air scoop - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
DGoodman111

air scoop

my yj came with an air scoop on the hood. it has an opening on one end. the opening faces the windshield. i was wondering which way it is supposed to face b/c i dont think thats the right way. also. is it even worth having that thing on. do they really do anything. it seems to catch all the leaves and debris very well while i drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 09:25 AM
gcsi09

well me personal have no clue tho. if the opening is facing the windshield its supposed to get clean air to the vent when you go mudding(which lead into the interior vent.). just a thought tho. most likely wrong. lol..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR Sale:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 YJ Red w/ tan soft top and tan interior. 31x10.5 on 15 in rims.

Status for what I want and have:
4 inch suspension (R/C installed and loving it)
33x12.5(need)
Radio(Done)
Bummpers [front, rear and side] (need)
Gauge Cluster(need)

RED JEEP CLUB#320
post #3 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The scoop will intake more air when facing backwards due to the high pressure air that is found at the base of the windshield. It also keeps the rain out!

post #4 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 09:57 AM
gcsi09

LOL see i told you i was wrong.

FOR Sale:

1991 YJ Red w/ tan soft top and tan interior. 31x10.5 on 15 in rims.

Status for what I want and have:
4 inch suspension (R/C installed and loving it)
33x12.5(need)
Radio(Done)
Bummpers [front, rear and side] (need)
Gauge Cluster(need)

RED JEEP CLUB#320
post #5 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 10:03 AM
rcarchie

i don't really understand why some people turn the scoops facing the winshield unless they think it looks better that way....some say that it keeps additional mud and water from entering the fresh air system while mudding, but if you don't have a scoop the mud and water can enter through the fresh air vent on the cowl......i guess if you had a scoop installed it would block some of the mud and water from getting into the fresh air vent while mudding....the real purpose for the scoop is to strengthen the flow of fresh air as the jeep moves down the road....the scoop captures air and forces it down the fresh air vent and out into the tub.....the faster you go the more air is forced down the fresh air system....if you have scoop facing the windshield you should still get some additional air flow through the fresh air system due to the 'cowl induction' affect.....there is a low pressure pocket of air created at the base of the windshield as the jeep moves forward.....this low pressure will force the air into the scoop and down the fresh air vent....the flow of additional fresh air will not be nearly as strong as if the scoop was facing forward.....the backwards facing scoop works similar in principle to the cowl induction air intakes of the old chevy muscle cars in the 60's and 70's....
post #6 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 03:54 PM
schitzangiggles
King of Macastan

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I guess you missed the post above you about the high pressure air coming off of the wind sheild. Fluids in motion (yes air behaves much like a fliud) move from a high pressure area to a low pressure area. With out boring you to death on fluid dynamics, the aerodynamic principles of a brick, laminar and boundry layer airflow just believe us when we say, the opening should face the windsheild.
post #7 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

schitzangiggles have you ever studied fluid dynamics ? not questioning your post, actually interested in whether you do or not, because i may want to be an engineer and have met some people studying fluid dynamics. is it interesting? later
post #8 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 PM
jeverett
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaylight
schitzangiggles have you ever studied fluid dynamics ? not questioning your post, actually interested in whether you do or not, because i may want to be an engineer and have met some people studying fluid dynamics. is it interesting? later
I have studied fluid power and dynamics, and it is definately very interesting stuff. And he has it exactly right about the scoop facing rearward.

04 TJ sport 4.0 automatic. Stock, for now.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett
I have studied fluid power and dynamics, and it is definately very interesting stuff. And he has it exactly right about the scoop facing rearward.
sweet! if i ever put in a scoop i will know which way to put it. yea fluid dynamics seems like a fun thing to study. did u go to college and study it ? if so... where. i sound like a questionaire, but i'm interested! :P
post #10 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

with the scoop facing the rear, wouldn't it be more likely to act as a vent to remove engine heat (at speed), rather than intake air?
cowl hoods worked because the had the filter element inside the cowl, and opened because of the vacuum off the secondaries on the carb, (sucking air in).

with a Jeep airbox, the air inlet is at the other end (front) of the vehcile (to get fresh air)

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #11 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
DGoodman111

damn, i never thought what seemed to be a simple question was going to become such a heated debate. i think im goin with leaving it facing the window. u guys sounded pretty confident but both points sound very convincing
post #12 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 05:13 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

This isn't a debate, just a discussion.
you YJ guys are so pleasant...(makes me wish I hadn't sold mine )
you want a debate, go over to the TJ section, and tell'm how much of a difference your K&N and TBS made!

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #13 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
schitzangiggles
King of Macastan

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I studies fluid dynamics in high school and aeronautics is a hobby of mine. I am working on my license for helo's as time permits.

Next time you are driving down the road at speed, turn on the heat, turn the fan to the off/vent position and let me know how much air is still coming out of the vent.
post #14 of 35 Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonhoss71
with the scoop facing the rear, wouldn't it be more likely to act as a vent to remove engine heat (at speed), rather than intake air?
cowl hoods worked because the had the filter element inside the cowl, and opened because of the vacuum off the secondaries on the carb, (sucking air in).

with a Jeep airbox, the air inlet is at the other end (front) of the vehcile (to get fresh air)
Joon, the scoop we're talking about here is on the heater intake vent on the hood, not one for the intake of the engine.

as far as which direction, it works both ways. mine is facing forward and as some of you would expect it traps air like a funnel and sends it down through the vents. facing it rearward works as well. easiest way to see it happening is to drive with the soft top on but no rear curtain and see how much air gets sucked in through the back. as the jeep moves forward through the air a low pressure is created inside the cab because you force the air to the side. air and fluids in general always flow high to low pressure so when the air comes over the rear edge of the top it sees a low pressure inside the cab and flows inside. the same effect is true with the scoop. low pressure inside the scoop, high pressure outside from hitting the windshield, voila! air flows in. you'd have to have a flow meter to figure out which works better, but forward seems to work fine for me.

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #15 of 35 Old 07-20-2005, 07:06 AM
rcarchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
Joon, the scoop we're talking about here is on the heater intake vent on the hood, not one for the intake of the engine.

as far as which direction, it works both ways. mine is facing forward and as some of you would expect it traps air like a funnel and sends it down through the vents. facing it rearward works as well. easiest way to see it happening is to drive with the soft top on but no rear curtain and see how much air gets sucked in through the back. as the jeep moves forward through the air a low pressure is created inside the cab because you force the air to the side. air and fluids in general always flow high to low pressure so when the air comes over the rear edge of the top it sees a low pressure inside the cab and flows inside. the same effect is true with the scoop. low pressure inside the scoop, high pressure outside from hitting the windshield, voila! air flows in. you'd have to have a flow meter to figure out which works better, but forward seems to work fine for me.

AMEN! ........not to sound like a smart as* but if the scoop worked as well facing rearward for capturing air don't you think drag cars would turn their scops that way?......those engines cost 10's of thousands of $ to build and if they could be protected from sucking something down the intake and get the same forced air induction i am sure they would do it.....as i stated in my earlier post the scoop will work facing rearward, just not as effective for capturing air.....don't need to understand fluid dynamics for this one...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in