89 Islander Time Capsule - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 11-27-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Im sad to say my 89 4.2L wrangler has been sitting in storage for the past 15 years. The good news is she'll be back on the road soon. She only has 84k miles and just needs a litte tlc.

After i get her up and running, i need to change out the tires, which creates other options. First, she only has a 2.5 pro comp lift. She has 33x12.5R15s now on American Racing AR136s. The tires do rub the rear flares at times.

Should i switch out the entire lift? Maybe a 4in RC? Should I just get lift shackle? Id like to stay away from a body lift.

The next thing is if i upgrade the suspension, should i stick with 33s or go up to 35s or will i run into space issues?

Thanks for the reading my post. I hope to keep a log of the progress on getting my baby back on the trail.

Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1574087087501_1574912537661.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-27-2019, 09:29 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good lord keep that thing as stock as you can. You have a beautiful specimen of a YJ Wrangler. It will only get more valuable with age. What you have is hard to find. If you truly need to mod your YJ some of the things you need to consider is if you lift it you need to think about driveshaft angles. A lift also changes the track bar and sway bar geometry. Bigger tires demands different axle ratio's than what you have in it's stock configuration. 35 in tires are not good with Dana 35 rear axles unless you just want to run to get groceries. Your thread could have much more info. What do you plan to do with your jeep? How are you going to wheel it? You have a nice YJ.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-28-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizekrakr View Post
Good lord keep that thing as stock as you can. You have a beautiful specimen of a YJ Wrangler. It will only get more valuable with age. What you have is hard to find. If you truly need to mod your YJ some of the things you need to consider is if you lift it you need to think about driveshaft angles. A lift also changes the track bar and sway bar geometry. Bigger tires demands different axle ratio's than what you have in it's stock configuration. 35 in tires are not good with Dana 35 rear axles unless you just want to run to get groceries. Your thread could have much more info. What do you plan to do with your jeep? How are you going to wheel it? You have a nice YJ.
Thanks for the reply. Can you see the photo?She is close to stock, but already has a 2.5in lift, 33s, a drop pitman arm and a lot of chrome.

Shes going to be a weekend driver to the beach and wont see any offroading.

post #4 of 39 Old 11-28-2019, 08:59 AM
JarheadAl

That is a good looking Jeep. Are the tire 15+ years old? If so, they probably need replacing. If all you want to do is stop.the occasional rubbing, add a 1" body lift. Assuming, you actually meant no off-roading.

Also, have you changed all the fluids, gotten rid of any old gas, changed filters, etc.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-28-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadAl View Post
That is a good looking Jeep. Are the tire 15+ years old? If so, they probably need replacing. If all you want to do is stop.the occasional rubbing, add a 1" body lift. Assuming, you actually meant no off-roading.

Also, have you changed all the fluids, gotten rid of any old gas, changed filters, etc.
Tires are probably 20 years old. Definitely getting changed out, but tire size is going to dictate lift/wheels. I'm not a fan of body lifts. Since my shocks are old too, i dont think a new lift kit is a bad option.

Everything is being drained, checked and replaced. I had pulled the fuel tank down about 5 years ago. It was bone dry and in good shape. Also have a brand new motorcraft 2100 carb that i need to install.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-28-2019, 02:50 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would go a one inch body lift over shackles or ANYTHING made by RC. It keeps the suspension geometry more inline and and drive line angles are more desirable also.

That is a really nice Jeep. I would be more prone to keeping it more like it is.

35" tires are a lot of added weight and not good for axles or braking characteristics.

New 33" tires and maybe a 1" body lift for me. Even better. Some 2.5" OME springs and re-evaluate the height of it.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #7 of 39 Old 11-28-2019, 05:15 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I would go a one inch body lift over shackles or ANYTHING made by RC. It keeps the suspension geometry more inline and and drive line angles are more desirable also.

That is a really nice Jeep. I would be more prone to keeping it more like it is.

35" tires are a lot of added weight and not good for axles or braking characteristics.

New 33" tires and maybe a 1" body lift for me. Even better. Some 2.5" OME springs and re-evaluate the height of it.
This... NIce jeep. As mentioned fluid change thruout

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #8 of 39 Old 11-28-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, the more i think about it, sticking with 33s is probably best. Since i already have a 2.5 lift, will the OME's actually add anything? Would i need longer shocks?

Last edited by Captainjz16; 11-28-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-29-2019, 05:58 AM
JarheadAl

Changing to OME 2.5 springs will only add height if your old springs are sagging. However, the are reportedly the best riding springs available.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Went thru my file of old receipts and found some more info on the suspension that was installed in 1996, prior to my purchase in 1999.

Shackles- Warrior Products
Lift- 2.5 pro comp
Drop pitman arm
Transfer case drop
Steering stabilizer

Waiting to get her back from my engine guy to figure out the specs.
post #11 of 39 Old 11-29-2019, 07:20 PM
JarheadAl

Have you considered going "down" to 32" tires? If it rides good then you are only buying tires, which you are already going to buy?
post #12 of 39 Old 11-30-2019, 06:50 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjz16 View Post
Went thru my file of old receipts and found some more info on the suspension that was installed in 1996, prior to my purchase in 1999.

Shackles- Warrior Products
Lift- 2.5 pro comp
Drop pitman arm
Transfer case drop
Steering stabilizer

Waiting to get her back from my engine guy to figure out the specs.
So a 1” body lift is barely noticeable but it offers a little tire clearance and keeps debris from accumulating between floors and frame. I wouldn’t ever go taller than an inch but I have come to appreciate the 1” body mounts.

I’d lose the tcase drop and install SYE and new drive shaft... at 2-1/2” lift, though, an SYE may not be necessary and all you really need is to lengthen your existing driveshaft.

33s in 15” wheels look right on a jeep. And there’s a lot more 33” options than 32s

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 39 Old 11-30-2019, 03:30 PM
JarheadAl

Absolutely agree more choices in 33s. Even two widths, 12.5" and 10.5". I'd go with the BL and new 33s
post #14 of 39 Old 11-30-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Can you explain why you'd recommend this? Im not a suspension guy.

"I’d lose the tcase drop and install SYE and new drive shaft... at 2-1/2” lift, though, an SYE may not be necessary and all you really need is to lengthen your existing driveshaft."
post #15 of 39 Old 11-30-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Captainjz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadAl View Post
Absolutely agree more choices in 33s. Even two widths, 12.5" and 10.5". I'd go with the BL and new 33s
Is there a 1in body lif you'd recommend?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in