999 tranny rebuild.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

999 tranny rebuild....

This is my first ever forum post so go easy on me! 90 wrangler 4.2, picked it up for cheap $2,300, only 100,000 miles!, wife can't drive a manual so got the auto. Kept breaking flexplates (2 in a week!) Thought it was TC, bought new one, went to replace it and found stator support shaft chewed up so I have decided to rebuild myself. First time rebuilding one so any input/ advice would be great! Have all the tools, getting astg manual tomorrow, probably going to get the super kit from wit trans and get a transgo kit...anyone have the transgo kit installed? I will be taking lots of pics and posting on this rebuild step by step, as I couldn't find any full writeups 999 specific. Thanks!

Last edited by stuckparatroope; 03-09-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming that you've rebuilt automatics before. There are a number of articles with general torqueflite hints over at allpar.com

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #3 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I built my 727 with the transgo kit. I did the stage 3 (or whatever the highest stage is) and it its a fast snappy shift. Probably not something you will want for a DD.

Get yourself a nice set of snap ring pliers
use vasoline for all the pistons/seals when you rebuild

BENCH TEST BEFORE PUTTING THE VALVE BODY BACK ON!!!!! This will tell you if you screwed something up before putting in the vehicle to find out all you have is reverse because a seal was installed wrong...... yeah I learned the hard way on that lol.

With bench testing you use compressed air and it will test each clutch pack and servos.

I would buy a deeper aluminum pan and install a trans temp gauge and aux cooler. Also replace the torque converter.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato2k5 View Post
I built my 727 with the transgo kit. I did the stage 3 (or whatever the highest stage is) and it its a fast snappy shift. Probably not something you will want for a DD.

BENCH TEST BEFORE PUTTING THE VALVE BODY BACK ON!!!!! This will tell you if you screwed something up before putting in the vehicle to find out all you have is reverse because a seal was installed wrong...... yeah I learned the hard way on that lol.

With bench testing you use compressed air and it will test each clutch pack and servos.

I would buy a deeper aluminum pan and install a trans temp gauge and aux cooler. Also replace the torque converter.
Sorry about jumping in here, but I think it's relevant.

Can an automatic be overcooled? Mt trans (T999) works great. I change the fluid every fall and it's not a DD so it probably has 2000 to 3000 miles between changes. BUT, I run sand dunes much of that time. Big sand dunes. I figure it is a big strain on the trans.
I have a Behr trans cooler. It's 2x4x20 inches. It's a heavy duty stacked plate cooler. Is it too big? I haven't installed it yet.

Societies that are truly free can survive only if an open debate and an uncensored exchange of ideas can take place
post #5 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato2k5 View Post

I already have a new tc and flexplate ready to go, should be tackling this within the next few days, just waiting for the kit to arrive. I also plan to relocate the vent as I have heard the flood out fairly easy. This is the first automatic vehicle I have ever owned and the first trans ever rebuilt but I'm fairly mechanically inclined jeeper so I'm gonna give it a swing! Thinking about getting the stage 2 transgo.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just remember, in an auto, cleanliness is everything--far more critical than engines or manual transmissions. No dust, no paper towels, lint free cloth only.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #7 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I have heard...my wife doesn't know it yet but I plan to commandeer our kitchen for it lol. Probably a dumb question but what is the vasoline for?? Holding parts in or for other reasons?
post #8 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Yankee-Juliet
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Looking forward to this. Please be thorough and post lots of pics.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." ~ Adam Savage

"Dog-gone it Roy-Jean, how many times do I have to explain it to ya, when I tell ya to put a rock under the wheel, I MEAN A ROCK!!" ~ C.W. McCall
post #9 of 16 Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a feeling this is going to get interesting

"If a trail breaks your jeep....this is a formal insult, grounds for retaliation from the jeep gods in the form of a motor swap, bigger lift kit, bigger tires, and a grudge run at it....break out your cameras boys...and, WATCH THIS!!!!" - last words before the demise of my favorite jeep!
post #10 of 16 Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sooo...beginning to wonder if a rebuild is even necessary.. I bought the jeep with a broken flex plate, the guy thought it was a rod knock, I replaced the flex plate and put back together, drove around 20 miles and broke another flexplate exactly the same way as the first one! I replaced the dowel pins and the alignment was perfect so I thought it may be a bad torque converter so I bought a new one and when I went to reinstall it, I found that when it is fully seated into the trans, it will wobble, and the stator support shaft had about an 1/8" of the splines nearest the bellhousing worn down, and the tc will wobble left right up down, by hand....but the input shaft doesn't have hardly any play....I'm almost at a loss as to whether I need to rebuild or if the problem is something else. Few metal shavings in bellhoising but I think they were from the inspection plate, because there was none in the trans fluid... any suggestions?!

"If a trail breaks your jeep....this is a formal insult, grounds for retaliation from the jeep gods in the form of a motor swap, bigger lift kit, bigger tires, and a grudge run at it....break out your cameras boys...and, WATCH THIS!!!!" - last words before the demise of my favorite jeep!
post #11 of 16 Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?

post #12 of 16 Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump

post #13 of 16 Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'd ask around on some Mopar boards. I'm not sure what would cause a flex plate to simply break but I'm guessing you need to talk to an experienced auto trans guy.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #14 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Checked on mopar boards earlier and everyone that had this issue never said if they got it resolved or not...

post #15 of 16 Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

wondering how you ever made out with this? Did you have to rebuild the trans or find the problem?

Tags
rebuild transmission , transmission help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in