92 YJ Trouble Code 41 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
YjTimmy15

1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 YJ Trouble Code 41

I’m going to need some help identifying the problem for this code. Today my check engine light came on while driving. It threw me a whole bunch of codes at first. One about the oxygen sensor, alternator, a/c and the one for disconnected battery.

Eventually just code 41 for the alternator was present.

My Jeep would not start. I assumed it was a bad battery. Jumped it and it started up. I let it run for a while and shut it off and turned it back on and it wouldn’t crank. Dash lights were dim and the voltmeter was in the red just above the 9 mark.

I tested the battery with a multi meter and it read about 12 with the Jeep off. Jumped it again and tested the battery and it read 14. Turned the Jeep off and turned the headlights on. The headlights didn’t come on at first, and about 10 seconds later they popped on. Like the voltmeter gained voltage.

I took the battery to get tested at autozone for the hell of it. It showed the battery was good and charged at 94%.

Being that I replaced the alternator a year ago, I don’t think it could be that. My wiring appears to be good and I checked the fuses and relays.

What test or procedures should I do next to fix this issue ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Electrical gremlins can be hard to chase down. The first things I always check are the wires and connections. Our YJ's are at least 25 years old now, so the copper breaks down in the wire, rust can cause ground connections to become insulated, etc.
The symptom of throwing a lot of codes as it dies is characteristic of an alternator or voltage regulator going out. I am not sure whether the 92 had the regulator in the alternator or in the ECM.
Last comment: just because the alternator is relatively new does not mean it cannot be bad. My daughter's starter died on a road trip about a year ago, so it was replaced at a national chain garage. I replaced it about 2 months ago because that new starter went bad.
Good luck.

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

I would go get the alternator tested at this point too. Then if it is good you can rule out the battery and alternator and start looking at the wiring for issues. A bad ground wire or connection may be the issue but I would take the alternator and test it before you spend a bunch of time and effort on other stuff or spend money you don't need to spend. When you take the alternator out, check the connectors for it as well and make sure they still look good.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
YjTimmy15

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Update: Finished testing everything thoroughly with my multi meter. You were right regarding the wiring. There was a small bit of corrosion internally on the positive battery wire. Replaced it and everything works normal now. Thank you for the tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in