Any YJ fuse panel guru's? (heater melting fuses) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
NorCalPound916
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any YJ fuse panel guru's? (heater melting fuses)

I have a '93 that came without A/C and only has a heater. Sometime last summer I noticed that my heater did not turn on at all after working fine the pervious winter. I let it go through november until I decided it needed to be fixed. Checked my fuse and it was melted, not shorted, but melted. Talked to a mechanic he told me to go after the blower motor resistor. Changed that, put in new fuse, same results. Then was told to go after the blower motor which may be causing a short. Replaced that, put in new fuse, similar results but the fuse does not melt as badly.

Upon trying to diagnose it by staring at the under dash fuse panel for about 15 minutes I noticed that there was another fuse panel that holds 5, 15amp fuses with wires disappearing into the OEM panel. After searching around here I can't see any pics of another fuse panel, so I assume its aftermarket. Also noticed that the other panel has wires going to it that appear to have been removed (cut) from the OEM panel and installed onto it.

My Questions:

Is the "other" panel I'm describing OEM, or is it aftermarket? (I don't have another jeep to compare to)

Has anyone had similar issues, any solutions?

Any ideas to what the cause may be and what might happen if I removed the "other" panel (if aftermarket) and just tried to replace the wires where they belong?

Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM
jmmorgan82

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could you snap a few pics so we know what you're working with?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's a little counterintuitive, but a melted fuse is not likely a dead short. A dead short will blow it quickly so this sounds like an overload condition (perhaps a bad motor)

post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
NorCalPound916
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Absolutely, here is a pic of the back of the fuse panel, showing the cut wires, then the other fuse panel in question

The back of the fuse panel shows the cut wires which are both blue I believe.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The smaller fuse block is aftermarket. You may want to check the ground on the blower motor, a bad ground may cause the circut to overload.

87 YJ, TPI 5.7, 700R4, NP231, BDS 3.5" lift, 1" front & 5/8" rear boomerang shackles, Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle, 33" Goodyear Duratracs

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM
johnny27030
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing you might check.....are all connections good and tight? Are any wires frayed? I learned the hard way that if some wiring is loose............it makes things very hot! Left me on the side of the road on a motorcycle once. Ended up replacing the main relay on the bike.....Ive seen similar situations on automobiles also.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Melted fuse? The panel is aftermarket. To melt a fuse you need a fair amount of heat for an extended period of time. This will typically blow, open or clear the fuse (all names for the same thing). One side of the fuseholder is hot when the key is in the run position, the other side goes to the appliance, (blower motor). Since the fuse isn't "blowing" it seems as if the motor is not drawing excessive current. I would check the "hot" side of the fuse holder for corrosion, if there is corrosion there excessive heat would build up melting the fuse, since the fuse is not being subjected to Hi Current it will not clear but melt.
As for the aux panel, in your "spare" time turn on everything in the Jeep and disconnect the wires 1 at a time to determine what powers what.

Regards,

Jim W.

Merry Christmas
post #8 of 8 Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

So if you pull the factory panel, or if you can get your head that far up there, I'm betting you'll find that the tabs that hold the fuse in place are cracked and not pinching the blades of the fuse anymore. This causes the voltage to arc across and super heats the fuse and melts it. I had two fuses do this, the blower motor one seems to be fairly common. I ended up pulling the panel, cutting the lines coming in and out for the blower motor and wiring in an inline fuse holder like THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in