93 YJ towing limits - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
VtwinVintage
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 YJ towing limits

Hi, I have a 2.5L 1993 YJ, a 2.5 suspension lift kit and 33" tires

I want to tow a trailer over 300 miles along the California coast, avoiding steep roads as much as possible
(As a reference I can do 85mph downhill, cruising at 70/75, no more than 50-55mph uphill with the setup I have, 40mph if it is very steep)

I figured it would not be wise to put more than 2000lbs despite I have a hitch rated for 3500lbs

The trailer empty weight is 900lbs, inside it there would be about 1100lbs of motorcycles parts

I still have a few more items I'd like to carry ( 500lbs maybe?)

If I put as much load as possible directly on the jeep and less on the trailer would that help a lot or is the whole idea just very stupid ?

On a regular basis I would never put as much stress on the little jeep but it's a one time trip and the road doesn't look that bad.
Any recommendations or tips on what to watch out for ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 11:17 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your main problem is not towing, but stopping. Any chance you can borrow or rent a bigger tow vehicle. I would at least try doing a test tow locally with about the same weight and see how it handles

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its not about what your hitch can handle its more about brakes and suspension. YOur engine will get anything going it might be slowly but itll go there are 2 major problems first can your brakes handle it. I think you would be pushing your brakes to thier limits and possibly past second is your suspension. I believe YJ's stocl have a 2,000 capacity. SO no more than 200 pounds tongue weight. I think even at 200 it will have your rear end squatting pretty bad which takes weight off the front so sketchy steering. Then there is length of the trailer. Our jeeps are short wheelbase so you want a short trailer a trailer longer than the wheelbase will start steering this jeep so youll be fighting it.

In short I think that set up would be pretty much at the limits of a stock YJ with it being lifted that usually lessens towing.

post #4 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 02:04 PM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As already mentioned... Its usually the stopping...

But 2 options.... More expensive option 1. Electric brakes on trailer and electric brake controller.... OR less expensive (kits about $450-500) option 2. hydraulic/surge brakes (usually found on boat trailers) no controller needed.

I'm installing surge brakes on my boat trailer so I can use the jeep and not the truck to tow it...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #5 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 03:48 PM
stephencbrinson
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 92, 2.5L, 5speed, 2.5in lift, stock rims and tires.

For what it is worth I regularly town an 5x10 utility trailer with all of my tools AMD materials. I frequently load 1500 pounds of lumber on the trailer. The jeep tows it fine but the more weight I add the scarier the stopping becomes.

I would appreciate trailer brakes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

1992 YJ, 2.5L, AX5, D30, D35, 2.5 RE lift
Daniel 3:18
Ephesians 2:1-12
post #6 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 07:14 PM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencbrinson View Post
I have a 92, 2.5L, 5speed, 2.5in lift, stock rims and tires.

For what it is worth I regularly town an 5x10 utility trailer with all of my tools AMD materials. I frequently load 1500 pounds of lumber on the trailer. The jeep tows it fine but the more weight I add the scarier the stopping becomes.

I would appreciate trailer brakes.

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-...-actuator.aspx

SOLD

style intake
post #7 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 07:41 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
in CA a trailer weighing over 1500# is required to have brakes. Oddly, there is no requirement for brakes on a flat towed vehicle but there is a specification for how much distance you need to stop

Quote:
"California law does not require brakes on towed motor vehicles provided the combination of vehicles meet the stopping requirements of Section 26454 of the Vehicle Code (VC). Section 26454 VC states in part, the service brakes of every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle or combination of vehicles under all conditions of loading on any grade on which it is operated. Provided your motorhome is assigned a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more, your combination would be required to come to a complete stop within 50 feet from an initial speed of 20 miles per hour. Additionally, an emergency device is not required. "

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #8 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 08:00 PM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
in CA a trailer weighing over 1500# is required to have brakes. Oddly, there is no requirement for brakes on a flat towed vehicle but there is a specification for how much distance you need to stop
Wow thats pretty low wt rating... Figures its Cali. Not till you get 3000# do you need trailer brakes in NH. A lot of utility trailers sell at 2999# rating so they are cheaper and no brakes

SOLD

style intake
post #9 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All YJ's have a 2000lb tow rating as per the factory, regardless of engine, same as my mother's 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, much to my surprise. I don't exceed 80% just in case I miscalculated.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #10 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
VtwinVintage
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, when they provide the maximum rating they are already subtracting a fraction of the real number for safety reasons.

"I have a 92, 2.5L, 5speed, 2.5in lift, stock rims and tires.

For what it is worth I regularly town an 5x10 utility trailer with all of my tools AMD materials. I frequently load 1500 pounds of lumber on the trailer. The jeep tows it fine but the more weight I add the scarier the stopping becomes. "

Thanks, that's pretty much what I want to do, U-Haul trailers are 5"x8" and I'm almost sure they come with brakes

I know I'm playing a little bit with the devil but if I chose a path with little to no steep downhills, drive @45mph and let at least 2x the braking distance I should make it, right ?

I've never had that much load to carry
post #11 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 PM
stephencbrinson
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have hills.bitnthere are several bridges. I slow down to 45ish uphill with the trailer. Give extra stopping distance, especially if the roads are wet

post #12 of 22 Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVintage View Post
Well, when they provide the maximum rating they are already subtracting a fraction of the real number for safety reasons.

For what it is worth I regularly town an 5x10 utility trailer with all of my tools AMD materials. I frequently load 1500 pounds of lumber on the trailer. The jeep tows it fine but the more weight I add the scarier the stopping becomes. "

Thanks, that's pretty much what I want to do, U-Haul trailers are 5"x8" and I'm almost sure they come with brakes

I know I'm playing a little bit with the devil but if I chose a path with little to no steep downhills, drive @45mph and let at least 2x the braking distance I should make it, right ?

Sound like you have already made up your mind and just want someone to agree with you to feel better about it. Good luck
Siva283 likes this.

post #13 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 05:39 AM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVintage View Post

Until somebody cuts you off, or the ladder on the pickup truck 2 cars ahead flies off, or a deer shoots across the road, or...

Yeah, stopping is pretty important.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

post #14 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 AM
stephencbrinson
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks....I've thought about adding brakes to my trailer. It is on the agenda.

post #15 of 22 Old 07-25-2019, 05:46 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why did you come ask the question if you didnt want the advice. Also with a trailer that heavy with the 2.5 stock gears and 33's I dont think your gonna see 45mph without a 2 miles running start. For your sack I hope to emergency situation arises or you get cut off and if that does happen I hope the other guy survives because your gonna plow into him/her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in