3Likes
  • 1 Post By Opihi59
  • 2 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bad battery or Alternator

Trying to figure out if my battery is going bad or the alternator. Ive had this happen a couple of time at night driving when my headlights flicker some and the radio shuts off back on shuts off and back on . Well my headlights and LED's and the park lamps are flush mounted led pods. When I pull up to a stop light the voltage drops to like 11 an the gauge bounces. I took my volt meter and just checked the battery with headlights off I'm at a strong 14 with headlights on its around 12.4. I then turned my light bar on and I could just watch the voltage drop slowly.

'87 4.2 auto, 33x12.50, 2100MC, BrownDog mounts, CRT Dizzy nuttered, SOA, SYE,TW driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

In your testing described in the last 2 sentences, I have to assume that this testing was done with the engine running?

There isn't really a need to have a mystery here; you can go by your friendly local chain parts store and they can bring their diagnostic equipment out to the parking lot, hook it up, and tell you whether you have an issue in your system, and in which component. O'Really's, Vatozone have this type testing available, and of course will generally have the parts to sell you if indicated.

What I'd do first before dropping money into this, and to make sure you get an adequate test, go thru all your major electrical connections, including the grounds. Clean up your battery terminals, add some dielectric grease, reinstall and properly tighten. Do this at the starter, the alternator, the battery ground, etc. Clean up your solenoid terminals and connectors as well with sandpaper, dielectric grease application afterwards and bolt everything back together properly. If this does not remedy your concern, then run by the parts store for testing.
jtec likes this.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2018, 01:28 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

If testing is not your thing - "Then run by the parts store for testing"

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec
If testing is not your thing - "Then run by the parts store for testing"
I've been tested at parts stores a bunch of times but I've only failed the testing once. That's when the lady cop gave me the 'no trespass' order...
NHfireLJ and MadCharlie95yj like this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #5 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well went and had alt and battery check it was a bad battery which is the 3rd red top optimal that I have went through my engine bay is extremely clean no corrosion anywhere I don’t know why those batteries keep failing on me but this time I got a different battery. I have replaced a couple of grounds and ordered a couple of braided ground wires that I’m going to add

'87 4.2 auto, 33x12.50, 2100MC, BrownDog mounts, CRT Dizzy nuttered, SOA, SYE,TW driveshaft
post #6 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, there are numerous threads on here about Optima batteries. At one point they were very good batteries, then there was a manufacturing change, and suddenly they became garbage batteries. The best thing you've done here is to get a different battery, the next is to clean all your contacts while you have everything out. It will make a difference.

I have a friend who has his own battery supply company--automotive, industrial, you name it. I've been thru his huge warehouse, it's impressive. I bought a new battery from him for my son's truck, then while there asked him what he thought of Optima batteries. He merely said "you noticed I didn't sell you one of those, didn't you?"

'Nuff said, battery pro!

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I went through 3 Interstate Megatrons before giving up and getting a cheap battery from Walmart.
That still works fine after 5 years in the desert.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #8 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

All my batteries have come from O'Really's for the last 20 years, except NOW I have a battery buddy, and can get them for basic cost w/o markup. Not that I'd take advantage of my buddy though, I'll work in his warehouse/drive the forklift, clean the toilets, etc as he needs, but it's good to get good pricing on quality batteries.

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 10 Old 02-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a hint on buying batteries:
Batteries are rarely if ever put on sale. The best way that i have found to get a good price is to check the websites for the various retail auto parts stores. For me, that includes O'Reilly's, Advanced, AutoZone, and Pep Boys. At any given time, at least one of them will usually run a discount for "buy online and pickup in store." I got 25% off the last battery I bought this way. That's a nice chunk of change when you're looking at $150 - $200 batteries.

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2018, 03:50 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Everstart Maxx. Cheap money, but same manufacturer as Autocraft, DieHard, interstate and some others. Been working for me for 20+ years but I don't have a battery buddy, so...

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in