Apocalypse links and bonus stretch. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 142Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 249 Old 03-03-2021, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
Set two.

Attached Thumbnails
63651007120__1D6E90E3-4895-4396-A3C3-3FB591F6A5D5.jpg   63651038673__728519F5-3E07-4C38-9085-8834366A1B50.jpg   63651182077__5B72B139-9CDF-4FD9-9782-1AC119722703.jpg   63651359876__6CDFCA66-8FE8-46DE-8790-4C76D80049FC.jpg  
bruinjeeper likes this.
shaggyjim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
So I scored a 1350 drive shaft from a buddy at work for the cost of getting it out of his shop and it looks sweet but sadly I don't have a flange for my slip yolk. Does anyone know the spline count of the super short slip yoke eliminator I might need to order a flange.
Attached Thumbnails
63667744748__0AC0DCB2-D908-4A8B-85EC-13DB98B9572F.jpg  
bruinjeeper likes this.
shaggyjim is offline  
post #78 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
I spent last evening and tonight carving up some lower shock mounts and I'm just about done. I should be able to get the shocks installed tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
63668833789__83ED0E6F-B3D3-496E-AAEE-8EFC29FC9AFE.jpg  
bruinjeeper likes this.
shaggyjim is offline  
 
post #79 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 07:52 PM
RockWoRM
Registered User
 
RockWoRM's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central valley
Posts: 11,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
So I scored a 1350 drive shaft from a buddy at work for the cost of getting it out of his shop and it looks sweet but sadly I don't have a flange for my slip yolk. Does anyone know the spline count of the super short slip yoke eliminator I might need to order a flange.
K. You've got me scratching my brain fart head on this one? Is the lower DL in the pic the 1350? And you need a flange? Is that right? What has that got to do with a slip yoke?

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
RockWoRM is offline  
post #80 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
K. You've got me scratching my brain fart head on this one? Is the lower DL in the pic the 1350? And you need a flange? Is that right? What has that got to do with a slip yoke?
Well both shafts are 1350 u joints on the end but mine is the lower one and is 1330's at the CV. the one I was given is 1350's at the cv with the flange on it. So what I was thinking is the shaft I was given is a better drive shaft with full splines and bigger u joints and might just be the correct length for my stretch I might as well get a flanged output for my super short SYE. I just have no idea what my output spline count is.

EDIT: Are you guys still going to make it to Moab this spring?
shaggyjim is offline  
post #81 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 08:58 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
but sadly I don't have a flange for my slip yolk
i have a frying pan... it's kind of flangey... it might work for that yolk


Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Does anyone know the spline count of the super short slip yoke eliminator I might need to order a flange.
32 spline rear output 231J (even though i'm not even sure which case you run currently)
shaggyjim likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #82 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 09:05 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I spent last evening and tonight carving up some lower shock mounts and I'm just about done. I should be able to get the shocks installed tomorrow.
beefy

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #83 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
32 spline is great. Thank you Sir! Looks like a common flange so Ill put one on order tomorrow.
shaggyjim is offline  
post #84 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 09:17 PM
RockWoRM
Registered User
 
RockWoRM's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central valley
Posts: 11,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Well both shafts are 1350 u joints on the end but mine is the lower one and is 1330's at the CV. the one I was given is 1350's at the cv with the flange on it. So what I was thinking is the shaft I was given is a better drive shaft with full splines and bigger u joints and might just be the correct length for my stretch I might as well get a flanged output for my super short SYE. I just have no idea what my output spline count is.

EDIT: Are you guys still going to make it to Moab this spring?
K. Cool. Bruin beat me to it... 32 spline. And yeah, IMHO, the flange is stronger/better and adds length.

Absolutely on Moab. We have already made reservations @ Ken's Lake BLM campground. 20th thru the 30th of May. So if you can make a weekend, the 21, 21, 23'rd would be perfect. Or the whole week for that matter. I have to bug out the 29th.
shaggyjim likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
RockWoRM is offline  
post #85 of 249 Old 03-05-2021, 09:52 PM
timatoe
Registered User
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley
Posts: 18,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
..... I might need to order a flange.
AA has a solution for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
....EDIT: Are you guys still going to make it to Moab this spring?
Yeppers!! So ready!
shaggyjim likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline  
post #86 of 249 Old 03-06-2021, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
Well I went and started cutting up my frame today and fitting up the shock tower. I found a little binding in my lower shock mounts so I needed to work on that a little bit but I got the correct angle on the mounts and started installing. Everything was going great but I had some issues on the back of the tower because of the Barns cutout that I had to cut all the way out and replace with some 3/16's plate to get a firm weld to the top to the frame. I failed on the upper tower to frame weld spectacularly and then ran out of wire so Im going to have to clean it up and fix it tomorrow. All in all it was a great day.
Attached Thumbnails
63676394792__459ACB18-DF6E-4740-9E38-2DCD06B79C72.jpg   63676861330__E9AF9240-8076-4E11-A9B2-C6CB89C297E8.jpg  
shaggyjim is offline  
post #87 of 249 Old 03-06-2021, 08:27 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler
 
87TPIYJ's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 2,666
Garage
It looks like it was answered, but I was going to say 32 spline. Also that looks like an f250 shaft which is 4.25 bolt circle and 2 pilot with m12x1.75 threads
shaggyjim likes this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
87TPIYJ is offline  
post #88 of 249 Old 03-06-2021, 09:22 PM
Waternut
Registered User
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 2,134
I learned a year or so ago to buy welding wire online in two 10 lb rolls a time and have two C02 tanks on hand so I never run out at a bad time. The online wire usually costs about the same as two 2 lb rolls at the local welding store or big box store. My welds aren't as pretty as yours though so I wouldn't know if it's my machine, my technique, my gas, or my wire that causes my ugly welds but I'd wager on my technique/patience being the biggest problem by far...lol.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
post #89 of 249 Old 03-07-2021, 07:50 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
 
Joe Dillard's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Patuxent River
Posts: 14,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I failed on the upper tower to frame weld spectacularly and then ran out of wire so Im going to have to clean it up and fix it tomorrow. All in all it was a great day.
We like to lift the body off the frame and remove the gas tank to be better able to reach that area for welding and multiple other access reasons along the way.

Like this:



We rake the tower towards the rear as well. Sometimes we dimple the tub or cut/patch the tub to allow for proper tower placement.

BTW: Are you planning on adding a swaybar/anti-rock back aft?
Joe Dillard is offline  
post #90 of 249 Old 03-07-2021, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
It looks like it was answered, but I was going to say 32 spline. Also that looks like an f250 shaft which is 4.25” bolt circle and 2” pilot with m12x1.75” threads
Thats kind of what I was thinking when I got to looking at it and I well ask my buddy Monday at work to find out for sure. I hope it is, I can get ford parts nice and cheap form the dealer because my company does so much business with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I learned a year or so ago to buy welding wire online in two 10 lb rolls a time and have two C02 tanks on hand so I never run out at a bad time. The online wire usually costs about the same as two 2 lb rolls at the local welding store or big box store. My welds aren't as pretty as yours though so I wouldn't know if it's my machine, my technique, my gas, or my wire that causes my ugly welds but I'd wager on my technique/patience being the biggest problem by far...lol.
I might look into that for the next round but I need something right now and Lows has a nice Veterans discount so I think I will pickup another spool there this time. Im still surprised how fast it went this time, I've had the same spool of wire in the old Weldpac 100 for like 15 years I at the speed I use flux core wire it most likely have the same wire in it when my son sells it at the estate sale on my passing. I have been working hard on patience and technique lately because aesthetics and I don't want @Awesome to be disappointed in me however the old saying "beauty is only skin deep, its what's inside that counts" is making me nervous after I finish each weld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
We like to lift the body off the frame and remove the gas tank to be better able to reach that area for welding and multiple other access reasons along the way.

We rake the tower towards the rear as well. Sometimes we dimple the tub or cut/patch the tub to allow for proper tower placement.

BTW: Are you planning on adding a swaybar/anti-rock back aft?
I probably should have lifted the body but I'm terrified of body mount bolts and I dont need another project just now with Moab coming up next month. I think I can just catch the back side if I sit up in the links. Ill find out today. So far I don't plan on a swaybar but it's not set in stone. I'm hoping the leaf springs hold it for the most part but when I link the front I might need to. This thing probably will never see the freeway again
shaggyjim is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome