4wd indicator light switch - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Johnyakimo1855
1984 CJ7 

4wd indicator light switch

I have a early model YJ (87-91) and I have a loose vacuum line (yellow) that is supposed to connect to the 4x4 indicator light switch. I was told it is nex to the battery. The only thing next to the battery on the jeep is the starter solenoid. Does anyone have a picture of the swich so I can see what it looks like and I can see if it is rattling around somewhere. The PO was had no business working on this jeep it is a mess. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have enough posts on here to upload a pic but if you still need one send me a pm with an email address and I can get a pic for you today or tomorrow. I have a 90 so it should be the same. Also, make sure the red one isn't disconnected, I had issues with that one and that messed up the system. One nice thing about the whole vacuum system thing is when you figure it out and the fix only takes a few minutes and few bucks lol.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
RebuildRookie

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The indicator is above the starter relay solenoid. It is light blue in color and has a vacuum line and a black w/yellow tracer wire going from it to the engine harness. It is on an L shaped bracket that attaches to the firewall. You can see the top of it in the bottom left corner of this pic

I'm a more proactive person.
You spray the ants before they get in your house.
You plant the crops before you starve.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.

post #4 of 39 Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM
jeffsme
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sorry fellas mine aint like that . my coil is on the left side of the block in a bracket near the dizzy cap !
post #5 of 39 Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
superj

mine too. pm me so i can remember to get a pic for you later

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #6 of 39 Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

post #7 of 39 Old 01-31-2020, 03:57 PM
manosr
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ancient thread, I know. But I need help testing the switch - and if you guys know where I can find it as a spare part. I don't even know how its officially called. Thanks in advance...
post #8 of 39 Old 01-31-2020, 04:53 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Get a switch for a TJ. It will screw right into the transfer case and does not depend on vacuum hoses.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-31-2020, 05:28 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

God damn. I actually don't mind necrothreads.... aside from the constant torture of countless blurry photobucket posts.

Is your 4WD still vacuum actuated? As in, two piece passenger side?

If so, just get a new YJ 4wd switch. The TJ switch should be used in conjunction with the solid one piece axle mod. Simply putting in the TJ switch will send the signal to the light - but wont actuate your 4wd as i remember it as our stock configurationg requires vacuum to actuate a collar connecting the two piece shaft. U might as well get a whole new vacuum harness for it... dirt cheap and good insurance... while you're down there.

I have a TJ switch at the Tcase, it sends the electrical signal that tells me i am in 4wd. But my one shaft doesn't need vacuum to connect my 4wd, as my passenger wheel is always engaged with the gears in the differential.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 39 Old 02-01-2020, 12:59 AM
manosr
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Its a stock YJ with the amazing vac system. I just replaced the harness, axle seems to lock but I get no dash indication
post #11 of 39 Old 02-01-2020, 07:13 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What do u mean seems to?

U should clearly feel the difference.

Have you checked if the bulb is burnt out?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #12 of 39 Old 02-01-2020, 08:23 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Early years had the switch on the firewall, not the CAD actuator. Merely a vacuum switch and extry vac lines.
Later years the switch is on the CAD actuator and a plunger switch senses when the fork moves into 4WD position.
(Take a pic of CAD actuator and post it. )

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 39 Old 02-01-2020, 02:20 PM
manosr
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
What do u mean seems to?

U should clearly feel the difference.

Have you checked if the bulb is burnt out?
I was trying to be funny (not successfully). I just haven't gone off-road since I changed the harness to make sure everything works as it should. But it locks the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Early years had the switch on the firewall, not the CAD actuator. Merely a vacuum switch and extry vac lines.
Later years the switch is on the CAD actuator and a plunger switch senses when the fork moves into 4WD position.
(Take a pic of CAD actuator and post it. )
My switch is on the firewall, the blue one. I connected the vacuum, not sure if the switch works, and I don't know how to find a new one if it doesn't. Does anyone have a link to it as a spare part?

Also, I haven't checked the bulb - dashboard disassembly really scares me...
post #14 of 39 Old 02-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosr View Post
I was trying to be funny (not successfully). I just haven't gone off-road since I changed the harness to make sure everything works as it should. But it locks the axle.

My switch is on the firewall, the blue one. I connected the vacuum, not sure if the switch works, and I don't know how to find a new one if it doesn't. Does anyone have a link to it as a spare part?

Also, I haven't checked the bulb - dashboard disassembly really scares me...
If anything happens to the firewall switch, scrap it and ebay a CAD switch that mounts to the axle. Extend the wire. The switch works as a ground for the dash light.
Pulling the dash bezel to inspect the light bulbs need not be scary. You aren't taking the dash apart, just removing a light weight bezel from the front.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #15 of 39 Old 02-02-2020, 12:07 PM
manosr
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I will check the bulb, what's the worst that can happen?
My issue remains: I'd like to find a vac firewall 4WD indicator switch, new. I don't know how...and believe me I have googled a lot...
(BTW thanks for all the replies!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in