AX-15 Grinding - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

AX-15 Grinding

Normally I wouldn't start a new thread for this, but maybe it will help other people too.

Recently, when I put the Jeep in reverse the transmission will sometimes make a whirring or light grinding noise. If I take it out of gear, the noise will continue unless I let off the clutch.

Only happens in reverse.

I'm guessing that my clutch probably isn't disengaging all the way. Any other guesses?

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-06-2019, 01:34 PM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It it was an issue with the clutch, I would suspect you would hear the noise in forward gears as well. Maybe sometime in the reverse shift fork/linkage is worn causing the reverse to not fully engage/disengage?

I'm assuming this noise is in addition to the normal gear noise in reverse?

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #3 of 19 Old 10-06-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. It's like a spinning whirring/grinding sound, and it happens when I'm not moving. The clutch pedal is on the floor.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Normally I wouldn't start a new thread for this, but maybe it will help other people too.

Recently, when I put the Jeep in reverse the transmission will sometimes make a whirring or light grinding noise. If I take it out of gear, the noise will continue unless I let off the clutch.

Only happens in reverse.

I'm guessing that my clutch probably isn't disengaging all the way. Any other guesses?
Hi Awesome,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. I understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for advice. However, should you be unable to remedy this on your own and decide to visit your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to add assistance if needed.
Alex
Jeep Cares
post #5 of 19 Old 10-08-2019, 01:45 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Quote:

Only happens in reverse.

Hi Awesome,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. I understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for advice. However, should you be unable to remedy this on your own and decide to visit your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to add assistance if needed.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Whoa.

That was such a pleasantly worded message it was almost creepy.
93YJfalcon, Awesome and sptrmike like this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 19 Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I mean, like, cool. Jeep is doing marketing.

But in the YJ section? For 25-35-year-old Jeeps?
bruinjeeper and mikewiz38 like this.

post #7 of 19 Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure if the dealer saw most of our Jeeps that wouldnt know what to do. Especially with some of these newer parts swappers. But how is the dealer gonna feel about a Jeep with very little jeep left.
Awesome likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 12:44 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Clutch release bearing? It rotates when the clutch pedal is depressed and should not rotate when the pedal is not depressed.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 08:03 AM
letitloose06

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Clutch release bearing? It rotates when the clutch pedal is depressed and should not rotate when the pedal is not depressed.
This isn't always true. In the YJ setup, the clutch release bearing has a small amount of preload on it when the clutch is released, so it is in fact always spinning.

1992 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, 4" RE Standard Lift, 35x12.5R15 Maxxis Bighorn MT's, Grizzly Locked 8.8 Rear, HP44 with Spartan, 4.10's, Smittybilt Armor, JCR Off road Stage 2 Front Bumper, Custom Rear Bumper

1966 M416 1/4 Ton Cargo Trailer --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1951 CJ3A Restomod Project
post #10 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 01:33 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could drain and replace the transmission fluid to see what drains out and determine its possible a synchro has disintegrated. DAMHIK - actually, when I did all my fluids after buying my 89 with the AX-15, all the synchros drained out as shiny brass flakes. I'm now very proficient at double clutching and timing the different shifts.

Could be something totally unrelated, but draining the fluid could provide a telltale. Either synchro chips or shiny flakes from bearings.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Pretty sure if the dealer saw most of our Jeeps that wouldnt know what to do. Especially with some of these newer parts swappers. But how is the dealer gonna feel about a Jeep with very little jeep left.
Currently working in a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat dealer. I wish people would bring in YJ's for repair rather than JK's and JL's.

Theoretically, nothing inside the transmission is moving under the circumstance you describe. The trans should be mechanically locked from the input all the way to the output shaft. With the pedal to the floor the only thing that is moving is the flywheel, pressure plate and release bearing. The direction of rotation of these does not change regardless of forward or reverse. The clutch disc may be binding on the input shaft splines of the trans but once again, forward or reverse theoretically should matter. The clutch always spins in the same direction. Maybe your shifter or boot is making contact at the floor board area and transmitting noise??? What really does not make sense at all though that the noise continues after you take it out of gear. That eliminates the shifter.

Reverse is usually not a synchronized gear. JS.

This type of stuff usually requires a chassis ear or a mechanics stethoscope but even those can transmit noises up and down the driveline and still make diagnosis difficult. I frequently use a piece of rubber fuel hose and put one end directly up to my ear hole and scan the area with the other end. It is very effective at isolating the area of a noise. It really helps to put an ear plug in the other ear.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I drove the Jeep for two days and it didn't happen again. It's really super random. Next time it happens I'll see if I can get a video of it or something. Draining the fluid is probably a good idea just 'cause. I haven't replaced the fluid in ...... years.

post #13 of 19 Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I drove the Jeep for two days and it didn't happen again. It's really super random. Next time it happens I'll see if I can get a video of it or something. Draining the fluid is probably a good idea just 'cause. I haven't replaced the fluid in ...... years.
Check your bell housing bolt torque. When I bought my jeep it would do that anytime i hit the clutch. It started out random and got more and more often slowly. Turns out 2 bolts in the bell housing were gone and several others loose. When you hit the clutch one side of the transmission would actually pull away from the engine a quarter inch and it made a noice similair to want you described. Might be worth a check only takes 5 minutes.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Currently working in a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat dealer. I wish people would bring in YJ's for repair rather than JK's and JL's.

Theoretically, nothing inside the transmission is moving under the circumstance you describe. The trans should be mechanically locked from the input all the way to the output shaft. With the pedal to the floor the only thing that is moving is the flywheel, pressure plate and release bearing. The direction of rotation of these does not change regardless of forward or reverse. The clutch disc may be binding on the input shaft splines of the trans but once again, forward or reverse theoretically should matter. The clutch always spins in the same direction. Maybe your shifter or boot is making contact at the floor board area and transmitting noise??? What really does not make sense at all though that the noise continues after you take it out of gear. That eliminates the shifter.

Reverse is usually not a synchronized gear. JS.

This type of stuff usually requires a chassis ear or a mechanics stethoscope but even those can transmit noises up and down the driveline and still make diagnosis difficult. I frequently use a piece of rubber fuel hose and put one end directly up to my ear hole and scan the area with the other end. It is very effective at isolating the area of a noise. It really helps to put an ear plug in the other ear.
Part of that was just me being a smart ***. your also not a parts swapper and actually do diagnosis. That seems to be a lost art on most not all but most of the new guys.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #15 of 19 Old 10-11-2019, 07:59 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Yes. It's like a spinning whirring/grinding sound, and it happens when I'm not moving. The clutch pedal is on the floor.
My two previous clutch replacements both had a very similar description. Reverse began a light 'grind' about 2 weeks before 1st gear had engagement problems, in each case. Disassembly revealed a worn-down disc, and possibly sticky release bearing. Ergo, I can NOT state which was the definitive cause.

As Boo pointed out, a length of rubber hose ( fuel, heater, or garden type) can be a good tool for isolating the approximate area of conflict. However, with a worn disc, visual inspection is required because the manifestation will occur in the gears (which are NOT the problem).

Check externally as suggested for obvious culprits. If you do drain fluid make certain to replace with a GL-3 or GL-4. The MOPAR manual misprinted GL-5 for the AX15, which will actually eat the brass synchro rings up. I have only found GL-3 on the internet but did discover that GL-4 is 'safe-rated and widely available in stores. Personally, I have gone with Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid and find that excellent in the transmission and transfer case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in