95 YJ won't crank/turn over - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
natmaken
1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ won't crank/turn over

Hey everyone,

I have a 95 Jeep YJ 4 cyl 5 speed manual, was running errands in it yesterday having no issues, but today go out to start it up and am hearing no engine clicking/cranking. The battery comes on at full power when I put the key in. The radio seems to turn off when I go turn the key, wondering if it is a continuity issue to the starter? From looking around some forums it sounds like it could be the ground or the starter. I tried tapping the starter to free up the solenoid, also filed the battery terminals and connections and reattached. All connections are tight, any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

off the top. Try tapping the battery again with a wrench. at this point that is my suggestion.

Also look at the wire connections for corrosion, check your ground connections battery to frame, a bad ground may let radio work but not the starter.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2016, 10:58 PM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hehehe....sorry to giggle. Im old school......and if you got in mud and or water.....this happens.
Get a rubber hammer......beat your starter MOTOR....near the back of it a few times. firm dead blows....dont try and smash it.
The brushed get stuck now and then.......beat it and they slide down onto the winding. takes 2 min....worth a try right? if it works.....remove and flush and lube starter or get a new one. Im cheap, sop i carry a hammer in jeep.....one or 2 good wacks every 2 weeks.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

No click? So the bendix on the starter doesn't even try to engage? Switch the starter relay with the horn relay. If you still get nothing then a quick check on the starter relay socket will tell you what you need to know. 85 is a constant ground on a manual, pin 86 is a switched feed. Use a meter or test light between the 2 pins in the relay socket and turn the key to start. You should see 12 volts. 30 is a battery feed and always hot so measure between it and the block or battery, you should see 12 volts. Ignore the middle terminal it is not used. If both those are good, you need to replace the starter. Just replace a starter last night in a 96 Cherokee. $50 from Autozone.
Attached Images

post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2016, 01:41 PM
SailerMatt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Additionally, if you do want to replace the starter, auto parts stores will test them for free. You can try that before actually replacing it to make sure you are replacing the correct parts.

Tags
cranking , ignition , starter , starting , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in