Aftermarket Bodymount question. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
JoeCoVA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket Bodymount question.

Hey all,

I have possibly a rookie question here. How much do poly bushings "squish" if at all under the weight of the body? I ask because my stock bushings are about 1/4" - 1/2" thick and the new bushings are exactly an inch. With the 1" body lift as well it looks like my Jeep may be lifted about 1.5" unless these new mounts squish down at all.

As far as the install, its going well but had to stop because of rain. All but 2 bolts loosened up with ease. The rear body mount bolts maybe had 5-10 lbs to loosen which I couldn't believe, removed them by hand easily. The two that are stuck are soaking in more PB buster and I am going about them, very carefully. They move but under a lot of torque.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0265[1].jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
JoeCoVA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I'll find out.

Spoke too soon though as I have 1 body mount spinning. The front one under the grill. Andy advise on removing it is appreciated.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 06:01 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to reach up behind that one and hold the back side.

Where are the metal cups on the bottom of those bushings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
JoeCoVA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
You should be able to reach up behind that one and hold the back side.

Where are the metal cups on the bottom of those bushings?
The front body bolt I cant seem to access from the rear, the front has an opening but cant get a wrench in there, maybe pliers? As far as the metal cups, most of these were so rusted that when i started turning the nuts everything just crumbled apart so for all I know they just rusted into oblivion.

So I got one side almost done. Front is still spinning and the rear crossmember was damaged before I bought the Jeep but never paid much attention to is at it didnt affect anything...until now.

Anyone have a suggestion about the crossmember, the bolts wont reach and it leaves this body mount/lift at a slight angle, my fix was to basically get a longer bolt, secure it and call it a day, I dont think it will be a problem other than maybe wear the bushing down faster.

The front body bolt I cant seem to access from the rear, the front has an opening but cant get a wrench in there, maybe pliers?

It's torrential rain atm so stuck inside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0275[1].jpg   IMG_0274[1].jpg   IMG_0271[1].jpg   IMG_0270[1].jpg  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 09:26 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Probably not what you wanna hear, but I'd cut that rear crossmember out and replace it.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
JoeCoVA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Probably not what you wanna hear, but I'd cut that rear crossmember out and replace it.
Might be a bit beyond my experience. Have never done chassis work or used a welder before. I might try a heavy duty C-clamp or try some more hammering.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2016, 11:29 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, probably not a first weld job type project.

Quote:
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
JoeCoVA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So this is fully installed. The front bolt can be accessed by removing the crossbar in front of the grill holding the breakline, to do this I had to remove the winch plate. So I removed the front bumper bolts and lifted the winch and the plate and propped it up on 2x4s. Pulled the crossbar and ultimately had to cut the nut. I cut the nut in half and pulled the top off then I cut the bolt underneath right above the rubber mount and pulled the two halves out. Replaced with new hardware and new nut and reinstalled the winch plate. With the body lift the cross member did not fit correctly and also caused my winch plate to not sit correctly so I kept it off and secured the brake lines to the bottom of the winchplate.

For the rear crossmember rather than trying to fix that bulge I pounded the plate up and once the hardware was lined up I lowered the body to put the weight on the mounts and then bolted it in.

I wasnt sure how much to torque evetything. The instructions says make them tight but dont crush the mounts but in order to crank them tight you kind of crush the mounts. Everything was torqued between 30-50 ft lbs. Hopefully thats ok.

A couple of notes, the body lift affected how the transmission changes gears in that the stick hits the tub for 2nd, 4th and so on. This will be fixed shortly once I due to the tummy tuck and get everything else in line.

Also ifnore the diamond plating and fender flares, I removed those once the body lift was installed, I plan to put on tub fenders, strip the body and repaint.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0278.jpg   IMG_0273[1].jpg   IMG_0279.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in