Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

90 YJ carby 4.2

551 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ronbros 
#1 ·
engine stalls when slowing for a stop, other than that runs fine!
:frown2:

#3 ·
its an exchange rebuilt carb, the shop that did work could not get it to idle below 2000revs,! (it was on cold fast idle cam so i took it off fast idle and use the idle speed screw) it came to me that way, after much adjustments and trying to get down to 850/900 rpm it starts and runs great , it drives great ,
but when slowing below 10 mph it stalls , and pump the gas couple times fires up instantly!

#8 · (Edited)
well the plot thickens!
air cleaner off , BRIGHT flashlight ,choke wide open(held with small vise grips), and started the ***** up, two pumps of throttle, starts instantly, idle around 850/900 rpm, look down two screw jets , NO fuel drips from venturis and nice and clean(rebuilt carb), give slight rev ,accellpumps look only fair,not a good stright shot of fuel!, NO fuel drips!
small wire measures 35 thou. slide down holes in jets(maybe already done at rebuld)?

OK that done , take her for slow drive, all is good, till i slow for a stop using light brake pressure idle gets rough, BUT push brake quickly and STALLS instantly, couple pumps restarts, rolling slowly and make a turn stall instantly no braking applied? HMM ?
damn the stupid engineers who figured the emissions for the era 70s/ 80s, fresh out of drug infested college(yeah LSD makes engineers smart),, the rats nest of hoses and valves is completely useless!

#9 ·
back again ,just say i treat this like an old 1950s basic engine , fuel , spark and it should run ok!
if i take all the non essential hose and valves off , what would i be looking at,Texas has no emission tests on vehicles over 25 yrs, collector car status!
also when i unplug the electric plug on carb nothing happens , runs fine!
i never really liked those electronic carbs!
ron

#13 ·
finally got her fixed,, ripped all the emission junk out of her,to start with, its 30 yrs old so Texas no tests!
BUT a brand new Carburator, NOT rebuilt , reman, tell by machine marks, NEW! so owner says cant be that?
but i decided to go into it , big assembly problems, 1st two size idle tubes different?
eye ball fuel level did not look good to me, 1/2 " to low, raised it so float was straight across, plugged air holes every where i could find!
starts and drives better than the past 10 yrs owners says, i gave it a 1958 Jeep tuneup, and all is well,FINALLY!
smoother than babies butt, power very good, thanks guys.
checked booster with a vac gage held 16" for 5 minutes, so figured not that, brakes now perfect!
ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.