• 1 Post By Boojo35
  • 1 Post By mudbug85603

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
'95 Clutch questions?

First off, glad to see I can't find a lot of clutch questions on here...I hope that's a good sign???

I've searched and found where some folks have said the LUK clutches have slipped in quality, that alignment is a problem?

If so, for my 2.5 '95 what would everyone recommend?

I have a clutch assembly, flywheel, and Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Assembly all waiting in the "cart" at RockAuto, all parts being LUK.

I figure if I'm going to split this thing, I don't want to split it again for a while, and my "4 angry squirrels" don't need a lot more clutch.

Give me your thoughts guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have consistently used the LUK 'Gold' clutch kits (Quadratec/RockAuto) and the AMS clutch/slave combo with great results. However, I did find that the 'No-Bleed' unit needed to be bled (after doing the install).

Which ever parts you order, if you do use the combo master/slave it won't hurt to hang it from a ladder by the master cylinder and 'burp' it first, just because.
littletoes likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
I have consistently used the LUK 'Gold' clutch kits (Quadratec/RockAuto) and the AMS clutch/slave combo with great results. However, I did find that the 'No-Bleed' unit needed to be bled (after doing the install).

Which ever parts you order, if you do use the combo master/slave it won't hurt to hang it from a ladder by the master cylinder and 'burp' it first, just because.

Thanks guthans!

Not sure if this is the "Gold"? The only one I've seen available is the 01040.

The master/slave combo in place now is simple to bleed, it has a bleeder screw on top of the slave.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Kinda off the path, kinda not. One way to bleed really stubborn clutch systems sometime is I have a cap that fits the master cylinder fluid fill opening and seals to it and use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system.

I learned this by working on a Saturn a few years ago. The brake master cylinder in that car was a gravity feed to the clutch master reservoir. There was no bleeder screw downstream. I had to open the system for the clutch work. The FSM said to use special tool blah blah blah and pull a vacuum through the brake master reservoir fill cap. It worked like a charm. What I did not think about though is that the vacuum could maybe somehow the caliper pistons rear ward in their bores so when I first back out of my bay I may or may not be able to stop....... let's just say I pooped myself. LOL.
littletoes likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a pressure bleeder.

I did think about making a special top for the clutch mc and hit it with a little pressure, then bleeding it.

I've reverse bled breaks with it (that's my favorite way), since I can push fluid up, and the air too, or I can put the "special" top on the brake mc and push the fluid down.

A big question I would ask anyone that has any background in clutch mc's, is how do you know if it's the clutch, or the hydraulic system?
My rig is hard to get "In" gear, but once it's in, it goes like crazy.
It doesn't feel like a slipping clutch at all...but I guess it doesn't matter, if I'm going to split it in half to change one thing, might as well change it all. I hate to spend the money, but I would hate to have to do it again in 6 months if I changed the wrong part.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I did learn something...

The "listed" bolts that hold the flywheel are NOT 7/16"x20x.900"....they ARE 7/16"X24X1.110" (thread length)

Hard finding correct information on this thing! Starting with the VIN number....
post #7 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 03:42 AM
mudbug85603

LuK clutch kit is what I use, shop around Rock Auto has gotten ridiculous on their shipping prices
littletoes likes this.

'98 TJ 5sp Super 35 D30 w/Aussie 5.13 on 33's
'94 YJ 5sp 4.88 Super 35/HP30 w/Aussie on 33's
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
littletoes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
LuK clutch kit is what I use, shop around Rock Auto has gotten ridiculous on their shipping prices

Installed the new clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing etc. yesterday morning.
Ordered from RockAuto, all Luk.
Hope to get the clutch/master cylinder done today...the only thing that will be holding me up is the RUST on the cross member/skid-plate tranny support....ugh I can't believe the rust on this thing!

This little helper of mine never gets tired of helping Daddy in the shop.
She ran the jack, as I lined everything up....I may not be the most patient person around at times, but we made a good team yesterday!
Attached Thumbnails
Ashlynn_Jeep_8.2.2019.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in