6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Part of that was just me being a smart ***. your also not a parts swapper and actually do diagnosis. That seems to be a lost art on most not all but most of the new guys.
Smart a$$es are part of what makes the YJ forum what it is. This is a really good natured forum. Some forums just bash the hell out of techs..... Even the good ones. It is the only forum I have ever stuck around on as a tech. Some really great guys on here and I enjoy it.

Newer guys have a hard time getting up to speed on the technology. Even a very seasoned veteran like me struggles at times because I made a change of venues and manufacturer to manufacturer are totally different. The technology, terminology, computer based service information, scan diagnostics, etc. are soooooo different from one to another and only getting worse. The amount of proof via pictures and printed reports, diagnostic worksheets and repair vs replace costs and information that the factories want us to submit to them before proceeding with repair. Lets talk Chrysler for example. They want me to provide them a list of part numbers and prices I will need to repair a trans in a very detailed manner including all labor operations, etc. in order to get approval and then they go back and forth with you and nit pick every detail. I recently had a 2019 Ram 1500 8 speed with 5k on the clock. It kept track of my time to submit my parts and labor op information and the days and days of going back and forth with them. It really needed a trans but they said that the amount of metal in this trans was normal and maybe it needed a valve body and referred me to the online 8 speed tutorial and pics of what normal good break in metal looks like. This trans had a few longer pieces of non ferrous metal in the pan. There stand was my pics were not clear enough. Well. My pics were actually a lot clearer than the ones they provided in the tutorial. So I clocked just under 4 legitimate hours just in providing them printouts, re editing reports, pricing, etc. That does not include my time for test driving, scanning, removing pan and inspecting which buy the way you have to drop the exhaust to do. in the end. I put a valve body in it for 1.9 Hrs pay and got an additional .8 Hrs added for the 4 hours I spent going back and forth with them. Some may not understand this point either. Once the trans fluid is out or any fault has occured, go through the process of figuring out how to get one of the new dial shifter pieces of crap into neutral alone, gather up enough guys to push it out of the building and then rinse and repeat when it needs to be pushed back in. The messed up part is when they denied a trans replacement I had to submit to them a detailed parts and labor description of how much a valve body replacement would cost under warranty.... Think about that..... YOU are the factory. YOU tell me how much the parts and labor cost on a warranty claim rather than waste a techs time telling you something you should know. YOU are the factory. But yet their fixed first visit and Customer satisfaction index numbers are EVERYTHING to them. The factory also does not like to pay ample amounts of diagnostic times anymore and with the rising complexity of vehicles and communications lines, etc. they are getting worse about it. Working flat rate means I only get paid by the book and what is approved. It really is possible for even an experienced tech like me to sometimes only get paid for working half or even a quarter of the hours I put in. Shameful....

We just had a auto start issue on a JL that FCA sent a field service engineer along with two platform engineers to the dealer and they required a technician in tow for the whole time to use his tools and help remove and do things. Two full days later, no real answer. Let us do the math on how much income they paid, plus travel and lodging, etc. but yet for us it is supposed to be simple and quick and we really cannot pay you that time if you submitted for it.. You just worked for free.

The moral of the story is some warranty issues will make a parts changer out of even the best of us at times. I work to buy food. When your system denies the guy doing it right that said food..... Well.... you made the rules we play by... right?

Not disputing you though that there are some definite parts changers in the world. Last dealer I worked in we had a
cheesy mocked up wheel of fortune type of board you could spin to determine a repair as a joke cause some guys do it everytime and some of us would be better off if we did it that way. The more experienced, trained and accomplished you are as a tech opens your world up to more of the nightmare vehicles that you lose your behind and a part of your soul trying to diagnose and repair.

And they wonder why more and more people are just parts changers. It is because the system is driving away experienced mechanics and discouraging young ones beyond belief.

So if you have a new gadget infested over engineered vehicle, which they all have become. Just remember that when it does really strange things and especially if you are un cooperative as a customer in giving detailed information of your complaint, what and when..... Don't blame the parts changer on the other end. He seriously may be struggling to buy Ramen noodles for his kids and gas to get to work.

This was not aimed at you. I did not even take your remark as being a wise guy to begin with. There are some misunderstandings as to what goes on in the repair world though. I believe you are one of the guys that gets that and you definitely roll up your sleeves and get to the bottom of issues as accurately as possible.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 10-12-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It just did it again tonight. It happened WHILE reversing this time. It only did it for a second, so I didn't get a chance to get a video or figure out where it was coming from. The guy who was hunting with me noticed it too and asked me if my transfer case was going to explode. I was in 4WD at the time.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quick question. I was wondering if there is any chance that @Luuca s daughter helped you change a Crank sensor?

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #19 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Quick question. I was wondering if there is any chance that @Luuca s daughter helped you change a Crank sensor?

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in