JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Aluminium radiator (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/aluminium-radiator-4351243/)

chanaum 04-08-2019 03:34 PM

Aluminium radiator

Hello my stock radiator is hs.I think to buy an aluminium radiator for my yj.What do you think about " rows radiator?

chanaum 04-08-2019 03:35 PM

About 3 rows .sorry

bpounds 04-08-2019 03:46 PM

Having just replaced my radiator, I decided that a 2 row was all I needed. A 3 row would be good maybe if you had AC, or some larger engine.

bdavid500 04-12-2019 09:58 AM

A good 2 row should be sufficient unless you live in a very hot climate. Finding a quality unit is the probably the hardest part.

Waternut 04-12-2019 11:49 AM

Don't get too wrapped in the 2 vs 3 core shennanigans. 3 cores that are 0.6" wide have less cooling capacity than 2 - 1" cores.

My aluminum radiator that I bought on Amazon for $135 (meant for V8's) has 2 cores and keeps my LS engine at 190-194 degrees all day long. Doesn't matter if I'm running, wheeling, idling in traffic, or running down the interstate at 75mph and 2800rpms.

I actually tried to run an electric fan but the radiator was almost too efficient so the fan would rarely run since it didn't need to for the engine. The rest of the engine bay was too hot to touch though and the power steering pump and electrics didn't like it when I went wheeling so I out the mechanical fan back on.

Food for thought...

HAZCAT 04-12-2019 12:06 PM

Also keep in mind that a 3 row may be (in many cases) thicker and might cause a fitment issue with your fan. I'm getting ready to replace my radiator in my CJ and doing an aluminum 2 row for that reason. I like the brass radiators but most have plastic tanks now and I just don't want that so going aluminum and the same measurements of my original

bpounds 04-12-2019 01:34 PM

The all brass/copper radiator I just installed is working out great.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...scuss-4348525/

HAZCAT 04-12-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 40585119)
The all brass/copper radiator I just installed is working out great.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...scuss-4348525/

Are the tanks on yours plastic or metal?

Waternut 04-12-2019 02:32 PM

92 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HAZCAT (Post 40585053)
Also keep in mind that a 3 row may be (in many cases) thicker and might cause a fitment issue with your fan. I'm getting ready to replace my radiator in my CJ and doing an aluminum 2 row for that reason.

This is good advice. My radiator is quite a bit thicker than my old one. My buddy installed a cheap aluminum radiator on his CJ and had to run a low profile electric fan....granted that was his original plan anyway since his old metal fan murdered his last radiator on the trail.

HAZCAT 04-12-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waternut (Post 40585179)
This is good advice. My radiator is quite a bit thicker than my old one. My buddy installed a cheap aluminum radiator on his CJ and had to run a low profile electric fan....granted that was his original plan anyway since his old metal fan murdered his last radiator on the trail.

I think I am going with a cheaper aluminum one and do dual fans with a shroud on mine as I am doing a 4.0 swap and getting all the stuff for the swap. I already have an electric low profile fan too so no big deal doing the electric fan.

bpounds 04-12-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAZCAT (Post 40585167)
Are the tanks on yours plastic or metal?

It is ALL brass and copper. The only plastic on the whole thing is the drain cock.

JeeperDon 04-12-2019 06:03 PM

I went with an all aluminum 2 core from Summit Racing, couple hundred bucks. I need a Chevy conversion radiator, but the cooling aspect is the same. As said, unless you have a high heat maker motor, 2 is plenty. I'm in the NM heat too, zero issues on any day.

Chrisnvegas 04-13-2019 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm 20 minutes from Death Valley.
When it comes to cooling, I always over do vs. getting by. Needs and circumstances change. Situations vary. Even if I lived in a cooler climate, I'd still do the same thing.

I have a 4.0 and a thick 3 core. Works just fine with the fan. In fact, when I changed the radiator, I also changed the water pump and the fan clutch. I found an original Mopar water pump and OEM (AC Delco) fan clutch. My Jeep probably wouldn't overheat on Venus.
As most already know, I'm no fan of electric fans (Get it, no fan of fans? Nevermind)
For a couple reasons. First, they're weak compared to the belt driven monster with heavily angled metal blades.
The stock fan is rated at over 4000 cfpm.
A performance electric is half that if you're lucky.
Second, there are a bunch of places an electric can fail. It's not simple like OEM. Many points of failure. Horsepower? You are losing 4 times the power just by using 10% ethanol (garbage) in your fuel. (about 10 horsepower on a 4.0)

Not many electric fans being used in heavy duty applications. You won't find an electric fan under the hood of an F350, Silverado 3500 or a Cat 966 loader. Not a Bobcat or a Freightliner.

The cap is important. It keeps the pressure where it needs to be. High pressure helps prevent localized hot spots, cavitation and boiling points. It actually forces the coolant against the inner passages.
I took the radiator replacement to do a whole cooling system overhaul including the serp belt, hoses, t-stat ect.
Good for another 25 years.

chanaum 04-14-2019 11:11 AM

Sorry for my poor English
i read all threads and buy an aluminium 3rows radiator .My yj is an original yj from 92 bit i swap a 4.0 with manual AX 15 .my water pump is new, i have install a volvo 2 speed electric fan with volvo bloc relay and BMW thermostat switch with 2 temperatures .I think the stock radiator is good for the 2,5 but not for 4.0 .

chanaum 04-14-2019 11:17 AM

FOR CHRISNVEGAS
what your radiator in the front of the cooling radiator and what the key contact

The time now is 10:09 PM.