93 YJ hazard button/knob is missing help - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By EABiker
  • 1 Post By Trucker2565

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Trucker2565

93 YJ hazard button/knob is missing help

New to the forum. I have a 93 YJ and the hazard knob/button is missing so I cant use hazards. Tore steering colum apart and it looks like turn signal switch is ok. What does the Part look like and maybe where I can find one?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2020, 04:43 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Welcome to the forum!!

If you care a lot quadraltec has these.

If you just want it to work wire it to a rocker on the dash somewhere

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #3 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 05:17 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what it looks like more or less.

Mines a little more coolio with the lettering in RED.
Attached Images

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was gone also. Simply went to the hardware store and bought a thumbscrew with the correct thread. Like a 10x24 or something along that line.

Just grabbed several sizes and mentioned to the sales guy I was checking for fit out in the parking lot.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I grabbed a small wood screw and rammed it in there. Mine was broken off below the outside of the steering column. It's a little more work to pull it out but it's not like this is a normal use item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 08:51 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

Same type button CJ's have. I found the button in the help section of NAPA and JB welded the screw into it. The one of the shelf was chrome so I painted it black and cooled it up by painting the middle red...really I did it so that I could find the button again.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Trucker2565

Well I guess my turn signal switch in steering column is broke where it screws in so either I replace the switch which looks to be pretty tricky with tilt column or I figure another way to get hazards. Dont use them much but for jeep things where alot of jeeps run hazards in groups etc. Parades etc.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 11:29 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Aren't these GM steering columns? You can get one from an old Chevy.
timatoe and Awesome like this.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Do you need this to pass some inspection? Or just because you want it?

Like others have said, you can replace the entire column, but IMO your best bet is to find a mid 90s Cherokee in the junk yard and open up the tilt column there, grab your switch and hazard knob, and transfer the parts to yours. It's a bit of work, but not all too difficult with a loaner steering wheel puller from an auto parts store and a decent set of hand tools.

The other benefit is that you get to explore and make any mistakes on the junk yard column before you open up yours.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Trucker2565

The Column is ok just trying to fish the wires from a new turn signal switch down the column looks tricky. The piece that the button screws into is missing on mine currently.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Trucker2565

Just an end to the story I changed the turn signal switch in my column . ( not an easy job to route wires down column but i have a tool that pull wires out of plastic connector then fish wires with coat hanger down column. Not a job for the meek. Real pain in the butt) but it's fixed and I now have hazards for when I need them. Thank you for all the answers.
Luuca likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-04-2020, 12:58 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Whole new switch assembly can be had from $15 to $30 on Rock Auto. Replacement is nowhere near tricky as long as you have the spring compressor tool, which you can rent free or buy for about $14. As for the actual knob, I grabbed one at pick and pull when I was there for something else, think I pulled it from a Chevy truck, maybe paid $1.

If you want to shoot me a PM with your email address I'll send you a PDF on tearing down the column.

**EDIT** Guess you got it, I should've read the whole thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in