93 2.5L Starter issue.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
yjrush

1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 2.5L Starter issue..

I went out a couple of days ago and backed my Jeep out of the garage to the driveway. Started to leave couple hours later and it woudlnt kick over, the starter just spun without kicking over the flywheel. I couldnt get it going so I pushed it back in the garage. I pulled it out today to work on it. Took out the starter and took it up to auto store, they tested it and everything looked fine, gears kicked out and everything. I took it to another auto store and they said tested ok also, this time they suggested that I put some shims in, which I noticed on another board earlier for a 2.5l YJ when I was trying to find out what size e-torx socket I needed for the bolts. Last guy also asked how my flywheel gears looked. I didnt look at them so I said I didnt know.

So I took the old starter home and put it back in when a couple of shims from a starter shim kit that I bought at the auto store. I did notice this time that a few gears looked a bit worn on my fly wheel. I put it all back together with a few shims in and it was starting some and spinning some. I put more shims in and it was terrible sounding when it did kick over so I took the extra out and have 3 shims in now.

I am sure some on here with the same motor have some experience with this, can some please provide suggestions, comments, ideas on what this is, how to fix it, or if my starter actually might be going out and I should just replace it? Thank you in advance...

1993 YJ 2.5L, 3.5 BDS lift kit, 1" BDS Shackles, 1" BL, 33' Trxsus MT, Tabor 9K, 4.88 gears, Dana44 Spooled, chromoly in D30 with Lockrite, more to come...

2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L (Tow Rig)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
yjrush

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention I have a manual 5 speed tranny, also there were no shims when I took it out to begin with.

1993 YJ 2.5L, 3.5 BDS lift kit, 1" BDS Shackles, 1" BL, 33' Trxsus MT, Tabor 9K, 4.88 gears, Dana44 Spooled, chromoly in D30 with Lockrite, more to come...

post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Angelous
1987 YJ Wrangler 

might be your flywheel ring is shot and needs to be replaced.

"There is no hole to deep, or mountain to steep, for the driver of this Jeep!"

87 YJ - 2.5 - TJ Flare Swap - Rubicon's - no track bars -

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
yjrush

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I started up about 6 times today and only happened once this morning when I killed it backing out. Someone mentioned it might be altenator going out, any ideas on this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in