Apocalypse links and bonus stretch. - JeepForum.com
 142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 249 Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Apocalypse links and bonus stretch.

So I have been looking at linking my jeep for quite a while and finely got the ability to move some money into the project and with my dear wife's consent and support I have started the adventure. I wont be breaking any new ground or reinventing the wheel and everything Im doing has been done a million times before but I though it would be fun to share with everyone and might be helpful for someone in the future. This wont be the best way I'm sure to do this but it will be a great learning experience and will be a great deal better then any leaf spring system I could come up with. When it's all said and done it will be mine, done by myself, with no one to blame if I screw it up. I will try to have photos of everything if I can and get thing up in a timely fashion but if anyone has followed any of my other projects in the past I tend to let projects and things languish if not pushed. To help this terrible character flaw my wife has made reservations in Moab in three months to add motivation.
When I was doing research for this I was going to go with TJ coils but found the price difference would have been less then $500 then coilovers so I went with the Kings.
Anyhow follow along and I will answer questions as best I can and I will keep a parts list for everyone with part numbers if I can find them.
One other thought is that this could have been done for way less then I spent and some of the parts I used will be more expensive then others and unneeded in some builds but like I said, maybe not the best way but my way.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3140.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 249 Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ITEM ID AND ITEMS.
Barnes
B4WK12399.
Large Enduro Joint Rebuild Tool Kit X 1

1251215175LHMS.
1 1/4-12 Left Hand Thread Tube Insert for 1 1/2 Inch ID Tubing X 1

1251215175RHMS.
1 1/4-12 Right Hand Thread Tube Insert for 1 1/2 Inch ID Tubing. X 1

JN125012LH.
1-1/4-12 Jam Nut Left Hand Thread X 2

JN125012RH
1-1/4 -12 Jam Nut Right Hand Thread X 2

B4WEJW16-9
Weld Flex Joint 2 5/8" Mounting Width with 9/16" Bolt Hole X 4

B4WK0020
Horizontal Four Link Truss Bracket X 1

B4WK0066
Four Link DOM Kit 4 Foot Links X 1

B4WEJR16-9
Enduro Joints 2 5/8 Inch Mounting Width 9/16 Inch Bolt Hole 1 1/4-12 Right Hand Threads X 2

B4WK12501
Frenched Shock Tower Pair Length: Standard X 1

125HXLHV21
1/4-12 Hex Left Hand Thread Tube Insert for 1 1/2 Inch ID Tube X 1

125HXRHV21
1/4-12 Hex Right Hand Thread Tube Insert for 1 1/2 Inch ID Tube X 1

B4WK1101-2
Dana 80 Heavy Duty Axle Truss X 1

B4WK1043
Inner Frame Link Mount Bracket 20 Degree, 9/16" Bolt Hole X 2

End of Barnes4WD.com parts list.

Artec
BR1006
Large 4-link Xmember Bracket Tube Style/Size: 2.0" Square Tube X 1

BR1088
Shock + Lower Link Axle Combo Brackets (pair) Lower Link Angle: 22 de. X 1

End of Artec Industries parts list.

Motobuilt
MB1057 Blank Corner Guards for Jeep CJ YJ TJ X 1

End of Motobuilt parts list.

Poly Performance
KRS-PR2014-COHR 14" King 2.0 Coilover with Remote. X 2

KRS-SPR25-16-200. King 16.0"x2.50" Coil Springs X 2

KRS-SPR25-14-150. 14.0"x2.50" Coil Springs X2

CE-9114-L 1-1/4". 1"-1-1/4" Forged Johnny Joints X2

PPI-LS-18. Quad Wrapped Ultra Strength Limit Strap X2

PPI-LS-CL. Limit Strap Clevis Mount Kit X2

PPI-LS-BUNG. Clevis Mounting Sleeve X2

DAS-KU71091BK. Daystar Stinger Bump Stops set X1

KRS-20AB422-102. King 2.0" & 2.5" Air Bump Mounting Can (Sleeve). X2

End of Poly Performance parts list.

Trail-gear
300090-KIT. Rock Assault 9" Rear Axle Housing With Shafts X2

End of Trail-gear parts list.

A few other things I needed to finish the links that I didn't keep the part numbers for are.
99-04 Ford Dana 60 unit barings and drive flanges.
new steel braided brake lines made local at the Parker store.
a few cans of paint.
Flat Chevy D52 caliper mounts modified to fit the baring cups, loaded D52 calipers both from Ruffstuff, 1977 Ford F150 disks with the center opened up to fit the bearings, and GM 10MM metric brake soft lines to go from the axle to the caliper.

I also changed the upper axle side links to a different stile to give me more space for compression.
NHfireLJ likes this.
post #3 of 249 Old 01-29-2021, 07:27 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Im in! Lets do this! It was a learning experience for sure.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 05:37 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’m definitely interested!

YJOTM: Jan 2021

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I came to the same conclusion about TJ coils and coilovers. I think it was less than $100 difference between the two options when I was doing my 4 link just because of all the brackets required for coils and frame mods. King shocks are probably the nicest and best looking but also some of the most expensive. If anyone else is struggling to justify the upgrade then Fox and Radflo are all a little cheaper and I don't think you could go wrong with either. I looked at FOA REALLY hard for a long time but after pricing the add-ons and required items that come standard with the Fox, Radflo, and King shocks, they aren't really any cheaper.

post #6 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 11:26 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I came to the same conclusion about TJ coils and coilovers. I think it was less than $100 difference between the two options when I was doing my 4 link just because of all the brackets required for coils and frame mods. King shocks are probably the nicest and best looking but also some of the most expensive. If anyone else is struggling to justify the upgrade then Fox and Radflo are all a little cheaper and I don't think you could go wrong with either. I looked at FOA REALLY hard for a long time but after pricing the add-ons and required items that come standard with the Fox, Radflo, and King shocks, they aren't really any cheaper.

That and there is a reason FOA is nicknamed Fd On Arrival.
Randonexplosion and Waternut like this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #7 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was looking at all my options and kept seeing a rumor that King sets up in Moab a few times a year and you can get factory service techs to tune your shocks. I thought that was cool.
post #8 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 12:30 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be watching too, love a good build.

Good to see Barnes finally has those Enduro Joints back in stock, I've been waiting since last May. I have everything else sitting on a self in the garage (minus tubing and CO's), of course I spent the money I had saved for those on a new gooseneck etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Following along too. Always good to see somebody jump into a fun project with both feet.
post #10 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 02:14 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I was looking at all my options and kept seeing a rumor that King sets up in Moab a few times a year and you can get factory service techs to tune your shocks. I thought that was cool.
That is pretty cool. I don't know how King valves their shocks from the factory. However, with Fox shocks and my Jeep, I found that valving them too light isn't really a thing. I tried several iterations of going lighter and lighter and eventually ended up going several steps lighter than the lightest setting on their charts plus drilling an extra bleed hole and finally changing to a thinner shock oil. I've always used Kartek for shims and shock parts. Very reasonable prices.

post #11 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'll be watching too, love a good build.

Good to see Barnes finally has those Enduro Joints back in stock, I've been waiting since last May. I have everything else sitting on a self in the garage (minus tubing and CO's), of course I spent the money I had saved for those on a new gooseneck etc...
I would have loved it if Barnes would have had all the parts I needed but unfortunately I had to order Johny Joints from Poly Performance to finish up my my links. I guess the boat from China is late....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Following along too. Always good to see somebody jump into a fun project with both feet.
Falling sideways into it without too many stitches I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
That is pretty cool. I don't know how King valves their shocks from the factory. However, with Fox shocks and my Jeep, I found that valving them too light isn't really a thing. I tried several iterations of going lighter and lighter and eventually ended up going several steps lighter than the lightest setting on their charts plus drilling an extra bleed hole and finally changing to a thinner shock oil. I've always used Kartek for shims and shock parts. Very reasonable prices.
I had the valving jotted down on some paperwork before the dear wife decided it needed moved/lost. It looked a little stiff and I think the compression was 18 flutter but I'm not sure anymore.
post #12 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I got three and a half beers worth of progress done today. Had to run around all over town to find some six ton jack stands to work with and it cost some time but I did get the axle out and the rear of the jeep striped down. I have the old housing hanging overnight to drain out the gear oil to hopefully make less of a mess then I did tonight.
I thought my steel supply place was open on Saturday but I was wrong so the 2"x2"x1/4" tubing I'm going to use for the cross member will have to be picked up on Monday after work so tomorrow I will start getting all my brackets fitted and ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3141.jpg   63374723490__F7873FC8-944C-4F15-984E-2DBC3F714BE0.jpg  
87TPIYJ and bruinjeeper like this.
post #13 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 09:23 PM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That fabbed housing makes me feel funny inside. Ive wanted to build one for a long time. Looking forward to the progress Jim

Don't know if I missed it but how much stretch are you planning?

Hopefully those Barnes4wd shock towers will be long enough. I went with Daves Customs Unlimited this last go round because they were the longest I could find to keep the frame low.
shaggyjim and NHfireLJ like this.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the rule of honor - Omerta
post #14 of 249 Old 01-30-2021, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like four inches is about it but I'm going to try for five. If they are not long enough I will get something else, you know how this kinda of project goes.
bruinjeeper likes this.
post #15 of 249 Old 01-31-2021, 07:06 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running the standard Barnes shock towers in the rear with my 2.0 x 14" coilovers and they are just long enough but I mounted my axle shock mounts slightly below the centerline of the axle. Here's how I tuned my shocks for a 4000lb Jeep. Maybe it'll get you closer to what you need sooner.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in