91 Sending Unit - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrisnvegas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
aero112

91 Sending Unit

I have a 1991 Wrangler with a 20 gallon tank. The sending unit hasn't worked for years, and when I went to replace it the new unit was not what I needed. It came with a pump, which was about half the size of the pump in the jeep, and the little stopper on the bottom of the unit that fits in the groove in the bottom of the tank did not line up, with the groove and so wouldn't even install.

I have since looked at every 15 and 20 gallon sending units (The unit hasn't worked for so long we thought it had a 15 gallon tank, so the replacement we bought was a 15, but they are supposed to be interchangeable) I can find on the internet and they all are identical to the replacement. I am the original owner of the jeep so I know the tank is stock. I also know the sending unit has been replaced before, though they were exceedingly hard for my buddy that does a lot of work on it to find (from local places, before we knew what the internet was!) and they never worked for more than about a week. He also has no idea what the difference is.

Finally, while as far as I can tell the unit that didn't fit that had a smaller pump is what is "supposed" to be in it, I have had the pump replaced several times by various mechanics who never got the wrong, smaller pump.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about yours, but some (including mine) were made for export. Here's a decal on mine.

From the research I've done, they have a different pump, tank and skid.
The export has a heavier duty pump for poor quality fuels.
It is a physically bigger pump.

Look here. This seller describes two different YJ systems which are not compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-1995-Je...-/371316730818

And here are 3 different Mopar export fuel tank part numbers.

52018779, 52019226, 52007258

From what I read, the export model was sometimes used for domestic sales (usually near the coasts) when dealers needed more Jeeps.
They would snag them before they went overseas and the dealers that sold often didn't know.
Mine's from Van Nuy's Jeep-Eagle, California.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #3 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
aero112

Huh. Where is the decal at? If it's on the carpet like I think it is, mine got ruined and took out a long time ago. Would you happen to know if there is a way to check the VIN? If the tanks are supposed to have a model number I couldn't see one when I had mine out last.

It sounds like that's probably it, but it's just funny that it says they're mainly on the coasts and here I am in the Midwest. Oh well.

Thanks!

post #4 of 9 Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My decal is on the dash. I found it when I laid the windshield down to install new dash speakers.
It's in the hollow place where the wiper motor is.
And the coast sales wasn't a hard fast rule.
If the assembly line was low on parts, they would substitute the export fuel parts.

Here's a thread discussing it with pictures.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...-unit-1364722/

Look at a place called MTS. They carry fuel pumps, senders, tanks ect.

http://www.mtscompany.com/
Luuca likes this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #5 of 9 Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

All the Jeep YJs were made for export. They were manufactured in Canada! Use Chris link for MTS

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
aero112

Unfortunately, MTS doesn't have a replacement for the export unit.

I appreciate your help figuring out what the problem was, though! That whole export thing is cool to know, just sucks that it happened to us...
Thanks, and may your sending unit have a long life!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero112 View Post

I appreciate your help figuring out what the problem was, though! That whole export thing is cool to know, just sucks that it happened to us...
Post a pic of the sending unit and tank. I need to see it. I never tested a different pump for export. There are alternatives. Are you saying b it didn't line up with the tray on the bottom of the tank? Pics. Please

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero112 View Post

The tray in the bottom of the tank is a sump that helps to keep gas at the pickup. It warps. Most people remove it because it warps and causes issues with the level arm and sock.

The resistance range is different from the 15/20 gallon tank. I've heard of people bending the arm to make it work.

The pump did change as did the size. I thought it changed when they went to modify. We can get you straight.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump was a swap in manufacturers. Your pump is the same as the older TBI and MPFI in the XJ. Seriously the tank is the same. If you have done the mod from 15 to 20 you should be able to pull the fuel baffle that warps. Find the right connector for the pump and install the smaller pump. The volume is the same. The sending unit resistance for fuel level indication is different because of the rating for the system so The range is different from one to the other. The fix for the resistance issue after the swap is to add a resistor to correct the difference:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...gauge-1500358/

Fault codes:

No Start:

Tags
fuel pump , fuel pump assembly , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in