Alternator alternatives? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Brokagain

Alternator alternatives?

I would like to pick up an alternator at the junkyard for my 93 YJ. I need more amps, especially at the speed I put around on the trails. I saw a thread here a while back and someone mentioned a couple of Cadillac years that would bold right in.

I don't want to fab a bracket, and I want to know that a high amp alternative would work.

The guy at the yard said no, but, what does he know about this kind of stuff?

Anybody know what years, makes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know about Caddys, but this might interest you,

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #3 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 02:17 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The problem is less about the mounting and more about the delco caddy alternator (CS-144) is internally regulated and your current alternator is externally regulated via the ecm. There may be a solution for that problem but I can not help further since I am lucky enough to have the last year that works for a direct delco bolt in.

search a little more this was a topic that got beat up pretty good a few months ago.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #4 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM
pat8942

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing the alternator won't help much if you are having a charging problem because running at low rpm.
You'll be turning the replacement at the same speed and it won't do much better.
You could put a smaller pulley on the alternator to increase the speed at low rpm.
I'm just thinking and sharing my take on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokagain
I would like to pick up an alternator at the junkyard for my 93 YJ. I need more amps, especially at the speed I put around on the trails. I saw a thread here a while back and someone mentioned a couple of Cadillac years that would bold right in.

I don't want to fab a bracket, and I want to know that a high amp alternative would work.

The guy at the yard said no, but, what does he know about this kind of stuff?

Anybody know what years, makes?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Brokagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942
Replacing the alternator won't help much if you are having a charging problem because running at low rpm.
You'll be turning the replacement at the same speed and it won't do much better.
You could put a smaller pulley on the alternator to increase the speed at low rpm.
I'm just thinking and sharing my take on it.
Yeah, I have hopes of installing one that makes good amps at low rpm. I'm not having a charging problem, at least not yet. I don't drive my 93 on the roads so much anymore so I'm thinking more amps at lower rpms would keep the battery fully charged for a good winch fest, extra night lights, cb, etc., etc. And, the way I wheel, I go a ways, do an obstacle, shut the jeep off and watch the fun. Stop, Jeep, repeat.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
nic99007
2000 XJ Cherokee 

try this link, it has a great chart to show all the options that you could find at a U-pull and are OEM or close
http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=400.0
post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

93 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham is a CS-144 and making a bracket is truly VERY simple.....

at idle my alternator puts out about 75 amps which is about what my stock alternator did MAX. at 1700 or so rpm's my alternator is putting out about 130amps and by 2k rpm's it's putting out a hefty 150amps

as for internal vs external regulated alternators... what year did the ecm start regulating voltage? i was under the assumption it wasnt until the tj although i never really looked into it.

swapping to an internally regulated alternator would be simple enough though.... after all, it's just a wire or to....

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
93 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham is a CS-144 and making a bracket is truly VERY simple.....

at idle my alternator puts out about 75 amps which is about what my stock alternator did MAX. at 1700 or so rpm's my alternator is putting out about 130amps and by 2k rpm's it's putting out a hefty 150amps

as for internal vs external regulated alternators... what year did the ecm start regulating voltage? i was under the assumption it wasnt until the tj although i never really looked into it.

swapping to an internally regulated alternator would be simple enough though.... after all, it's just a wire or to....

I did not research this completely, since I have the old style alternator. But, I know there was a thread floating around that said something about fooling the ecm into thinking there was an alternator connected but hooing up a light bulb or a resistor. Something along those lines. It can be done.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
what year did the ecm start regulating voltage?
91, same year they went to MPI. 87-90 the CS-144 or other delco alt is usually the simplest option for good return, 91+ the grand cherokee swap is pretty much the way to go. both put out similar amperage and bracket modifications are kept to a minimum by using very similar housings for the respective years.

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Brokagain

Somebody is way smarter than me. I went to the local u pull it and in every grand cherokee that should have had the alternator needed, it was gone!

If I don't find one at a resonable junkyard price I may have to wait until I do have problems and get an aftermarket high amp alternator.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 AM
xxxflhrci

post #12 of 12 Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 AM
WindBlown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokagain
Yeah, I have hopes of installing one that makes good amps at low rpm. I'm not having a charging problem, at least not yet. I don't drive my 93 on the roads so much anymore so I'm thinking more amps at lower rpms would keep the battery fully charged for a good winch fest, extra night lights, cb, etc., etc. And, the way I wheel, I go a ways, do an obstacle, shut the jeep off and watch the fun. Stop, Jeep, repeat.
If you can't figure one out you may want to store an extra battery and if its getitg undercharged swithc the sucker. ta s pare battery is liek 50-70 dollars and just store it in the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in