• 1 Post By Waternut
  • 2 Post By Waternut
  • 1 Post By dvn4life1972

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2021, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

5.3/4L60E engine braking weirdness

I know this may not be the best place to post this but figured I'd try here first. Normally, I don't even use engine braking when wheeling in my Jeep because I always seem to be between gears of those in front of me so I end up just using normal brakes especially since engine braking with an automatic isn't the most accurate thing anyway.

This last trip to Black Mountain, Kentucky, I was willing to use engine braking a bit more as my brake leg was getting extremely tired and cramped but I started noticing some odd speed variations while engine braking. The most reasonable gear for me while coming down the long downhill roads was low range and 2nd gear and it never shifted out of that gear on it's own. I started off around 2000rpms and the engine braking would slow it to about 1500rpms, then the engine braking would ease off a bit but not completely and the rpms would raise back up to 2000 before engaging a little stronger and brining it back to 1500. This process repeated roughly every 15-20 seconds for the next 15+ minutes at which point we were off the mountain and I wasn't contributing in any way with brakes or throttle.

Any idea what might cause this or is this just normal automatic behavior?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2021, 10:10 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My gut reaction would be that the computer was kicking the torque converter lockup in and out depending on engine rpm. I would think that the 1500 rpm is the designed floor for the lock to prevent stalling.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2021, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
My gut reaction would be that the computer was kicking the torque converter lockup in and out depending on engine rpm. I would think that the 1500 rpm is the designed floor for the lock to prevent stalling.
Hmmm that's a very possible scenario. Maybe one of these days I could hook up my computer and do it on a steep hill and see if it does lock up (well my computer will tell me rpm difference between engine and transmission but close enough). The only odd thing is that the torque converter will not lock up when cruising in 4th gear. I replaced everything involved except the torque converter itself attempting to fix it several years ago and ultimately just gave up figuring I don't drive the Jeep enough to keep troubleshooting.
shaggyjim likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2021, 12:26 PM
cobra30689

Garage
I believe that is considered normal operation. TCI makes a valve body that supports true engine braking.....pricey but may be worth it for your case.

https://www.tciauto.com/4l60e-valve-...e-braking.html
post #5 of 9 Old 11-09-2021, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra30689 View Post
I believe that is considered normal operation. TCI makes a valve body that supports true engine braking.....pricey but may be worth it for your case.

https://www.tciauto.com/4l60e-valve-...e-braking.html
Well I guess if it's normal, that's all that really matters and I'll just deal with the rpms going up and down the 1 or 2 times a year when I need to use engine braking. It may be less obvious at speed and/or high rpms so the average person will never notice.

I actually prefer to just use brakes but I have small feet so I have to hold my leg in the air when braking. My brakes are so strong and the pedal is so light at this point that I can't just lean on the pedal and give my quad a rest. That said, if that valve body was under $10, I'd still rather do pretty much anything before dropping the valve body on the transmission again. I've got some serious PTSD after doing it about 10-15 times but I appreciate the idea.
shaggyjim and cobra30689 like this.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2021, 10:09 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've not experienced that with my 4L60E build. When I built my trans everyone in my tech world recommended I install a shift correction kit into my 4L60E. Not a shift kit, a shift correction kit. I have a 2005 tranny. I can look up the part number if you are interested. Just a thought.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2021, 08:01 AM
dvn4life1972

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The transmission is made with a braking circuit (hydraulic), sounds like that's what's going on. My 6.0/4l80e has it too but it's much more pronounced than my 5.3/4l60e

1987 YJ Wrangler...let the mods begin!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2021, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizekrakr View Post
I've not experienced that with my 4L60E build. When I built my trans everyone in my tech world recommended I install a shift correction kit into my 4L60E. Not a shift kit, a shift correction kit. I have a 2005 tranny. I can look up the part number if you are interested. Just a thought.
I think mine is an 02 or 03...can't remember. I looked up the shift correction kit and it does sound very similar to a normal shift kit but maybe not quite as aggressive. When I rebuilt my first 4L60, there were some fixes that I performed that were similar to this but ultimately I think the average full rebuild fixes most of this stuff short of a worn TCC circuit which can be enlarged or just bypassed. I bypassed that circuit on the first transmission rebuild but the current one doesn't have that and based on my experience of the guy who rebuilt this one, there are a host of wear items that could cause problems that I'm sure that guy didn't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn4life1972 View Post
The transmission is made with a braking circuit (hydraulic), sounds like that's what's going on. My 6.0/4l80e has it too but it's much more pronounced than my 5.3/4l60e
Funny since my tow vehicle is a 6.0/4L80E but I'm not sure I've ever used engine braking on it. I usually either don't have a long enough downhill to worry about brake fade or the grade is not steep enough to overcome the massive drag of a 20' enclosed trailer that's an extra foot taller than normal.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2021, 01:43 PM
dvn4life1972

1987 YJ Wrangler 

My experience has been when light or not towing, it will kick in after about 2 or 3 seconds of coasting off throttle (no cruise). I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just saying it sounds similar to what you described. This is the 6.0/4l80e in a suburban. The 5.3/4l60e I drive does it too, but it's not as pronounced or strong maybe is a better word.
Waternut likes this.

1987 YJ Wrangler...let the mods begin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in