92 yj ax15 into my 95 yj 4cyl - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

92 yj ax15 into my 95 yj 4cyl

Ok I have a 95yj 4cyl. (AX5 and should be external slave correct?)
I have the Dakota bell housing for external slave
I have the opportunity to buy an ax15 from a 92yj which would be internal slave.

Can I make this work? Can parts from my ax5 be used to convert the 92 ax15 from internal to external slave? What else would I need.

Also, I might as well buy the transfer case from the guy too right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you will want the tcase too.
You also need a bell housing from a 95 dakota to mate the ax15 to the 4 cylinder. You need a front bearing retainer for an ax15 external slave and you need the clutch fork and throw out bearing.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

Thank you for your reply. Are you saying I can use the shift fork and throw out bearing from my ax5?

post #4 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugoa2000 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Are you saying I can use the shift fork and throw out bearing from my ax5?
TO be honest I am not sure if you can. I would think so. I would wait for guys that are more familiar with this swap than I. It was something I was looking into with my old jeep but ended up selling it when I got back surgery. Now I have a 4.0 and ax15. Though its an internal slave but I have sourced parts to swap it to external when the slave cylinder goes

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

Ok thank you very much. At least now I know that it's possible so I'm going to go ahead and purchase the ax15, tcase and rear drive shaft from the guy parting out his yj. I read somewhere that I need the rear driveshaft too from the 6cyl yj to make this work.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok thank you very much. At least now I know that it's possible so I'm going to go ahead and purchase the ax15, tcase and rear drive shaft from the guy parting out his yj. I read somewhere that I need the rear driveshaft too from the 6cyl yj to make this work.
You might have to have a drive shaft made. I am not sure the I6 drive shaft will work. I beleive the tcase output is in a different location. The transmission is an inch or to longer but I think it sits further forward because the I4 is smaller. Before you drop that coin on the sriveshaft you might want to give it a few hours for one of the guys who have actually done this.

I am going on memory from 5 years ago from research I never actually got around to doing it because of the back surgery. I would be willing to bet someone will chime in with definitive answers to what I am not sure about sometime this evening.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #7 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

Also my current transfer case has an SYE. Will I be able to transfer it over to the new transfer case? And transfer the new transfer case parts back onto my current one?
post #8 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also my current transfer case has an SYE. Will I be able to transfer it over to the new transfer case? And transfer the new transfer case parts back onto my current one?
Yes you will. The input that mates up to the transmission is the only thing different. If you can get just that thats all you need.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #9 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...ersion-852641/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...-swap-1446001/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...p-pics-965067/

There so much info in the forum for you to dig through.
Copy and put this search into google:

site:jeepforum.com/forum/f12 ax5 to ax15 conversion

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #10 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

I just read that link plus I read another thread or two as well. I seem to have a pretty good idea now of what I need and what to expect.

A few things now, after reading that link, I'm wondering if I should even swap to an ax15 because people started saying that the ax5 is not as bad as people make it seem. I'm paying 450 for the ax15 and transfer case so still not a bad deal overall right? I probably wouldn't swap trannys until my ax5 blows up anyway (I just hit 150k miles).

Also from that thread and others I have read, I'm wondering if I actually have an ax15 installed already? But I think not since my 5th gear wasn't working, which is common on ax5 trannies. I already fixed the 5th gear with the 2 piece collar. But I'm wondering why my tranny has 4 holes on the bottom for the tranny mount. My current bracket measures like 3" x 10" and only uses 2 bolts to mount but there are another 2 female threaded holes in my tranny that aren't being used. The oil drain bolt of my tranny is on the bottom of the tranny and I believe the ax15 drain bolt is on the side?
post #11 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

Nevermind, I must have an ax5. After looking at a picture I took when I was fixing the 5th gear, it seams that I have 21 splines on the output shaft. I still wonder what those extra female threaded holes are for on the bottom of the tranny though.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The AX5 isnt as bad as its made out to be. But its still a weak trans. With 33's I went through an average of 2 a year. That price for trans and transfer case is dirt cheap you should snatch up on that even if you just resell it to make some profit.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #13 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Lugoa2000

I'm definitely getting it this Saturday. I'll be helping the guy drop it from his YJ.

A little more info on my yj:
*4 cyl
*9 inch rear with lockers, not sure what kind but haven't used them yet.
*D30 front
*Chromoly axle shafts front and back, from what the previous owner said. (I haven't confirmed the axle shafts or know how I can confirm it?).
*4.88 gears
*33x12.50r15

Would it be ok to move up to 35s? It crawls like a tank right now, definitely doesn't feel like I'm lacking power. Not concerned about highway speeds since it's a weekend toy to me. I'm running 3 BFG km2's and a KM. The km2's are still in good condition but I'm searching for a good spare tire. I was thinking about just buying 5 Falken MT and selling the BFGs, but I have to decide between 33 and 35 now.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If you are able to get through with the 33s for what you are doing then why upgrade? If the need is there for sure go up but I dont see the point. I ran 33s with my 89. It depends on what you want to put it through.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #15 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Que

I love the rocks. 35's get you 1 inch over 33's. I have never been in a position where 1 inch would have gotten me through.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in