Any advice for a beginner? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
thekdc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any advice for a beginner?

Hey y'all yesterday I bought a 95 wrangler sahara edition 100% original and with only 18k miles. Now, I don't know a thing about jeeps, I've only driven imports up to now, but I love the thing!!

Anyway, since I'm so new to the whole "owning a jeep" thing, I thought I'd run some of our ideas by you guys and see what long term jeep lovers thought about em.

First thing I want to do is repaint it. The original dark green just isn't quite right, and so I'm planning on getting it repainted (white or dark blue possibly)

Oh and everyone has been telling me to get it lifted. Is it worth the time and money in the end?
lastly, I would like a hard top so I don't freeze this winter. Any advice on one to pick?

Thanks for the advice and sorry I'm so new to this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Michaelgoesrawr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Man, I'd keep a mint Sahara original in terms of paint and interior. They are sweet. Mine is all buggered up so in gonna paint it JP style.

Don't lift it if you aren't going to use the jeep for off road proposes. Not really needed nor is the expense worth it foe looks IMO.

Either way, you won't have to go sideways out of parking lots anymore.

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Repainting a green Sahara is blasphemy. Jeeps are supposed to be green. (army) If you repaint, it's just not a Sahara. Mine is low-gloss Sage Green.
Don't lift it till you know how you are going to use it. Worth the time and money? Maybe not if it is going to be used for shopping mall adventures.
My advise is to slow down and get to know it. Get the previous owners germs out of it to make room for yours.
If you want a hard top and doors, find a good factory set.

Got any pics?

End the Ethanol Rip-Off

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Only 18K? Wow. Nice score. OTOH You still have a 20 YO jeep. It's gonna have some issues beyond just being a jeep since it sat for so long. Before you get to the big mods ( Lift, Tires, drive train etc...) You'll need to get things in order. Like new rubber every thing. Hoses, belts, vacuum lines, fuel lines, seals and gaskets. Old gas issues even. You're in the ball park of low mileage working against you. Take a couple months to get to know it. The needs will make them selves apparent. It's also good to have a baseline of how it's supposed to feel and behave. Best money spent right now is a total fluid change. Bad fluids will tell you more about the condition of the rig than any thing at this point. You have a nice stocker and you might wanna keep it that way. A clean stock rig with that mileage and condition draws it's own respect. It is a jeep and you will make the changes in time that make it yours. Welcome to the addiction... Enablers are standing by!

Best advice! Start by reading the through the FAQ's! and do fill out you profile. The " enablers " use it for reference when you post questions.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Maybe I'm jaded from living all my life in the salt belt but I don't think I could in good conscience drive a 20 year old rig in pristine condition with low mileage to boot in the snow (salt) -ever.

My advice is to drive it and not worry about mods for now. You are asking what others think you should do but you haven't settled into the jeep yet so you don't know why one would do "a" or "b" or why you would want a certain mod other than esthetics. Stupid lifts for looks are, well, stupid, and probably the cause of 75% of the wrongly done SOA lifts out there.

It's the form follows function thing; the why is the function. Once you drive it a while you'll start to know why you want to do certain things.

Then again it's your money and if you want big tires to declare that youthful testosterone levels are not in decline in the good ol' USA then go right ahead.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 AM
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My only comment about repainting your Sahara, is that the interior has a lot of green in it right? I would at least repaint the outside to semi match the inside, which to me rules out blue. I like the green Sahara's but white might be nice too.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Grats on the purchase. Sounds like a sweet deal all around.

My advice is to live with it AS IS for a period of no less than 12 months. No Paint, No lift, AS IS. Why? you may ask.. Here's why. You need to discover what type of jeep owner you are. Are you a daily driver weekend wheeler or are you a mudder or a rock crawler? You don't know right now. I suggest you look on these forums for a Jeep Club in your area and hook up with them on a few outings in different seasons over the course of a year. Don't worry about being the "stock" jeep out there, a good group will be able to pull you over or through most anything they feel you should attempt. Find out what terrain you will encounter most, get some advice from them on upgrades, wheel your Jeep in it's stock configuration BEFORE you do ANYTHING. Once you have driven it and learned about it for a year, THEN set about to IMPROVE the PERFORMANCE of your Jeep based upon your skills, the terrain around you, and your personal tastes.

The color of your jeep should be the very LAST thing you are concerned with at this time. Do not make repainting a perfectly good jeep the priority. As was previously stated, a 20 year old Jeep with 18K miles is still going to have PLENTY of issues you will have to deal with. Issues that if not taken care of will destroy the Jeep. Go through the entire stock jeep, fresh fluids, flush radiator, fresh brake fluid, pads, rotors, fresh trans fluids, fresh transfer case fluids, front and rear differential fluids and seals... oh gawd the seals. Seals will dry out when not used regularly. I may not be too far off in saying that you may need to replace most all of the soft seals on your jeep. That includes bushings etc. Doing these repairs/refreshing will ensure that you will have a solid foundation to build the Jeep you want - once you actually know what you want.

just my 2 ... free advice is worth what you pay.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared

Tags
advice , help please , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in