4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chrisnvegas
  • 1 Post By timatoe
  • 1 Post By Wabatuckian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
ronbros

90 YJ carby 4.2

engine stalls when slowing for a stop, other than that runs fine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 04:25 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Are we to guess which carb you have?

Okay.

I guess you have a Carter and the idle tubes need a cleaning.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #3 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
ronbros

its an exchange rebuilt carb, the shop that did work could not get it to idle below 2000revs,! (it was on cold fast idle cam so i took it off fast idle and use the idle speed screw) it came to me that way, after much adjustments and trying to get down to 850/900 rpm it starts and runs great , it drives great ,
but when slowing below 10 mph it stalls , and pump the gas couple times fires up instantly!

post #4 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 05:01 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
ronbros

thanks for the info, i will be doing that mod tommorw!
ron
post #6 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
ronbros

thanks for info
ron
post #7 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check for vacuum leaks too.

I like using an unlit propane torch. It's safe and not messy. Safe as long as you aren't smoking while doing it.
Wabatuckian and ronbros like this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #8 of 13 Old 05-30-2020, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
ronbros

well the plot thickens!
air cleaner off , BRIGHT flashlight ,choke wide open(held with small vise grips), and started the ***** up, two pumps of throttle, starts instantly, idle around 850/900 rpm, look down two screw jets , NO fuel drips from venturis and nice and clean(rebuilt carb), give slight rev ,accellpumps look only fair,not a good stright shot of fuel!, NO fuel drips!
small wire measures 35 thou. slide down holes in jets(maybe already done at rebuld)?

OK that done , take her for slow drive, all is good, till i slow for a stop using light brake pressure idle gets rough, BUT push brake quickly and STALLS instantly, couple pumps restarts, rolling slowly and make a turn stall instantly no braking applied? HMM ?
damn the stupid engineers who figured the emissions for the era 70s/ 80s, fresh out of drug infested college(yeah LSD makes engineers smart),, the rats nest of hoses and valves is completely useless!

Last edited by ronbros; 05-30-2020 at 11:09 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
ronbros

back again ,just say i treat this like an old 1950s basic engine , fuel , spark and it should run ok!
if i take all the non essential hose and valves off , what would i be looking at,Texas has no emission tests on vehicles over 25 yrs, collector car status!
also when i unplug the electric plug on carb nothing happens , runs fine!
i never really liked those electronic carbs!
ron
post #10 of 13 Old 05-30-2020, 11:25 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you're getting rid of stuff, google "Nutter Bypass" can't really just start unplugging stuff. I'd check for vacuum leaks around the brake booster too if you're stalling when hitting the brakes.
Wabatuckian likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-30-2020, 03:35 PM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbros View Post
well the plot thickens!
air cleaner off , BRIGHT flashlight ,choke wide open(held with small vise grips), and started the ***** up, two pumps of throttle, starts instantly, idle around 850/900 rpm, look down two screw jets , NO fuel drips from venturis and nice and clean(rebuilt carb), give slight rev ,accellpumps look only fair,not a good stright shot of fuel!, NO fuel drips!
small wire measures 35 thou. slide down holes in jets(maybe already done at rebuld)?

OK that done , take her for slow drive, all is good, till i slow for a stop using light brake pressure idle gets rough, BUT push brake quickly and STALLS instantly, couple pumps restarts, rolling slowly and make a turn stall instantly no braking applied? HMM ?
damn the stupid engineers who figured the emissions for the era 70s/ 80s, fresh out of drug infested college(yeah LSD makes engineers smart),, the rats nest of hoses and valves is completely useless!
This tells me you need to check the vacuum brake booster for leaks while depressing the brake pedal.

Also check the carb to make sure it's tight on the manifold.

Josh
ronbros likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-03-2020, 09:46 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It stalls when you hit the brakes? How about just sitting?
Stall when stopping sounds like an air leak. How is braking performance? Could you open up a massive leak when you step on the brakes because of a defective brake booster?

Just a thought.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
ronbros

finally got her fixed,, ripped all the emission junk out of her,to start with, its 30 yrs old so Texas no tests!
BUT a brand new Carburator, NOT rebuilt , reman, tell by machine marks, NEW! so owner says cant be that?
but i decided to go into it , big assembly problems, 1st two size idle tubes different?
eye ball fuel level did not look good to me, 1/2 " to low, raised it so float was straight across, plugged air holes every where i could find!
starts and drives better than the past 10 yrs owners says, i gave it a 1958 Jeep tuneup, and all is well,FINALLY!
smoother than babies butt, power very good, thanks guys.
checked booster with a vac gage held 16" for 5 minutes, so figured not that, brakes now perfect!
ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in