. Then, when you put everything back together, seal the end cap so it won't rust again.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 47 Old 03-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Sprungover

post #6 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 04:26 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There’s schematics for winch solenoids and wiring on the ‘net. I’d post one but you can find them easy.

But ya, that motor case needs severe cleaning out!

Anyways, you might go the HF website and download the manual- the schematic may be in there as well as service part numbers. I don’t know if HF would be more or less money than the auto parts store. A whole winch relay assembly is like $60-$75 iirc

But if it clicks and doesn’t run; from the looks of things in there you might be able to get it rolling again by cleaning the motor, brushes, checking bearings... That thing doesn’t look like an electric motor should inside for sure!

Since the motor looks so poor I’d service that and bench test before I went after solenoids. A bad solenoid is a highly likely suspect but the motor needs service anyway so do that first. Otherwise it’s like putting new spark plugs in a motor that won’t start because it has a broken timing chain.

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 AM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have to take the box off the winch to open it. I just rewired the same winch, well the main positive and negative wires, the 4 guage ones, and to do that you have to open the control box. There is 4 small screws on the bottom of the box once you take it off.
post #8 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 06:35 AM
Wookiedave

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a before and after
Attached Thumbnails
2020-03-01 12.17.14.jpg   2020-03-07 11.46.38.jpg  
post #9 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

does anyone know how to remove the motor?

post #10 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 08:52 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You've had water get into the motor. I agree that needs to be cleaned up. If you're lucky you won't even need any parts.

By bench test, I mean test the motor using a battery and jumper cables. Connect power directly to the motor. Not through the solenoids. You'll need to know where to connect your cables, and without seeing your rig I won't try to tell you which leads. A 3 post winch will have one power post, and one post for forward, one for reverse. If the motor runs, that tells you the solenoid(s) were the problem.

You said it clicks, which makes me think you have the old Ford cylindrical solenoid style box. It is common for those to fail, but the other one still clicks. The solid state style is like the pic wookie posted. They are NOT really solid state, but folks tend to call them that. All you can do with those is replace it. But having seen your motor pic, chances are it is corroded in the motor.

Bill
Recently discovered I am bi-flexual.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2" lift + 1" BL + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #11 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So the motor is pretty bad. There is rust everywhere. All over the field coil. The brushes are covered. I believe these brushes are suppose to move in and out and are basically spring loaded. I canít get them to budge. Any ideas how to clean in here?

post #12 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
At this point it’s so bad you aren’t going to hurt it.

1/2 mineral spirits, 1/2 marvel mystery oil mixed good. Soak the thing- that might get you the brushes out, and other stuff moving. The motor might be stuck the same as the brushes; after you get it turning it should come out. Look at the other end to see if you can get at the bearing and stuff which might be retaining it too

Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 07:44 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

New motor?
https://www.dbelectrical.com/

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 47 Old 03-13-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
At this point itís so bad you arenít going to hurt it.

1/2 mineral spirits, 1/2 marvel mystery oil mixed good. Soak the thing- that might get you the brushes out, and other stuff moving. The motor might be stuck the same as the brushes; after you get it turning it should come out. Look at the other end to see if you can get at the bearing and stuff which might be retaining it too

The motor was actually not that bad. I cleaned that up with some electrical cleaner and elbow grease.

I cleaned up all the gears as well.

post #15 of 47 Old 03-14-2020, 07:28 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Cool. So the brush holders are nice and clean? Hardware store or an electric motor shop will have new brushes.

Post a vid when you have it acting like a better winch than badlands!

Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in