95 YJ fuel gauge to sender wiring, and testing - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 14Sport
  • 1 Post By AZWickedSS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
AZWickedSS

95 YJ fuel gauge to sender wiring, and testing

My gauge always reads full so i started reading a bunch of threads here and running tests but I'm stuck now. Disconnected the fuel sender plug, ohms at the sender read 37, sitting just under half a tank which seems correct. Center pin to chassis ground from gauge harness side drops to E which is correct I believe. Ground at fuel sender is good but where does the ground from the gauge plug go to? i think this is the faulty issue. If I try to ground the center pin in the harness to the green wire pin I get nothing which I think I should get the gauge to drop to empty just as before when grounded to the chassis. I am assuming the ground from the gauge to the harness for the sender is bad and my needle is stuck at full. If this the case where does the green wire physically ground at?

Am I missing something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

These may help..
Attached Thumbnails
1995 Fuel Gauge Desc (8W-40-1).jpg   1995 Fuel Gauge (8W-40-8).png   1995 Fuel Gauge (8W-40-9).png   1995 Fuel Gauge Troubleshooting.jpg  
Drednot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
AZWickedSS

Finally tracked down the ground wire after seeing a picture on google images. If your gauge is stuck on full before you do all the troubleshooting taking everything apart, removing the sender etc check the ground up front. It will either be next to the dipstick tube bolted to the engine block on the passenger side or your ebrake bracket (not sure if this is older years or a recall that moved the ground) but I cleaned all the ground cables and attachment points and the gauge is working as it should.
calpbs likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 05:28 AM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWickedSS View Post
Finally tracked down the ground wire after seeing a picture on google images.
It would be good if you could post that picture as the FSM for the 1995 shows the ground by the battery. It would keep someone else finding this thread later through a search from having to go through the same ordeal as you.
Attached Thumbnails
1995 G101 Location.jpg  

post #5 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
AZWickedSS

Pulled the picture and it was actual from a thread here so below is the link.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...ation-1285393/
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 12:35 PM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay great. But I thought you were looking for the ground for the gauge, not the fuel pump. My mistake.

post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
AZWickedSS

My understanding is the ground at the block is both for the fuel pump and dash. I saw the post at the firewall you listed above and that was next to clean up but it worked after I cleaned the contact area on the block down by the dipstick.

Wouldn't the fuel pump and gauge work off the same ground? I know after testing the pins at the harness the pin that was supposed to be ground didn't work out that way so maybe it was the fuel pump ground I was originally after and I just didn't word it right.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 01:56 PM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The gauge has two grounds. The one by the battery and the other runs through the sender so would share the ground with the fuel pump motor.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
AZWickedSS

I might as well really clean the contact points at the battery tray too then but I originally saw the pictures showing the grounds at the dip stick tube as that is where someone else traced their ground to. At least its working now like it should but I better make sure the firewall ground near the battery is good as well as any others I can find. Considering I only cleaned the contact points at the dipstick area and re-installed with luck what does that say about the gauge working now as before it didn't?
post #10 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well the FSM shows the ground connection on the engine. I have read that some guys have found it on the ebrake foot assembly. The ground by the battery is for the other coil in the gauge so if it is working I wouldn't worry about the one near the battery unless you're just looking for something to do.
Attached Thumbnails
1995 Fuel Sender (8W-30-21).png   1995 Fuel Sender Ground ((8W-90-5).png   1995 Ground Locations.jpg  

post #11 of 14 Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
AZWickedSS

Thanks 14Sport for the support with the photos and everything. As it goes with this jeep I am pretty much always finding something to do on it. Its still new to me as I traded for it and I generally tear into everything to try and get a better understanding of certain things going on. At this time I am on the wiring side of things, just re-wired the whole stereo, light bars and rock lights and the fuel gauge became the hot topic during this time. Thanks again!

95 YJ: Tons, 10.5 sterling, D60 front w/warn slugs, narrowed frame, Kings, ARB F/R
post #12 of 14 Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 AM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWickedSS View Post
Thanks 14Sport for the support with the photos and everything. As it goes with this jeep I am pretty much always finding something to do on it. Its still new to me as I traded for it and I generally tear into everything to try and get a better understanding of certain things going on. At this time I am on the wiring side of things, just re-wired the whole stereo, light bars and rock lights and the fuel gauge became the hot topic during this time. Thanks again!
No problem and kudos to you for taking the initiative to clean up the previous owners wiring.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump ground is common. The reason it might not work with the gauge and does work with the fuel pump is a matter of ohms law. The fuel pump can work with a higher voltage drop on the wire as long as it has enough current. The gauge is set up to work with a specific resistance. So the current for the fuel pump is enough for it to operated but the resistance for the gauge is too high. Very unusual.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-08-2016, 09:31 AM
14Sport

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The fuel pump ground is common. The reason it might not work with the gauge and does work with the fuel pump is a matter of ohms law. The fuel pump can work with a higher voltage drop on the wire as long as it has enough current. The gauge is set up to work with a specific resistance. So the current for the fuel pump is enough for it to operated but the resistance for the gauge is too high. Very unusual.
Good info. Thanks, Que!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in