8.8 rear seal replacement - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
el guapo
Registered User
 
el guapo's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 340
8.8 rear seal replacement

Need to replace the rear axle shaft seal in my YJ's 8.8. For those who've done this already, anything I need to look for? Only one side is leaking, but if I have to drain the diff and pull C-clips, I might as well do both...

I'm a fan of using OEM parts, so was going to pick up 2 Motorcraft seals. Looks like they are made in China. Should I still go with Motorcraft, or should I get Timken seals? Any advice appreciated...


i know, i know... pull over.
el guapo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2020, 12:12 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,370
Garage
might as well replace the bearings while you are in that far, I think they were only about $20 plus change the pads on the parking brake. 1000x easier with the axles out.

otherwise, easy job

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Boojo35
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beer City
Posts: 2,285
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
might as well replace the bearings while you are in that far, I think they were only about $20 plus change the pads on the parking brake. 1000x easier with the axles out.

otherwise, easy job
I totally agree. Especially on the parking brake shoes. The 8.8 has some of the most difficult parking brake shoes to replace that are known to man.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
Boojo35 is online now  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
el guapo
Registered User
 
el guapo's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 340
Thanks fellas. Got it blown apart tonight and the seal is definately leaking. Amateur mechanic here never done a bearing replacement but it looks straight forward and parts are cheap so will do that.

Whats so bad about the parking brake shoes? I mean, I hate drum brakes as much as the next guy with all the springs but they don't look horrible...

I learned a lesson about using OEM parts with my LS swap so will probably just get all Mastercraft parts even though they are made in China <grrr>

i know, i know... pull over.
el guapo is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 PM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,370
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
Thanks fellas. Got it blown apart tonight and the seal is definately leaking. Amateur mechanic here never done a bearing replacement but it looks straight forward and parts are cheap so will do that.

Whats so bad about the parking brake shoes? I mean, I hate drum brakes as much as the next guy with all the springs but they don't look horrible...

I learned a lesson about using OEM parts with my LS swap so will probably just get all Mastercraft parts even though they are made in China <grrr>
those shoes are easy, if the axle flange is not in the way

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2020, 11:01 PM
Drix
Registered User
 
Drix's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Orting
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
Need to replace the rear axle shaft seal in my YJ's 8.8. For those who've done this already, anything I need to look for? Only one side is leaking, but if I have to drain the diff and pull C-clips, I might as well do both...

I'm a fan of using OEM parts, so was going to pick up 2 Motorcraft seals. Looks like they are made in China. Should I still go with Motorcraft, or should I get Timken seals? Any advice appreciated...

I used Moog, I dont think you can go wrong with timken either. Make sure your axles are smooth and clean where it will rest around the seals otherwise you will be back in there doing it again.

95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20,370
Garage
axles seals run in a lot of dirt so it's not uncommon for the shaft to develop a tiny groove where the seal runs. Sometimes it's possible to put the seal not quite all the way seated to run in a different place but with axle end play that does not usually work very well or for long. When I swapped mine I went to the JY and pulled different shafts from a newer and cleaner explorer. I needed some spares anyway.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbolty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome