89 Transmission support skid plate. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Opihi59

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
tridaddy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 Transmission support skid plate.

Is there a proper install order for the skid plate?

The reason I ask; I wanted to remove the pucks which lowered my skid plate to see how much of an angle was on my rear driveshaft. I need to install a SYE.
When I went to put the 6 pucks back in, it seems the drivetrain has shifted. If the pucks are not there, it looks like the six nubs on the frame align with the six recesses on the skid plate to keep everything in alignment.

Should I loosen up the transmission mounts or even remove them. Raise the transmission and transfer case, install the skid plate, then bolt the transmission mounts back up?

Thanks

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On the YJ, there are conical bolts which align the dimples in the skid plate to the captured bolts inside the frame rails. These conical bolts have likely been discarded. They do align the skid, and hence the driveline. Some T case drop kits include a conical "washer" but most do not, especially in the individual puck variety. You can find replacement bolts likely from an XJ in a junk yard since YJs in junk yards are very rare. Others have told me that you can purchase conical washers from places online, but I have never been able to find them.
Once your skid is lined up by the conical head bolts, then the driveline aligns properly.
lclark2074 and sptrmike like this.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Do you know if there is also a motor mount lift? That and a transfer case drop are a common combination to "fix" the driveline angle.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 AM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you are going to have to take the nuts off of the transmission mount, or at least loosen them.
When I take a trans cross member/ skid off. I take the transmission mount nuts off, and the stabilizer off.
Jack the Jeep up some using the cross member, put a jack stand under the transmission. Lower it down.
Leave the jack under the cross member to support it, then take the bolts out that is holding it on the frame.
Do the opposite to put it back on.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in