Arizona + A/C + Highway= Overheating - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
 179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 610 Old 05-05-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

Iíve been through a many fan clutches. Mine appears to be dry but thatís just me running my fingers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 610 Old 05-05-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

I got pics

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #168 of 610 Old 05-05-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

Iíll just take it off and examine. It really is the oldest part in the cooling system.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #169 of 610 Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, fan clutch was still the original.
I can't get in to look at the new one. It's close to the radiator because the radiator is thicker.
This is the hand made radiator prototype that was cancelled before the test was done. For some reason, Scott drake shut down his offroad stuff and concentrates on Mustangs only.
They told me to keep it. (twist my arm)
I should ask him if he would send me to whoever made it and see if they would make more if anyone wants one.
Attached Thumbnails
20200505_172340_HDR.jpg  

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #170 of 610 Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

It took all of 5 minutes to get off.

I think Iím going to go ahead and replace it. I wonít lose any sleep over getting a new one. When you spin it by hand it has resistance and then gives.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #171 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 07:46 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No no no!!! All of you guys are wrong the only way to fix it Louie is to move brother!!!!! Hahahaha just giving you crap. I think everyone has given good advice, however how about getting a better fan. I saw a post where a guy swapped to a more efficient fan then the stock one.
post #172 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

Ha! I'm already here and vested unfortunately. If I had a better fan blade option I would consider it.

Now for fan clutches. I found OEM ones from Mopar parts sites that are about $185 + tax and shipping. I'm tempted to just pick up one at Napa for under $50 and see if helps. If it last a summer and solves my overheating problem that would be great. If it fails I'll get the OEM for the higher dollar value. Mainly, I am willing to buy a non-OEM to see if it really solves my problem.

Comments? Or should I not even consider anything not OEM?

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #173 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 03:18 PM
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
a quick question, do they make clutches that you can take apart for the jeep? reason I ask is for the 80 series land cruisers (and other series), you can modify them so the valves open and close at different temps so you can get full lockup at a lower temp. I modified my blue hub in mine and changed the temp lockup and the oil out to 30k. im in Yuma az and it runs nice and cool with the ac... heres a link on how to if youre interested... https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/blu...n-risk.102633/

now my yj was running pretty warm at one point but I changed the radiator to a mishimoto. so far so good

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"
post #174 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

The one that was installed doesn't have much flexibility. I can only pull the spring out of the cast aluminum tab and move it to the one 180 degrees out but that will just lock it up all the time...assuming it works properly. I have been wondering if the fan doesn't lock up at high speeds going down the interstate or it just spins enough at lower heat loads.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #175 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 04:10 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Ha! I'm already here and vested unfortunately. If I had a better fan blade option I would consider it.

Now for fan clutches. I found OEM ones from Mopar parts sites that are about $185 + tax and shipping. I'm tempted to just pick up one at Napa for under $50 and see if helps. If it last a summer and solves my overheating problem that would be great. If it fails I'll get the OEM for the higher dollar value. Mainly, I am willing to buy a non-OEM to see if it really solves my problem.

Comments? Or should I not even consider anything not OEM?
$185 bucks? They're nuts!
I paid 50 bucks and thought that was too much.

I'd be willing to try the cheaper one. If it sucks, return it and go with OEM.
If you had to pull the trans or something like that, it would be different. Not that bad to swap them out. It sucks doing it twice but to me saving 130 bucks it's worth the shot.
?

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #176 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

Yep. I picked it up today for $46 from Napa. We'll see how it goes! If it's a bust, I'll look for an aftermarket radiator...a good one.
shaggyjim likes this.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #177 of 610 Old 05-06-2020, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

I put the fan clutch in and it moves a lot of air.

I also noticed coolant pooled at the bottom of the radiator where the tubes enter the bottom tank. I have a pin hole leak on the top tank but I think itís leaking elsewhere.

Sigh.

I am going to get a new radiator and be done with it.

NHfireLJ likes this.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #178 of 610 Old 05-07-2020, 12:02 PM
TheCrabbyPatty1

2000 WJ 

I drive a 2000, WJ with the 4.7L V8. It's got around 175k miles on it. I'm a Phoenix resident and this is my 3rd Jeep. On this one I've replaced the AC blower motor, AC clutch, upper radiator hose, radiator cap, thermostat, and it does well to make sure that you don't have an leaks in your AC or cooling system (hoses and other parts will dry rot in this heat). My next fix will most likely be the radiator itself. As long as you're keeping up on your AC system and the cooling system then it should run fine. The thermostat on these Jeeps in down low on the engine near the transmission so it's extremely close to these hot roads in Phoenix. Long story short, it's pretty normal for them to read warm in the middle of the Phoenix summer and if you're keeping up on it then it should be just fine.
post #179 of 610 Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

I will look for an OEM radiator but it will probably be hard to find.

Lou

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #180 of 610 Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

The OEM radiator was contracted to Silla.
They were the original supplier.

I know all this stupid **** and can't remember my own phone number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in