Any more to clutch adjustment? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any more to clutch adjustment?

It's a '95 YJ, 4cyl, 5speed. 105K miles.
It has an OE hydraulic clutch. Probably original unit.
The clutch reservoir fluid level is up and it doesn't leak.

My Concern: I hardly have any clutch pedal left. It doesn't engage/disengage until the pedal is nearly all the way up. The pedal hasn't been jacked with to suspect that it is fastened to the wrong pin hole on the pedal arm or such......... It works fine when doing simple day-to-day driving but I'm a bit concerned about playing & plowing in the soon-to-arrive snow covered roads as I'm thinking that the very small amount of clutch pedal travel I may fry my clutch......My book doesn't indicate any way to perform clutch pedal adjustments. Does anyone have any thoughts/pointers/advice?

Thanks in Advance!
J-Quad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your clutch is of course, hydraulic. There is no adjustment per se. And you lucky ............you have a 95 so your clutch slave is external. Likely your problem is that fluid is leaking by (internally, since you have a full reservoir) either your master or slave so simply get a new clutch master/slave/line single unit pre-bled assembly and replace it. Very simple job and that is likely going to fix your problem.
Since you ahve 105K miles accumulated, your clutch assembly is likely pretty worn and may soon need replacement. You might be able to make it thru the cold of the Great White North, but had better consider doing the clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing/pilot bearing replacement job soon.

Photo showing Part Number of the one piece pre bled Clutch master cyl/slave cyl unit....the piece you see in the photo is the slave.

Ummmm, you have an AX5 Transmission, mine is an AX15 so the part number is likely different. At any rate, original advice stands, I would replace the clutch/slave/hose unit ASAP.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM
swedishdwarf

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your clutch system is functioning properly. There should be very little free play in the pedal. It is normal to have full disengagement after only depressing the clutch pedal two or three inches.

You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for not getting back sooner, Fellas! Work had me outta town for a few....

Opihi59,
Thanks for the explanation and pic!

Does the slave in your AX15 look the same as for an AX5?

Just for more info, I attempted to locate what you are describing in my HAYNES '87-'95 Wrangler book, but can't find anything that looks/sounds like what you're describing.....? On page 8-6, "Clutch master cylinder - removal, overhaul and installation", they list the procedures for a '87-'93, and then the procedures for an '94 model on page 8-8. .....but nowhere do they mention anything about the '95 model. ?? I guess I could stop by my local Chrysler dealer and check their parts book for pics.......

Swedishdwarf,
To get to full disengagement, I only have to depress the pedal about an inch, not two or three inches........
I was able to do some snow plowing yesterday & today with it. However, I'm not really thrilled with the very limited about of pedal travel before disengagement.......

--- Any other thoughts, Guys?

J-Quad
post #5 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
swedishdwarf

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said, completely normal. If you replace everything it will be the same. Sealed hydraulic clutch systems don't feel the same as other kinds of clutches. Just don't worry about it.

You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Rproject

1987 YJ Wrangler 

We had the same problem w/ our clutch. We have 160k on the original clutch. After feeling around (and reading some here), I found a bleeder on the top of the slave. Bled the system 2 months ago, and knock on wood, it's been great ever since. Pedal is firm and engages/disengages near the top of the travel, not the bottom.

If you have a bleeder, get someone to help you and bleed it like a brake system. Open bleeder, have second party slowly depress clutch (make sure wheels are chocked & parking brake is engaged), close bleeder, slowly release clutch.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

J-Quad, all my experience is with the AX15. I posted up my reply above then edited when I noticed from your profile that you had a 4 cyl. I simply do not know if it a different PN for the master/slave unit on the -5 and I don't want to lead you astray. The slave on the -15 is on the Driver's side. If you peek under your Jeep and look, you may be able to see if there are differences, somewhere I have a nagging thought that the slave for the -5 is on the passenger side (???) I may have a 93, but I did the external slave conversion so mine looks like the 94/5 models.
Hopefully someone like Pat or Rusty will show up and set this all straight for us........

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 12-02-2008 at 01:58 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
idaholtby

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch city lists the same p/n for the pre-bleed master/slave/line for the AX-5 and the AX-15, so they are the same. They sell it for $175. The differences between the two is the clutch and friction plate, but the master and slave are the same.
http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/PS0115.shtml
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the advice & suggestions, Fellas!

Rproject,
Did you have to add fluid before you bled the system - was it loosing fluid?
If I had lost or was continually loosing slave cylinder fluid, I can see where it may have gotten air inside & I might need to bleed the system....but it isn't and I haven't had to add any fluid.

idaholtby,
Thanks for the application, location & price research on the slave system! (they don't give those away either, do they?)

We've been getting snow nearly every day since last Sunday and I've plowed with it for, probably... a total of 8-hours since Sunday. It seems to be doing alright..... so, I'm leaning toward what the "swedishdwarf" suggested and that's to just not worry about it. Realize that 8 hours of plowing is alot of clutching action: back n' forth, back n' forth, back n' forth...usually 20 to 50 feet at a time.

J-Quad

P.S.
I also have a Ranger ('94, 4cyl, 5speed, 4X2) that also has a hydraulic clutch system. I never thought to compare it before - so I purposely took notice of the pedal travel when I shift it. The pedal doesn't engage/disengage until the pedal is nearly at the top of its travel as well... just like the '95 Wrangler. So that's more support to the position "swedishdwarf" presented...

-- '95 YJ, 4-cyl, 5-speed.
From Dec-Mar, it wears an 80" snowplow. From Apr-Nov, it gets muddy on the 2-tracks!
"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left."
post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Rproject

1987 YJ Wrangler 

We were losing a little fluid here and there. Just a 1/2 ounce or so over all, but that was enough to make the clutch act spooky. We did have to add about 1/4 ounce after bleeding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in