Arizona + A/C + Highway= Overheating - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
 193Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #601 of 641 Old 04-23-2021, 05:48 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yep. I did not even have a Wrangler when the kids were around. You are ahead of the curve. There is no shame in not having time.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 641 Old 04-23-2021, 06:47 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Even if you build the engine, you are having a machine shop do the crank, block... ect.
If you have a shop you trust, fine. I don't. And if there's a problem, even if you know the shop, good luck getting them to eat the cost of your block or crank. It's still right out of Bill's own wallet. Bill is cheap, he gives nothing away.

I recently had a shop bore the cylinder on a YZ250. The new piston didn't fit! The cylinder was out of round! Of course they denied f***ing it up and I ended up buying a new cylinder.

It's hit or miss getting good work done these days. So I opt for a written warranty so I can sue them. (I've sued 3 people so far, and won every time)
I trust... my cat. That's it. Although Bulletproof Diesel in Mesa AZ has done great work on my truck.
I also like crate motors. I'm waiting to drop a new 7.3 Godzilla into something.
shaggyjim likes this.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #603 of 641 Old 04-24-2021, 05:23 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m with Chris and shaggy on boojo

The right choice is the one that works good for you. I’d lean way towards rebuilding in my head, but right now? I’d seriously have to look at my time reality and buy a crate and pay the shop my 20/21 year old jeep club friend works for to have Jesse put it in.
I’d have one question: does anyplace have a decent crate 4.7 stroker?

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

post #604 of 641 Old 04-24-2021, 07:04 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
A few places will do them and have good reputations but it about triples the price of a long block.
post #605 of 641 Old 04-30-2021, 07:28 AM
AZdEvilYJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The Gladiator can handle it! I think, haha.

So here is the reality of my situation. I can spend my lunch hours, while I'm working at home, and pull the motor over the span of a week or two. I don't have any time on the weekends or evenings to myself so I can't spend much time pulling it apart and going back and forth to the machine shops and loading/unloading. So maybe a reman is a decent option if I can just swap parts from one engine to the other.

If I had time to myself I would definitely do it all but if I pull the motor and do that it will take forever.

Motor takes about 3hrs to pull. Very very easy. I have a hoist you can borrow if youd like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chrisnvegas likes this.

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '19 YJ of the Month!

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do your best and caulk the rest
-Albert Einstein
post #606 of 641 Old 04-30-2021, 11:59 AM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Id have one question: does anyplace have a decent crate 4.7 stroker?
Golen Engine
Mine has been great

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #607 of 641 Old 04-30-2021, 12:34 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Quote:
Golen Engine
Mine has been great
@Boojo35

We're gonna have to arrange a time to have one of these delivered to your place and installed.

Of course I'll pay you with a VERY strong running 2.5L. (The same one that @Chrisnvegas mentioned up there that was rebuilt not many KMs ago!), some Canadian beer, jerky and maple syrup

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #608 of 641 Old 04-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
@Boojo35

We're gonna have to arrange a time to have one of these delivered to your place and installed.

Of course I'll pay you with a VERY strong running 2.5L. (The same one that @Chrisnvegas mentioned up there that was rebuilt not many KMs ago!), some Canadian beer, jerky and maple syrup
Hmmmm. I saw the part about the Canadian Beer, jerky and maple syrup and said hell yea..... The I re read and noticed the part about the strong running 2.5....... Bonus.

post #609 of 641 Old 05-01-2021, 03:42 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Quote:
Golen Engine
Mine has been great
What’s yours need for gasoline?

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #610 of 641 Old 05-10-2021, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
Motor takes about 3hrs to pull. Very very easy. I have a hoist you can borrow if youd like

Thanks Greg. I may take you up on that. I need to pick up an engine stand from HF first. I'll let you know. I have pulled that motor, maybe 2-3 times, but it's been maybe 10-15 years since I did.

The last time I pulled the cylinder head I was in high school or just getting into college back in the early 2000's.

It might be time to take care of the motor a little...
shaggyjim and Azhunter1 like this.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #611 of 641 Old 08-08-2021, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

So after driving the Jeep as my daily for the last couple weeks, I have confirmed I will pull the motor after Moab and get a refurbished one to swap in. I will continue in my build thread from here.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #612 of 641 Old 08-08-2021, 02:49 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Without back tracking the thread... did you ever try an external gauge to make sure the dash is reading accurate?

Of course a new motor and the YJ will be good for a lifetime or as long as you want to keep it. If Greg helps ya out, be prepared... could cost you a ton in PBR!
shaggyjim likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #613 of 641 Old 08-08-2021, 03:11 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Without back tracking the thread... did you ever try an external gauge to make sure the dash is reading accurate?

Of course a new motor and the YJ will be good for a lifetime or as long as you want to keep it. If Greg helps ya out, be prepared... could cost you a ton in PBR!
In all reality, PBR is as cheap as it gets, at least in my part of the country. Like as in 3 bucks a pitcher in the same place that a GOOD mug of beer is 6 bucks. So as far as I am concerned. PBR is almost free labor. Caveat: as long as the PBR does not cause bad judgement, decisions, and poor work due to loss of motor skills.
shaggyjim and bruinjeeper like this.

post #614 of 641 Old 08-08-2021, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

I can handle loads or PBR. Ill have to borrow Gregs engine hoist no doubt.

So I actually tried purchasing the gauge from Q-Tec but my order was hung up or I had to update a payment method because I had a credit from a YJOTM. Anyway I cancelled. But one thing i did do was buy an OEM temp sensor. I doubt my gauge is precise but I feel its accurate. Just driving it and knowing how hot it feels its overheating. Even if the gauge is not accurate, the trend was a temperature that was trending up and not leveling off.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #615 of 641 Old 08-09-2021, 07:56 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
daisyheater-core.jpg

Louie. I don't think that I have shared this with you. This is a picture of my heater core that I cut open out of my 87 that I replaced last year. A little back story. I bought this Jeep from @Chrisnvegas where he had it sit for a few years in his garage. He never drove it and only briefly ever had it started. The owner before him had filled it with water. The Jeep was originally purchased in SoCal then moved to Arizona and then to Vegas. My understanding is that it is kinda common for people to not keep their coolant as you call it (we refer to it as anti freeze more commonly in the north) in the most pristine condition due to the lack of freezing as a hazard. Anyways. I ran a Ford flush chemical through it and literally a couple hundred gallons of water at least. I flushed and back flushed from every hose connection possible. Into the heater hoses, the nipple at the intake manifold, etc. I filled drove and drained it several times after that. So after a couple of thousand miles or so my heater output was chilly, especially at an idle. As you can see there is a ton of sediment in the core even after all the flushing. I would not be surprised if there are corners and crevices in the block that are still full of crap and maybe the radiator also.

I had very similar symptoms to yours at times. Temp would climb on the highway and only on hot days. If I got off the highway it would cool right back down. It has not done it in a while but then again I have not driven it at 70 on a hot day in quite a while. I believe that a sediment problem is still likely, I have a freeze plug that has a little weep to it and possibly have a small crack in the head gasket. A rear main seal is easiest to replace on an engine stand with the engine upside down and the engine or trans needs to come out to do the torque converter seal and the very rearward freeze plug so that is my plan of attack much like yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in