87 body harness to 91 body harness - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
lthays
1987 YJ Wrangler 

87 body harness to 91 body harness

Does anyone know what the body harness connector on a 91 yj is called, so I can buy a new housing or at least pins? This is the last part of my wiring swap to convert my 87 to a 91, but the older 87 body harness connector doesn’t fit the 91 dash harness and the 91 body harness I have was cut off about half way back.

I could also use a pin out diagram for both the 87 and 91 plug if any one has them. I cant find it in my manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
lthays
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I put this together from my 87-90 FSM I'll have to check the actual wires when i get home tonight.
Attached Images

post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 09:26 AM
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

you could look up the wiring diagram for the mopar efi upgrade. that will give you the info youre looking for. I too have an 87 that has the efi which makes everything under the hood a 91 including the vss.

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"

post #4 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Where I find it in the FSM for 1991 it is exactly what you called it. The body harness connector. There is no single diagram that I can find that shows its wire colors and pin outs though. A lot of other connectors have this info but this one seems to not be in the manual..... In one place.. Many of the individual schematics show the connector and pinouts but it sprawls over several pages and it one circuit at a time. Somewhere, somehow you can download the PDF of the 91 manual. IMO the schematics of these years are terrible.

Mr. B is a guy on the forum that has manuals available to download. It is probably where I got mine from. I cannot copy and paste from my PDF manual or I would have posted all the pages that I felt covered what you are looking for.

You may not find, or probably will not find the correct connector and pins but if you get both diagrams or pinouts and test your circuits carefully you can make your own high quality connections with stuff like this from the link I posted. This is the first one I grabbed. There are lots available on the net.

https://www.weatherpack.com/

Hope this helps. Sure, you may have to use two different six pin connectors or whatever to make up for one but in the end it makes a nice weather tight seal.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-24-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
lthays
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don’t have a 91 FSM, I’ll see if I can find Mr.B and see if he can send it to me somehow. I had to look at all the separate diagrams in my 87-90 fsm to figure out what each pin was.

I figured that finding that connector way probably a long shot. I also thought about using some some water proof butt connectors to spliced my cut 91 harness and the back half of the 87 harness to get so I can use that connector.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2020, 04:44 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I’d use a junkyard myself, or buy waterproof multi connector(s) from amazon.

91 is a little wonky: when I made my ‘91 2.5 harness into a 4.0 harness some wire colors weren’t even close to available diagrams. In the end I figured it out. You will too. The colors might not match up but the counts and position VS function were consistent thank God.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post

91 is a little wonky: when I made my ‘91 2.5 harness into a 4.0 harness some wire colors weren’t even close to available diagrams. In the end I figured it out. You will too. The colors might not match up but the counts and position VS function were consistent thank God.
Some wire colors actually change with age. Fading, grunge, discoloration, etc. That makes things fun. It beats a lot of military vehicles though where all the wire colors are correct 100% of the time because the whole vehicle is wired with white wiring....... those are fun.... JS>.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-27-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
lthays
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post

yeah 91 is a little crazy because it was the change over year and 87 was a little crazy because it was the first year and a lot of CJ stuff got reused on it. i got the manual from Mr.B so well see what i can figure out this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Some wire colors actually change with age. Fading, grunge, discoloration, etc. That makes things fun. It beats a lot of military vehicles though where all the wire colors are correct 100% of the time because the whole vehicle is wired with white wiring....... those are fun.... JS>.
that sounds horrible to trace anything!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in