4 link fitment ideas - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

4 link fitment ideas

So I was laying under my jeep this evening dreaming about how I'm going to make my 4 link rear work with everything that is currently underneath there combined with my original plans and goals. First issue is that my muffler is in the way of the passenger upper frame mount. I can modify this to work... I think. However, this issue has me re-evaluating my desire for a stretch.

So stretching brings me back to running a fuel cell in the bed. I really...REALLY don't want to run a fuel cell in the bed but I'm getting closer and closer to it just to allow my links to be longer and fit everything a bit easier. I don't ever drive with a top on my jeep so if I decide it's a nice day and drive the jeep to work, the gas tank will be in the sun all day and probably dump fuel everywhere if it's close to full. I wouldn't mind cutting a hole in the bed of the jeep for a spout if I managed to fit a fuel cell in the stock location though but not sure how that'd work.

If I were to stretch the wheelbase, has anyone tried denting a stock tank? I recall reading something about this but I can't seem to find the information to see how much clearance this could add or if it'd even be worth it. I currently have the 15 gal metal gas tank and I seem to recall people only denting the plastic one with heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't recall how much stretch Erik ended up with, but as a guess he went to ~104".

Here's an idea for an exhaust run on Erik's linked YJ.

He used a GenRight under tub stretch tank & put it in the tub.

We built an aluminum cover & small carry tray over the top for it afterwards but I don't have pics of that.

The front & rear 3/4 link was custom built & works like a champ.

On mine, I went with a GenRight 23 gallon tub cell since the pump is basically plug & play.

post #3 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 04:27 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I was in the same boat with no cell in the tub. One of the reasons I went with the unlimited stretch. Also GR makes the crawler tank that can net you 4-6" of stretch. They are pricey, but currently the only game in town for a tank in stock location.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

@Joe Dillard I am running the same fuel cell but closer to the tail gate. Is your pump obnoxiously loud?
@Waternut quite a few people have dimpled the poly tank. It seems that the more you dimple it the more chance you have of cracking down the road. You could probably get 3 or 4 inches.

post #5 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I think I can get 1/2" to 1" of rear stretch right now before the diff hits the gas tank skid and I know I can get another 1-2" inches in the front with minimal work as well. I might even be able to dent/cut the gas tank skid plate in a very minor way to get a hair more. I'm currently sitting a 96" so this would put my wheelbase at 98"-100".

So I'm partially onboard with the option of running a fuel cell in the bed and putting a cargo rack over the wheel wells for extra storage space. However, I keep bouncing back and forth because that's a lot of work and money for a few extra inches of wheelbase. My other thought was if I can get 98" without reworking the whole gas tank situation and cutting/fabbing new fender flares, maybe that's my easiest compromise. The upper link brackets are adjustable so if the links need to be lengthened a lot at a later date, I should still have the flexibility to keep the anti-squat numbers reasonable and it should only require new links at most....although I'd probably cut and sleeve the links if that was the case.

post #6 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 12:37 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

When I stretched my CJ I went 5" forward with the front and 10" back with the rear and four linked both and swapped Chevy 14 bolt rear and 44 front and run at 109" wheel base and 38s and love it. Tons of flex and real stable. I can run to the top of an RTI ramp and even over the back side and never lift a rear tire. that is some flex!!! I have a poly fuel cell from Jegs in the bed and a Yakama rack over it that I mounted a couple of large tool boxes to haul stuff and even mount an air tank and cooler up there. I never had anyone in the back seat while wheeling anyway. The exhaust wasn't a big deal to reroute a bit.
Attached Images

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #7 of 23 Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
@Joe Dillard I am running the same fuel cell but closer to the tail gate. Is your pump obnoxiously loud?
Not at all. I can barely hear/notice it once I start it.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Not at all. I can barely hear/notice it once I start it.
Must be my Bosch pump. I need to find an OE one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #9 of 23 Old 06-29-2019, 04:24 PM
'92 vegas YJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I spent many wasted years doing the little 1-2" stretches front and rear. I ran a dimpled stock tank and had no problems but was never real happy with just an additional inch or two. I ended up doing the unlimited stretch AND running a cell in the back and have zero regrets. I never wanted to run a cell and did a lot to avoid it but once I did I realized that its not that big of a deal to me. I'm now running a 115" wheelbase and am finally at a happy spot.

87TPIYJ likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-29-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I spent many wasted years doing the little 1-2" stretches front and rear. I ran a dimpled stock tank and had no problems but was never real happy with just an additional inch or two. I ended up doing the unlimited stretch AND running a cell in the back and have zero regrets. I never wanted to run a cell and did a lot to avoid it but once I did I realized that its not that big of a deal to me. I'm now running a 115" wheelbase and am finally at a happy spot.
As much as I'd love to have that setup, it's a big leap in both time and money to go from a 96" WB with D30/8.8 axles and 35's to a full on 115" WB with 40+'s and full size axles. Realistically, I'm not ready to put forth the effort for a YJ-8 at this time either. I don't really have too many people of that caliber to be competing/keeping up with either and I still enjoy driving my jeep on the road when the weather is nice.

post #11 of 23 Old 06-29-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my current solution to exhaust clearance... Cutting 6 or so inches off the exhaust setup is basically free but took a bit longer than I had planned to accomplish. With 4th of July coming up and friends coming in town, the whole 4 link setup will have to wait until afterwards but this is something that needs to be done and I can accomplish it now and still use the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
20190626_194135_resized.jpg   20190629_182056_resized.jpg  

post #12 of 23 Old 06-30-2019, 11:30 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
As much as I'd love to have that setup, it's a big leap in both time and money to go from a 96" WB with D30/8.8 axles and 35's to a full on 115" WB with 40+'s and full size axles. Realistically, I'm not ready to put forth the effort for a YJ-8 at this time either.
I dont think Chris is saying that you need to run 42s and 115" wheelbase to be happy. I was given the same advice: you will never notice 1 or 2" and it probably won't be worth the cost. As I mentioned before, if you're gonna put this much work into something I would shoot for 5, 6 or 7" of stretch. Wheelbase can have an affect on ride quality too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I spent many wasted years doing the little 1-2" stretches front and rear. I ran a dimpled stock tank and had no problems but was never real happy with just an additional inch or two.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #13 of 23 Old 07-01-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I dont think Chris is saying that you need to run 42s and 115" wheelbase to be happy. I was given the same advice: you will never notice 1 or 2" and it probably won't be worth the cost. As I mentioned before, if you're gonna put this much work into something I would shoot for 5, 6 or 7" of stretch. Wheelbase can have an affect on ride quality too.

Maybe you'll roll your eyes at this but the goal is 5-7" of total stretch from a stock 93" wheelbase. It's just that I currently have 3" already from a previous mod to better my shackle angles and now that I'm changing things, I have the oppurtunity to get some more without a lot of work. I've only felt unstable a couple times climbing things so I don't have a legit need to stretch at this time. The trails I've gone to seem to be more limited by breakover height even with a flat skid which is also why I don't want to stretch too far.

post #14 of 23 Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Breakover angle is definitely an important thing to keep in mind. 98-100" is a pretty good goal.

post #15 of 23 Old 07-01-2019, 10:41 AM
daddyjeep87

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am real happy with my 102" WB and RCI 2162 behind the seat.

The only drawback for me with the fuel cell is the loss of storage. I want to lower it through the floor to the bottom of the frame, but have to figure out how to fit mufflers under there somewhere because my Flowmaster currently resides where I want my fuel cell. I have a lot of time in my exhaust to keep it out of harms way and make it fit around the drive train and suspension.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in