• 1 Post By Joe Dillard
  • 1 Post By fishadventure
  • 1 Post By wizekrakr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-07-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
curse
1988 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 upside down

What would happen if I installed my 8.8 upside down? As in the brake calipers going forward or the abs gear facing down? Would tires rotate backwards?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, unless you ground a custom cam to be able to turn your engine backwards. At one long ago time in US track racing history it was felt that perhaps having an engine rotate/torque opposite would increase wheel weight on the inside (left handed turns on circle track) so this was done by several teams. This loads the left side due to engine torque effect, rather than unloading it. Upside down rear axle, custom grind a cam that would allow the engine to rotate backwards. It turned out to be a bust, similar as using like 50 feet of fuel line looped back and forth to increase the amount of fuel a vehicle could carry. Limit was to tank size, but not how large or how long the fuel line from the tank to the engine could be. Lotta tricky stuff in early racing history if you read about it. Smokey Yunik did this back in the day.
Currently in some dual engine side by side racing boats, the right side engine rotates opposite to help cancel the torque effect of having twin powerful inboard racing engines torquing the same direction. Not sure if this is a common thing though, but pretty sure this would be a very very long run for a real short slide for you.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Only if you kept it in the rear.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you're talking about the entire axle so that the pinion gear/drive shaft yoke is up high - think carefully as to what you'll be doing to the lubrication system & slinger.

Read this while you're at it: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...d-axle.657729/

I think you'd be.......cursed
NHfireLJ likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-07-2018, 06:59 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59
Currently in some dual engine side by side racing boats, the right side engine rotates opposite to help cancel the torque effect of having twin powerful inboard racing engines torquing the same direction. Not sure if this is a common thing though, but pretty sure this would be a very very long run for a real short slide for you.
From what I've seen, twin screw boats almost always have counter rotating props these days.
NHfireLJ likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
From what I've seen, twin screw boats almost always have counter rotating props these days.
But airplanes don't which turn far larger props and generate way more torque off the centerline.....Figured it was worth mentioning.

Anyway, I think Joe Dillard makes the the point you need to be concerned with....lubrication is a big concern upside down and the diff has a catch pit in the bottom to pick up random metal and debris so it doesn't get chewed up in the gears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
But airplanes don't which turn far larger props and generate way more torque off the centerline.....Figured it was worth mentioning.
I wasn't going to bring that up, but someone else did.

The nicer ones have counter-rotating props, and yes, it's because of the torque.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
curse
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What...no replies like "you didn't do that did you?"

I was running brake lines and saw this plug at the top of axle and nearly crapped my pants. I sat back a minute in disbelief then watched a video and checked some posts and realized it was correct. I remember some people saying they fill the diff using the abs sensor at the top of axle, that's when I realized it was correct. But, why not use the fill plug just below the abs sensor?

Also what do people plug the hole with after removing the abs sensor?

plug at top of axle that I thought was a drain plug....
Attached Images

post #9 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
curse
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And the plug under abs sensor
Attached Images

post #10 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
curse
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got my answer on what to do with the abs sensor. Leave it for now.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

I woudn't do it due to the aforementioned lubrication issues. Gotta be an easy way to do what everybody else does
post #12 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When flipping an axle over, lubrication is the least of ones problem. it would give you one very low forward gear and 4 or 5 reverse gears depending on how many gears in the trans. The fun would begin when you locked in the front axle and one end of the jeep wants to go one way and the other end wants to go the other way.
Awesome likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 04:34 AM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just put the motor in the back. Problem solved.

Of course, if you are building a rear engine rig with flipped axles, I doubt an 8.8 will be part of the discussion.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizekrakr View Post
When flipping an axle over, lubrication is the least of ones problem. it would give you one very low forward gear and 4 or 5 reverse gears depending on how many gears in the trans. The fun would begin when you locked in the front axle and one end of the jeep wants to go one way and the other end wants to go the other way.
That's one reason why I mentioned earlier; "Read this while you're at it...." and supplied a link. Covers both bases that way, plus more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in