Is $9,500 too much for a '91 YJ? - JeepForum.com
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
brancaster

Is $9,500 too much for a '91 YJ?

Hey all!

I'm on the hunt for a YJ and honestly haven't had much luck in finding anything near me that wasn't a mechanical nightmare or wasn't a bucket of rust waiting to fall apart.

I just came across a '91 YJ that has been garage kept and seems to be in pretty good condition, but I think it might be overpriced - the seller keeps mentioning how much money he has put into it and I think the price reflects that.

Anyway - here are the specs:

Year: 1991
Engine: Straight 6/4wheel drive,
Miles: ~250k
Additions/Notes: Rebuilt motor at 225k. CJ-Front Clip, Corbia seats, Rhino-lined interior, Soft top & soft doors, Bikini top, YJ foot pegs, lift kit 3Ē, has some surface rust, but nothing bad.
NEW Additions: brakes, rotors, visors, seat belts, radiator, battery, clutch, stereo w/4 speakers, roll bar covers

Mechanically it looks and sounds pretty good, though I'm not sure if I should be on the lookout for anything else in particular since this machine has over 250k miles on it.

What do you guys think? Overpriced? Mechanically/Technically, what should I look out for in terms of hidden problems?

I've attached some photos from the seller so you can get a visual.

Thanks for all the help!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good looking Jeep, but yes it is way over priced.
No bank it going to loan that much money on a 91 YJ.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yay for cosmetics!

Where in the advertisement did he mention a rear axle swap to a stronger axle?

I often find it funny when someone mentions "foot pegs" in the advertisement as a selling point.

Unless he cuts that price down 1/3rd of listed price.... I wouldn't even message him. And even then, I'd be looking to barter him down to 4,500 max. THAT'S ONLY IF I go see it, drive it...and she's stronger than i expected and sounds fantastic without a drip of fluid anywhere.

Seems like .most the money the owner put into it is for form. Probably drove it Saturdays around town, I dont see much room for any articulation there (which is a positive technically for whoever buys it as it indicates it wasn't abused). But factoring form costs into the overall price is weak IMHO.

I suppose it depends on what you're interested in it for? Will this be a project for you with subtle, functional upgrades? Or also just a vehicle to putter around town? If so, it seems already built for your needs.... and available for an exacerbated price. I'd pay half that amount.

My .02

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
brancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Good looking Jeep, but yes it is way over priced.
No bank it going to loan that much money on a 91 YJ.
Don't need a loan fortunately, but I'm not looking to get gouged to get into a good lookin' YJ.

Thanks for the feedback! What do you think a fair price would be?
post #5 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
brancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Yay for cosmetics!

Where in the advertisement did he mention a rear axle swap to a stronger axle?

I often find it funny when someone mentions "foot pegs" in the advertisement as a selling point.

Unless he cuts that price down 1/3rd of listed price.... I wouldn't even message him. And even then, I'd be looking to barter him down to 4,500 max. THAT'S ONLY IF I go see it, drive it...and she's stronger than i expected and sounds fantastic without a drip of fluid anywhere.

Seems like .most the money the owner put into it is for form. Probably drove it Saturdays around town, I dont see much room for any articulation there (which is a positive technically for whoever buys it as it indicates it wasn't abused). But factoring form costs into the overall price is weak IMHO.

I suppose it depends on what you're interested in it for? Will this be a project for you with subtle, functional upgrades? Or also just a vehicle to putter around town? If so, it seems already built for your needs.... and available for an exacerbated price. I'd pay half that amount.

My .02
Hey thanks for the feedback!

He didn't mention anywhere in the ad that he did a rear axle swap - should I pass based solely on that?

I'm looking to turn this into my daily driver - my commute is about 10 miles max each day, so it isn't a rough daily slog. I do like what the guy has done with the thing, but I agree I'm not really exciting about paying for his stylistic choices.

He told me he's flexible on price, but keeps on trailing that sentence with "...but I've put over 10k into her so...". I'll see how low he can go.
post #6 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt pay that much. When you sink money into a YJ that doesnt really increase the value. Lift tires all that you will eat when/if you sell it. Unless that jeep gives you a reach around everytime you drive it I wouldnt go more than $4,000 I would be shooting for $3,000-3,500.

That guy seems to think that think is made out of gold
NHfireLJ likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 AM
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is that even a YJ??

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
post #8 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Guys, guys, GUYS!! wait up on the $4500 max crap

The value of the vehicle is going to vary greatly by the location of said vehicle. Where is the OP located? In So Cal that's about $2K higher than I think that Jeep would actually sell for. $2k higher is pretty typical for a starting price on Craigslist or similar. If the OP is in my area, that jeep, even with the cool factor of the CJ Grill would sell for about $7500.

OP: If the CJ swap was done by the seller, take a look at the radiator and related items as I am pretty sure @DirtKar had some minor fitment issues to contend with. He may chime in as to exactly what the issues could be if it was done poorly.

Clearly the Jeep is not a rolling dirtclod that's been hacked up. That said, it is stock in terms of axles, drivetrain, etc. Rebuilding the engine at 225K miles is all well and good, but remember that Dana35 has 250K mile son it..

I believe the seller feels the CJ grill swap and $1500 worth of Maaco paint ad body add $3000.00 to the Jeep. If it's a rust free Jeep from a known rust free state like CA, AZ, NV, and the title is clear and no issues, I'd feel the Jeep is worth every bit of $7,500.00

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #9 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
Is that even a YJ??
Yes YJ's are 86-95. It has a CJ front clip on it though.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #10 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not that I would pay that amount for it but clean rust free YJs are getting fewer and farther between. If the motor was completely rebuild like he says 25k miles ago, that adds some value as well. I'd say it is in the $5-7k range.

I've seen absolute **** boxes sell for the prices you guys are throwing out.
Luuca likes this.

post #11 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Not that I would pay that amount for it but clean rust free YJs are getting fewer and farther between. If the motor was completely rebuild like he says 25k miles ago, that adds some value as well. I'd say it is in the $5-7k range.

I've seen absolute **** boxes sell for the prices you guys are throwing out.
We've sold Cherokees for $12,500.00. It's all relative.
Randonexplosion and DirtKar like this.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #12 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Book value goes out the window with something that has been lovingly modified like that. Yes it is overpriced, but if you like all of those things that have been done to it, it might be worth it to you. As in, panty-dropping head-over-heels freaking in love with it. All that matters is if it is worth it to you.

Wouldn't be to me, in fact, I would pay less for something that has been over-worked like that, in favor of anything rust free and stock.

Lucca's advice is good. If you like it, keep in touch with the guy, keep the negotiations open, and see what happens with that price. Of course, he might get his ask if the right guy comes along.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #13 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
brancaster

Quote:
Guys, guys, GUYS!! wait up on the $4500 max crap

The value of the vehicle is going to vary greatly by the location of said vehicle. Where is the OP located? In So Cal that's about $2K higher than I think that Jeep would actually sell for. $2k higher is pretty typical for a starting price on Craigslist or similar. If the OP is in my area, that jeep, even with the cool factor of the CJ Grill would sell for about $7500.

OP: If the CJ swap was done by the seller, take a look at the radiator and related items as I am pretty sure @DirtKar had some minor fitment issues to contend with. He may chime in as to exactly what the issues could be if it was done poorly.

Clearly the Jeep is not a rolling dirtclod that's been hacked up. That said, it is stock in terms of axles, drivetrain, etc. Rebuilding the engine at 225K miles is all well and good, but remember that Dana35 has 250K mile son it..

I believe the seller feels the CJ grill swap and $1500 worth of Maaco paint ad body add $3000.00 to the Jeep. If it's a rust free Jeep from a known rust free state like CA, AZ, NV, and the title is clear and no issues, I'd feel the Jeep is worth every bit of $7,500.00
I live in South Florida - rains a lot, but most vehicles around here are rust free.

Thanks for the tip on checking the CJ Swap. I'll look into that and if DirtKar can give me some tips too, that would be great!

Yeah - the Dana35 having the original miles on it concerns me. But we'll see!
post #14 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
brancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Book value goes out the window with something that has been lovingly modified like that. Yes it is overpriced, but if you like all of those things that have been done to it, it might be worth it to you. As in, panty-dropping head-over-heels freaking in love with it. All that matters is if it is worth it to you.

Wouldn't be to me, in fact, I would pay less for something that has been over-worked like that, in favor of anything rust free and stock.

Lucca's advice is good. If you like it, keep in touch with the guy, keep the negotiations open, and see what happens with that price. Of course, he might get his ask if the right guy comes along.
Yeah - very true. There's no way I can take the book value to him and say LOOK because it doesn't mean anything anymore.

We'll see how she feels when I go take a look at her. If she's completely rust free and has no leaks I'll consider it if he'll come down on the price by a couple of grand.

The only thing that concerns me, as mentioned before, is the Dana35 and the tranny still having the original 250k miles on them.
post #15 of 61 Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry too much about the D35. You're either going to swap it, or you're not. If you want an 8.8, just do that, or at worst you find another D35 if or when needed, and they are dirt cheap. And AX15 are easy to work on too.

That's if you're handy and want to work on your Jeep yourself. Which brings up an important point - if you don't/can't/won't work on your own YJ, it would be a mistake to buy into a modified rig. Doing your own work is mandatory IMO.

Bill
Jeepers drive high!
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in