Bad Wheel Bearing?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Bad Wheel Bearing??

Can a wheel bearing be bad and have no noise or vibration while driving?

I just replaced the front passenger axle seal on my Dana 30 through the CAD hole, what a PIA that was. I finally got it after 3 destroyed seals.

After putting the tire back on while it was still on jack stands, I noticed that the tire has a wobble. Almost like the lug nuts are not tightened. It wiggles in all directions. My first thought was ball joints, but they are tight and it is not the whole knuckle that is moving but just the axle itself. I thought maybe the nut was loose, but it is tight. I'm afraid to over tighten it so I left it where it was. When I drive it, there is no wobble or vibration that I can feel. When the jeep is sitting on the tire I cannot wiggle the tire at all.

I guess I don't really know what to think. It does not make any noise around corners like most bearings that I have experience with being bad. I'm afraid that if I just leave it, the seal may go out again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Bad Wheel Bearing??

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. I went through a many when I had a D30. Most never made noise just had wobble/movement. I assume you jacked up one wheel and moved it back and forth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I assume you jacked up one wheel and moved it back and forth?
Yes I had it on a jack stand under the frame, only one tire off the ground. After I installed the tire, I wiggled the tire and to my surprise it wiggled. It seems like a bearing, but I have had a couple go out on a RAM I used to own and they always made noise when turning. Weird.

Is there any way to check it for sure?

post #4 of 12 Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Bad Wheel Bearing??

Pull the unit hub bearing off and spin it. Or just pull it the rotor off and move It.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #5 of 12 Old 07-05-2020, 04:35 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It sounds like your wheel to hub surfaces are rusted and your wheel did not really draw on the hub all the way, thus you still have a loose wheel. Your axle nut is not torqued properly which does not keep your wheel bearing together properly. The axle nut torque is pretty damn tight. It holds the bearing together. Your bearing is really bad and just not noisy yet. It can happen. Or your bearing hung up on tightening into the C or knuckle on assembly and is loose. Or, you missed another loose front end part. A drag link, tie rod end. etc. If you can wiggle it, you should be able to see where it really moves. It may take a friend to help you.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
If you can wiggle it, you should be able to see where it really moves. It may take a friend to help you.
With the tire on, only the tire and drive shaft itself wiggle, I can't see anything else moving. When I take the tire off, only the part of the hub that has the lugs on it and the driveshaft wiggles.

I think it has to be the bearing so I ordered a new hub assembly. I just have not ever had one go out without it making noise.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

None of my bad ones made noises. Just had play in the bearing.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2020, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks, I'll change it. It was my first instinct, glad to hear sometimes they don't make noise.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2020, 04:48 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If the stub axle shaft wiggles it is the wheel bearing.

Don’t just tighten the nut after you get the new bearing in: torque it properly.

The nut torque actually insures (assures?) the one- or two-ten-thousandths of grease/debris get taken up so the only the bearing preload has potential/eventual movement.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Johndj32
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Will do. Do you know the torque specks off the top of your head? No biggie if you don't, I'll just look it up. Thanks again for the help.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2020, 06:40 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #12 of 12 Old 07-11-2020, 10:03 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

while you were in there that deep, it is never a terrible idea to change out the ball joints/u joints at the wheels if you dont know or cant recall when they were last done.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in