Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Alternator Field Wire

756 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Que89YJ 
#1 ·
So I have an 88YJ fuel injected from a 94 XJ. I decided to use my upgraded 136amp alternator from my YJ instead of swapping over to lower amp alternator from the XJ.

I'm getting tired of the CEL light constantly being on, and not being able to know when a new code possibly kicks (for example the engine running to lean code that was flagged for who knows how long).

Is there a way to trick the PCM into thinking the alternator is there? I don't really want to swap alternators (it be close to a 200 dollar swap at minimum.)

Thanks,

Duff

#3 ·
I don't want to swap alternators at this point. I'm trying to keep what I have. I like the setup, and it works for me.

I read somewhere that it can be tricked but they didn't go into details on how.

#4 ·
OK. The alternator for the stock YJ is a internally regulated alternator. It was not meant to hook up to the new style alternator with the external control. If you have the multiport fuel injection you need the externally regulated alternator from a 91 or later or the computer will not see the voltage and throw a code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.