Aftermarket seat dilemma - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-10-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Senior Member
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 923
Aftermarket seat dilemma

I've owned some generic Amazon racing seats for over a year now. They were cheap, have held up pretty well, I like the way they look, and they are fantastic at holding me in place when wheeling off camber. However, they are hard seats and are clearly meant more for a sports car rather than offroad rig so the ride quality is terrible. They also don't have a slot in the seat bottom for a 5 point harness.

I've been looking at various offroad suspension seats but my ability to sit in them is fairly limited. I have a Summit Racing semi-nearby and have sat in a few but even then it's tough to get a true feel for the seat if the seat angle and height is way off of what a Jeep would be. The only thing that's really good for is to determine if the seat is way too narrow or not. So I'm hoping some people can chime in on their experience with aftermarket seats. I'm 6' tall and weigh about 200 lbs.

After a bunch of research, I've found a lot of seats that all pretty much follow the same design but have wildly different prices. My primary design criteria that I'm looking for are 5 point harness capable, suspension seat of some sort, all vinyl since my Jeep never has a top, and hopefully enough comfort to drive an hour or two without my legs cramping up. Sub $600 for a set would be ideal as well. I don't care about mounting because I figure I'll have to modify my brackets for all of them.

Smittybuilt XRC seats - $570 (I've heard mixed reviews on build quality and the price is too high for that so I'm pretty much discarding this option unless people start raving about them)
Jegs/Procar/Scat suspension seats - $300-$400 (The reviews on these are all over the place. The price is good but it's hard to decipher the reviews as to whether people are being super picky or whether the good reviews are just initial reviews before installation)
PRP seats - $610-$660 (These sound like the best option, can be custom made to the colors you want, but they are also the most expensive)
Corbeau Baja SS - $400 (Nice looking seat but I've heard people say they are slightly narrow and a bit too short making a harness a bit dangerous)
Corbeau Baja JP - $400 (Has decent reviews but it looks narrower than the SS so that's worrying)
Corbeau Baja RS and Baja ultra wide - $600 (Both seats seem to have higher favorable reviews than the Baja SS and JP series but they're nearly the same price as PRP seats)

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190910-155842.jpg  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 09-10-2019, 03:27 PM
88_yj
Registered User
 
88_yj's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dayton
Posts: 419
Dont have too much input for you but I did have the corbeau jp and most people that saw it in the jeep though it was a baby seat with how short it is. I'm close to the same size as you at 6' 190lbs give or take.

I just ordered a set of the mastercraft nomads have yet to get them installed though but they look a lot nicer than the corbeau were.

Sent from my SM-T387P using Tapatalk
88_yj is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 09-10-2019, 04:03 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 6,275
Do your current blue seats have a spider stitched into them near the headrest? They look exactly like mine.

I got them in a trade for my OEM ripped up seats, plus the guy gave me 40$ (I know, right?).

Sorry for the detour here, just curious. I actually reached out this morning to @paulhead about his experience with the Corbeau Moabs (again totally unrelated as you are looking for 5 point harness adaptability). Just funny how we're kind of on the same page with pretty much the same current seat setup.

Carry on..

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
bruinjeeper is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 PM
timatoe
Registered User
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley
Posts: 17,454
So I'm a bit bigger than you at 6'1" and 235, and I fit very comfortably in the Master Craft Baja RS seats. They are pricey though at $500 EACH.... Master Craft offers a Rubicon seat for less and a buddy has them in his TJ and they are also comfortable, though I think a bit more narrow. I don't care for them because they have a fixed back and the side bolster is too high (if you have to slide out, there's high probability that your leg will drag and the boys will meet that bolster if you know what I'm saying). They also offer their Nomad seat which is an offshore built budget seat but like the Rubicon. You can go to the site and get dimensions for each seat if you wanna compare to others. Master Craft Safety

I have no personal experience with Corbeau seats, but I know at least four people who bought them and were not very happy with them and later went to Master Craft. So unhappy in fact, one of them wouldn't sell me his used seats.

I also have not used PRP seats but have sat in some and they were comfy and I believe they have a wide seat option (I tihnk the Smitty's might too). The only thing really to worry about getting a wide seat is center console fit. If you have a custom console or something aftermarket like a Tuffy it may not fit anymore.

I ran seats like you have for about three years, I got them from JC Whitney in a buy one get one free sale. That's where I discovered the aforementioned boys vs leg on slide out. The MC Rubicon bolster is higher than those. Also my hips used to hurt after a long wheeling day in those seats, not so in the Baja RS seats.

I got the Baja seat (I could only afford one) through Quadratec, they had the best price and gave a forum discount. Amazon has some good deals too at times on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it
 
paulhead's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,179
I had the Corbeau Baja RS wide's, liked them, but them switched to the Corbeau Moabs and LOVED THEM much more for a few reasons. The Baja RS has the side bolsters which makes getting in and out a little uncomfortable but once in felt snug. The Moabs are flatter , easy to get in and out of and very comfortable. The RS's are wider seats (actually had to make new mounting point for the brackets, couln't close the jeep door) and I couldn't fit my aftermarket center console in between them and I was bummed, with the Moabs I have ample room. You're gonna need the Corbeau seat brackets with both (or fab/modify the stock ones) and still the Moabs sit about an inch lower than the RS's so I'm at around stock height or maybe a bit lower which I like. I'm 5'9", 40" waist 225lbs. I'm really happy with the Moabs and would get them again. Don't get the Neoprene cause it fades.
here's my write up
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...l#post40342857

Here's my review of the RS's
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f245...aja-rs-771679/

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paulhead is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 PM
04TJ-jeeper
Registered User
 
04TJ-jeeper's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Port Orchard
Posts: 333
i'm same size as you, 6' roughly 200lbs. I have both the baja jp and baja jp wide, the jp has shorter back and higher side bolsters which make it feel more narrow but hold you amazingly well. the jp wide has a higher back and lower bolsters which still hold you decently well. I find both comfortable but prefer the wide as my drivers seat and the standard jp as passenger to hold them in place better. the jp wide seems to sit a little more up right as well which I like. in one of my other jeeps I have heated baja SS which are absolutely amazing but need to adapt them to your cage or figure out how to attach them since they're made for full cages. I also have a set of corbeau moabs which are comfortable and they recline, but the side bolster is practically non existent. as with any corbeau seat I would suggest getting the brackets for them since they sit pretty high on stock brackets.

1987 YJ 4.2 / 1990 YJ 4.2 / 1995 YJ 4.0 / 2014 JKU / 2019 JLU
04TJ-jeeper is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Senior Member
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Do your current blue seats have a spider stitched into them near the headrest? They look exactly like mine.

I got them in a trade for my OEM ripped up seats, plus the guy gave me 40$ (I know, right?).

Sorry for the detour here, just curious. I actually reached out this morning to @paulhead about his experience with the Corbeau Moabs (again totally unrelated as you are looking for 5 point harness adaptability). Just funny how we're kind of on the same page with pretty much the same current seat setup.

Carry on..
I'm guessing the seats are the same ones made overseas as yours but mine don't have the spider stitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
So I'm a bit bigger than you at 6'1" and 235, and I fit very comfortably in the Master Craft Baja RS seats. They are pricey though at $500 EACH.... Master Craft offers a Rubicon seat for less and a buddy has them in his TJ and they are also comfortable, though I think a bit more narrow. I don't care for them because they have a fixed back and the side bolster is too high (if you have to slide out, there's high probability that your leg will drag and the boys will meet that bolster if you know what I'm saying). They also offer their Nomad seat which is an offshore built budget seat but like the Rubicon. You can go to the site and get dimensions for each seat if you wanna compare to others. Master Craft Safety

I have no personal experience with Corbeau seats, but I know at least four people who bought them and were not very happy with them and later went to Master Craft. So unhappy in fact, one of them wouldn't sell me his used seats.

I also have not used PRP seats but have sat in some and they were comfy and I believe they have a wide seat option (I tihnk the Smitty's might too). The only thing really to worry about getting a wide seat is center console fit. If you have a custom console or something aftermarket like a Tuffy it may not fit anymore.

I ran seats like you have for about three years, I got them from JC Whitney in a buy one get one free sale. That's where I discovered the aforementioned boys vs leg on slide out. The MC Rubicon bolster is higher than those. Also my hips used to hurt after a long wheeling day in those seats, not so in the Baja RS seats.

I got the Baja seat (I could only afford one) through Quadratec, they had the best price and gave a forum discount. Amazon has some good deals too at times on them.
Good info on Corbeau. I actually sat in the Mastercraft Baja RS seats and I like them a lot. However, they are quite expensive. More importantly though, they only come in cloth on top from what I saw. I actually prefer the cloth seats on a warm or cold day. However, that extra comfort and joy is lost when they fade, get rained on, or get mud on them every time I go offroad. I think the Procar sportman series seats are the Mastercraft knock offs but they only come in cloth tops as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
I had the Corbeau Baja RS wide's, liked them, but them switched to the Corbeau Moabs and LOVED THEM much more for a few reasons. The Baja RS has the side bolsters which makes getting in and out a little uncomfortable but once in felt snug. The Moabs are flatter , easy to get in and out of and very comfortable. The RS's are wider seats (actually had to make new mounting point for the brackets, couln't close the jeep door) and I couldn't fit my aftermarket center console in between them and I was bummed, with the Moabs I have ample room. You're gonna need the Corbeau seat brackets with both (or fab/modify the stock ones) and still the Moabs sit about an inch lower than the RS's so I'm at around stock height or maybe a bit lower which I like. I'm 5'9", 40" waist 225lbs. I'm really happy with the Moabs and would get them again. Don't get the Neoprene cause it fades.
here's my write up
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...l#post40342857

Here's my review of the RS's
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f245...aja-rs-771679/
I'll take a good look at those reviews at home. I forgot about the review section of this forum so I may go there and look as well. I do think the Moab seats would be great for normal driving but I do like a high bolster for off camber wheeling. I just want that high bolster to be at the butt or waist rather than my thighs. Can't man spread when I've got high thigh bolsters...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Duck Doctor
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 1,165
I have the Baja XRS in my YJ and Corbeau Moab seats in my TJ. The Baja RS are a couple inches shorter than the XRS. The XRS seats are short and offer no neck support unless you are small. I’m 6’3” 215 and hate the XRS seats as the seat backs do not support my head. Top of the seat basically touches the middle of my neck.

Corbeau Moab seats offer full head support and are much more comfortable. Too bad they aren’t setup for five point harness.
Duck Doctor is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 09-12-2019, 04:10 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler
 
87TPIYJ's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 2,082
Garage
Im 5-11" and been anywhere between 180-240 lbs. I have some Master Craft Baja RS seats currently. They are very comfortable seats and you would not be disapointed with them. However, I am getting ready to sell them with my current built (they are tan and that color doesnt work with my build). I ordered PRP enduro's. I have sat in them in other builds and at least just sitting in them for a couple minutes they are the most comfortable seat I have sat in. Not to mention they are 100% customizable. If buying new PRP. If tan seats work for you and you want to save some coin I have a set availible in the next month or so.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
87TPIYJ is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Waternut
Senior Member
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 923
Anyone ever heard of cipher seats before? These look promising but I can't really find much in terms of reviews... https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...252d-PAIR.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 09-14-2019, 08:15 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Anyone ever heard of cipher seats before? These look promising but I can't really find much in terms of reviews... https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...252d-PAIR.html
that looks very comfortable and forgiving

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it
 
paulhead's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,179
For that price I'd get the Moabs

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paulhead is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 09-14-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Senior Member
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
For that price I'd get the Moabs
Moabs won't take a 5 point harness and I'd personally want more side bolster than those give as well. I've heaven't really heard bad things about the Moabs for the average daily driver jeep though.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it
 
paulhead's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Moabs won't take a 5 point harness and I'd personally want more side bolster than those give as well. I've heaven't really heard bad things about the Moabs for the average daily driver jeep though.
By 5 point do you mean slots in the boosters and between your legs as well? Cause the Moabs have the same slots as the seats you posted, at the head rest. I love mine but I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paulhead is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 09-14-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Senior Member
 
Waternut's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Macon
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
By 5 point do you mean slots in the boosters and between your legs as well? Cause the Moabs have the same slots as the seats you posted, at the head rest. I love mine but I guess it's a matter of opinion.
The slots in the side aren't necessary. The slot in front of your crotch is the 5th point. I'm not racing so submarining isn't a concern but I can't crank on my shoulder straps without that 5th point or the lap belt becomes a stomach belt which is really dangerous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Waternut is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome